What's new

The Practicality of Throw Escapes

Left arm = 1
Right arm = 2
Both = 1+2
There used to be an online Tekken throw trainer that you could test your sight breaks.

I've never been able to actually see the different arm positions for most throws (the 1+2 is generally visible), but I've seen people break consistently enough to believe it.

d3v

SRK
I know there are some players who have developed an impressive ability to tech quite a lot of throws, many of which come from Street Fighter, if I'm not mistaken. But the question is, how does one achieve such a consistency?
Throw teching in Street Fighter III had a very tricky window. There were more frames to tech the throw before it connected (4 I believe) than after (2 frames). This meant that it was better to tech throws on prediction than on reaction. SFIV has a more lenient window but it's still not one that you can truly tech on by pure reaction alone (the number of frames is still in the single digits). This should explain how SF players, especially vets from 3S, get better at teching.

In other words, if you want to get better at teching, play 3rd Strike so you learn to read when you're going to get thrown and tech accordingly instead of simply reacting to when you get thrown.

Last edited:

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
In MK it was awesome how you can mash techs. In SCV you can duck and punish. In IGAU I have comfort problems having my finger on the throw button no matter where I put it so I can't tech for shit online unless I read it. But offline I have enough time to travel my finger across the MB button to the Throw button. And in SF and Melty Blood I just can't see any visual cue to react to so I just get thrown all the time.

d3v

SRK
Having only bought the game 2 weeks ago and not really playing regularly, it'll be a long way before I get set-ups down. I still have time linking Ken's J.Roundhouse , cr.Forward x H.SRK x Super
The easiest way to get around throws is to just attempt to throw whenever you and your opponent are both in throw range. At the very least, you'll also end up throwing them if they're not going for a throw.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
If you're an online warrior, you'll basically only be teching on reads. I tech MAYBE 20% of the throws coming my way and that's mostly because I figure one is coming when I've been blocking well. Glad they only do like 11% damage.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
If you're an online warrior, you'll basically only be teching on reads. I tech MAYBE 20% of the throws coming my way and that's mostly because I figure one is coming when I've been blocking well. Glad they only do like 11% damage.
Lobo's does 15% when traited up. :D

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
My top favorite Throws.
1. Scorpion throw
2. Cyrax throw (two variations)
3. Ermac throw
4. Noob trow
5. Any King's grappling move from Tekken

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
The easiest way to get around throws is to just attempt to throw whenever you and your opponent are both in throw range. At the very least, you'll also end up throwing them if they're not going for a throw.
And then get cr.Forwarded into combo. I'd rather take the throw damage. But I try my best to adapt to the tendencies of the opponent. It's hard to download someone in only 1 match though.

Which is why I need people to constantly play with.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
And then get cr.Forwarded into combo. I'd rather take the throw damage. But I try my best to adapt to the tendencies of the opponent. It's hard to download someone in only 1 match though.

Which is why I need people to constantly play with.
I am a total scrub in SF, I will play with you if you'd like.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I get thrown in casuals all the time but in serious matches offline I tech pretty well in Injustice. Sometimes I take the throw on purpose because I want them to think it is an option, sometimes give me an escape later in the mach when I am in a bad spot but they go for the throw, and I can get the tech.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
If I get it, I'll let you know. I literally have no idea what I am doing though, just a warning.
Same here. Like I said before, I bought the game 2 weeks ago and don't ever really touch it. I just like to parry shit and enjoy the GGPO netcode lol. I'm going to start learning Akuma though just because he seems to have the flashiest combo. (j.RH , cr.FW x L.Tatsu , H.SRK so flashy...)