What's new

The overlooked move.

Crathen

Death is my business
Don't forget that you can still f2-> flamethrower wich seems to be safer thanks to pushback , needs some testing tho , still any character with a fast advancing special will punish the flamethrower after f2

Robotic

Gentleman.
So, of the 7 I listed, it is number 2 that is in dispute. Ill try to get on today and abuse the F2B1 move in the hopes that someone punishes, someone blocks the first hit and try to duck the 2nd, or see if it is truly safe on block since i havent been punished for it. If reason #2 carries more risk than I thought but still reasonably safe depending on the situation, I will continue to say the move is awesome and needs to be used by all of us since the other six reasons are not in dispute.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
So, of the 7 I listed, it is number 2 that is in dispute. Ill try to get on today and abuse the F2B1 move in the hopes that someone punishes, someone blocks the first hit and try to duck the 2nd, or see if it is truly safe on block since i havent been punished for it. If reason #2 carries more risk than I thought but still reasonably safe depending on the situation, I will continue to say the move is awesome and needs to be used by all of us since the other six reasons are not in dispute.
True but you've also left out some huge points such as how f2b1 cannot be hit confirmed and the second hit can be ducked and punished.

Also how b1 will beat out parry's.

I think that enough makes f2b1 obsolete like Altaire said. Although f2 on its own is still a good move and can be cancelled into straight missle which I think is unpunishable or at least safer than blocked flame.

Point 7's very interesting though, not the fact that you can use f2 b1 but that means that after any d4 on hit against a standing opponent you can do 124 straight missle or 122 straight missle both of which build half a bar of metre and do 7% chip. That seems very good to me.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Stuff I found out just now and still a few questions.

1. If both hits are blocked, I believe this is still safe on block - there is a weird block stun ur opponent is left in where it looks like he COULD move, but cant. Ive yet to be punished. Anyone else, please verify.

2. F1 hits on crouch block for chip, but B2 whiffs.

3. I dont know if ur opponent can stand block the first hit and have enough time to crouch block the 2nd hit so it can be punished. This scenario has not happened yet and I dont have a human opponent to set up this situation.

If all ur opponent is going to is crouch block, then I see B1 definitely being more viable. With Sektors complete tool set to look out for combined with the general speed of the game, constant crouch block is something I dont see someone doing too much. I appreciate the sound discussion so far.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
If your opponent loves to block low (which they probably will against Sektor since he has a great low combo starter) I would recommend 122. Putting this in the mix with both 1,2 ~ 1,2,b1 ~ 2,1,4 ~ 2,1 creates some nice up close game play.

I haven't had great success with f2,b1 and it's one of the only things Sektor has that I have pretty much removed from my move list. Missile up close on block isn't safe by the way. Flamethrower on block is safe against a lot of the cast, but some can punish it from even full block (Mileena, Reptile, Kabal, Sektor)

Robotic

Gentleman.
Yh if somebody could test just how unsafe it is that would be great, so far the only method I have is making the cpu block the attack then changing them to jump and jumping at the same time and they jump quite a bit faster before you can.
Changing cpu jump options/block options/any options while in the middle of doing things is unreliable. Try this: in practice mode, launch an upmissile on no block. The moment that missile hits, switch to block. Do an immediate normal tele uppercut, cpu will block. Change to auto block and do the exact same scenario. TU will hit. Which one is right?

Altaire

Noob
If your opponent loves to block low (which they probably will against Sektor since he has a great low combo starter) I would recommend 122. Putting this in the mix with both 1,2 ~ 1,2,b1 ~ 2,1,4 ~ 2,1 creates some nice up close game play.

I haven't had great success with f2,b1 and it's one of the only things Sektor has that I have pretty much removed from my move list. Missile up close on block isn't safe by the way. Flamethrower on block is safe against a lot of the cast, but some can punish it from even full block (Mileena, Reptile, Kabal, Sektor)
122 is easy to fuzzy guard. Against a crouching opponent, you're better off just throwing or using his 2 1 mixup.

122 is easy to fuzzy guard. Against a crouching opponent, you're better off just throwing or using his 2 1 mixup.
i do 12 12 then my opponent usually ducks and pokes ..ill take the 3% so i can do 12 122~upmissle next time and get some good pressure. i do like his 21 string too with the 214, also 124 isnt bad but can be interupted after the 2. you can connect a special after the 4 though which can throw the opponent off. the 124 is odd because its in his movelist as a combo but the 4 doesnt count as part of the combo.

Robotic

Gentleman.
i do 12 12 then my opponent usually ducks and pokes ..ill take the 3% so i can do 12 122~upmissle next time and get some good pressure. i do like his 21 string too with the 214, also 124 isnt bad but can be interupted after the 2. you can connect a special after the 4 though which can throw the opponent off. the 124 is odd because its in his movelist as a combo but the 4 doesnt count as part of the combo.
So we're done talking about the point of the thread then?

Fine. Regarding 214: This IS a combo. The natural delay between the 1 and 4 makes it seem like it isn't, but it is. if the 1 connects, the 4 is unavoidable.

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating: the natural delay of the 214 combo is your best friend. Because of the delay, it literally masks ANYTHING you are going to do next after the 1. I've even gotten away with cancelling into upmissile sometimes because my opponent has been trained to be afraid of my options after the 21. Don't take all this "on paper" stuff and decide whether it's cool or not without having a go at it. Take all this "on paper" stuff and really check it out in in-game situations, THEN decide.

Fine. Regarding 214: This IS a combo. The natural delay between the 1 and 4 makes it seem like it isn't, but it is. if the 1 connects, the 4 is unavoidable.

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating: the natural delay of the 214 combo is your best friend. Because of the delay, it literally masks ANYTHING you are going to do next after the 1. I've even gotten away with cancelling into upmissile sometimes because my opponent has been trained to be afraid of my options after the 21. Don't take all this "on paper" stuff and decide whether it's cool or not without having a go at it. Take all this "on paper" stuff and really check it out in in-game situations, THEN decide.
yeah i usually use 214 but i have to incorporate 124 more. I use 122 though more then those strings and its pretty effective. Sorry about not talking about the f2. i use f2 for the first hit of the round. And i also do the f2 poke alot if they are dash blocking into me then i eventually do f2b1 after a bunch of blocked f2 and the b1 part usually will hit them. If they keep blocking the f2b1 i just do f2 and apply some 12 pressure

devil_puncher

Sektor Supreme
Ahhh good old F2B1, is a way better option than B1, but then again a random B1 from time to time can throw your oppenent off guard too. I also like to do a F2, flamethrower in there too sometimes.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Ahhh good old F2B1, is a way better option than B1, but then again a random B1 from time to time can throw your oppenent off guard too. I also like to do a F2, flamethrower in there too sometimes.
F2B1 is punished by fast specials, and at the least gives your opponent decent advantage, can be crouched blocked and punished if f2 is blocked crouching - whilst being unhitcofirmable and doesn't beat out parries. All for 2% extra ship, 4% extra damage and a bit more pushback?

f2 flame is probably better but you use f2b1 for pushback therefore just use b1.

devil puncher, good stuff during the tourney last night. I was yelling at my computer screen though when you kept dropping the combos. i was trying to tell dr.dogg to tell you to just do 12b1 f44 j.k extu etc. cuz you kept dropping the b34 into extu. you played alright but you didnt take advantage of sektors corner combos :/ good stuff though

Robotic

Gentleman.
Just for the sake of clarity, I don't mean to drop B1 completely - it is a helluva move, after all. The point is to enlighten those who may not have thought too much about F2B1 as an option. In situations where you may throw out B1, F2B1 may actually turn out to be the better option of the two, just something to consider.

If it is punished by fast specials - which I don't doubt - I have literally never been punished for it. That means either it isn't true, or F2B1 is such a surprise in a match due to the speed and situation that it is extremely difficult to read and punish. There aren't that many super fast advancing specials in this game anyway.

Thanks to Spongebob for pointing out that B1 is invulnerable to parries (unsure about JC's X-ray), so I do not use F2B1 against Kang and CSZ at all, helping even MORE in those matchups.

The key difference I believe is b1 pushes you and the opponent away from one another while leaving them standing...
[f2,b1] is cancel-able after f2 into shenanigans, it advances Sektor a great deal forward and knocks the opponent away/to the ground...

I think b1 is more defensive and better against turtlers and dash blockers- as its you check them while keeping safe
I think [f1,b2] is more aggressive and better against a reckless rush-down and crossover jump punches- as it advances you in to attack, something that can through off the opponent depending on what your leading play style was

I'm really curious if [f2,b1] is really overlooked...because to be quite honest I use both b1 and [f2,b1]. The really overlooking is that I don't see many Sektors to be begin with- so its hard to judge if a move is "overlooked".

How about [2,1,3] ? I don't see anyone talked about it...its comes out really quick [2,1...] can be canceled into shenanigans or it can be used as a wonderful poke because so many are unfamiliar with the move. The last hit moves Sektor forward a great deal and has a pause before its animation...I have purposely wiffed [2,1] so that I might hit them with the advancing 3. I actually believe [2,1,3] to be one of Sektor's more viable answers to rushdown when parried with [1,1,b1]

How about [f4,3]? Lots of people choose [f4,4] instead but [f4,3] cancels MUCH quicker into telekick and I believe launches them higher than when canceled off [f4,4]

My point is its hard to talk about an "overlooked move" on an "overlooked character"; I don't mean to troll this thread but I'm just saying.

Yikes seems like someone already made my point! I need to read closer...nicely said...I never thought about mindgames with it however......good idea!

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Just for the sake of clarity, I don't mean to drop B1 completely - it is a helluva move, after all. The point is to enlighten those who may not have thought too much about F2B1 as an option. In situations where you may throw out B1, F2B1 may actually turn out to be the better option of the two, just something to consider.

If it is punished by fast specials - which I don't doubt - I have literally never been punished for it. That means either it isn't true, or F2B1 is such a surprise in a match due to the speed and situation that it is extremely difficult to read and punish. There aren't that many super fast advancing specials in this game anyway.

Thanks to Spongebob for pointing out that B1 is invulnerable to parries (unsure about JC's X-ray), so I do not use F2B1 against Kang and CSZ at all, helping even MORE in those matchups.
It was sao who pointed it out earlier in the thread I think. JC's x-ray beats b1 too, it beats a ton of stuff even a close projectile lol.

F2B1 isn't completely worthless it depends who your fighting against there are few situations though where it's better to use than B1, but people are unfamiliar with f2b1 which is why you've probably never been punished for it. It still is 100% punishable and very easily punishable by specials like elbow dash and superman though.

If its going unpunished which might actually happen fairly often against unknowledgable opponents then theres no reason not to use it over B1 I guess. But against smarter players that see it a few times B1's better 99% of the time.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
How about [f4,3]? Lots of people choose [f4,4] instead but [f4,3] cancels MUCH quicker into telekick and I believe launches them higher than when canceled off [f4,4]
I actually only ever do f43 now instead of f44. There are a few advantages to doing this.

1) For some reason even though its the same amount of hits but does less damage often it does 1% more than f44 in a combo.
2) It doesn't affect combo's at all either they seem to drop at around the same rate.
3) You can cancel into TU straight away with no worries of doing f4TU. It's not exactly a mistake I ever really made but still a benefit.
4) And it speeds up the combo and looks cooler too.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Neither are worthless by any means.

B1 - can hit a lot of characters even while they are D+4 but has slower startup. You can use it for corner lock-down with most characters and keep players frustrated as hell in doing so. As people have said, it's great for defense and it kills aggressive players momentum with pushback

F2, B1 - VERY useful for Sektor because he doesnt really have too much speed. I used to use this solely for punishing Lao spins, something a lot of characters don't have. I wouldn't use it for chip (or often in a match) if your opponent knows what they are doing. 15% is pretty good damage for something that isn't much work. You just need to learn when to use it instead of the flamethrower for it to be effective.

It's impossible to hit confirm which limits it a lot, but a fast 15% for Sektor for stuff that is just out of reach while a player is vulnerable is necessary for him. As I said, great for Lao spins, and then just F2 ~ throw mixup/chip when the opponent catches on.

I like that it juggles too. Not very useful for combos but again, great distance normals for a character that doesn't really have them elsewhere.
Wouldn't 12b1 be the much better punisher for spin? Even online its easy enough to dash up and 12b1 after a blocked spin most of the time

F2B1 is definitely dependent on the situation. I stick to B1 to keep people honest.

That said, F2B1 advances forward, and adds to Sektor's mix-up game. Not really an obsolete move, but you have to know when to use it.