What's new

Strategy The Only Buff that Matters

I guess its time we talk about buffs and nerfs in depth. So we know that Jaquis zoning is solid and Quan Cheadle aka Captain Planet's vortex is rediculous! However the likes of Shinnok and Kenshi need more than a touch up. Which you would be lead to believe if TYM's community were NRS lawmakers. However the true buff thread that everyone overlooked is...

This community needs BUFFS. The Community's cry is +3 weeks on release. +3 WEEKS. Over 20 days of complaining about relatively small things. Forgetting that every character cant be top tier. In the current MKX meta we dont have a Kabal or Cyrax.. we're still at a point where people dont use certain variations for certain MUs.

Matter of fact all the characters aren't even released yet so you cant even have finalized thoughts. Half of the buff threads I see tend to cater to "I dont want effort to be required to play with (INSERT CHARACTER HERE)"

We are still in a stage where Erron Black isnt considered top tier.. but one wins all the tournaments. However instead of the level up Option Select we d3xxCryMoar

Which is -11 in productivity. Remember at the start of MK9 no one was saying nerf Kabal. People cried for Kano ners at one point.

Howd that turn out?

At least let the game develop. Its one thing to talk about your characters strengths and weaknesses. However this sense of entitlement that my character needs X because this other character has it iz ridiculous. We should do this for cars to guys.

My Civic needs 240 on the dash it cant keep up with Bugatti #BuffCivics

If all you care about is WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN nothing is stopping you from picking top tiers in any fighter. But if youre playing for enjoyment of MK it shouldn't mattee. Only buffs that are required is when a character cant compete with the Majority of the cast. Nerfs are only required when a sequence centralizes the meta see Super man's f23xxAthsma. Anything else is charity work or catering. Balances sure havent hurt anime fighters or Marvel V Capcom.. or Smash.

Hey Im still waiting on Stryker buffs............... but no one cared cuz... stryker!

I hate using mobile... ill clean up typos when I get home.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Erron Black is considered to be top tier.

Also props for "F23 xx Asthma" lol

I agree with the whole "there's no Kabal/Cyrax" statement. MKX is looking decently balanced, considering there's been no significant balance patches. Probably because of variations. There's usually at least one variation that's good enough to keep people from demanding buffs.

Last edited:
While i agree with the overall statement in the OP I don't necessarily think all these buff/nerf X character threads are all that bad. They foster a lot of discussion which is always a good thing on a competitive forum, and i usually learn something from the dissenting opinions following the initial post.

With that being said...#BuffmileenasF3

Half of the cast has bullshit. Playing to avoid your opponent being able to initiate said bullshit is the way to go.

I hate to compare this to marvel because its super extreme, but marvel is the ultimate defense and footsie / know your match up game. If you get hit, you die. Mkx isnt as extreme, but people are having trouble adjusting to spacing and footsies mattering so much.

Half of the cast has bullshit. Playing to avoid your opponent being able to initiate said bullshit is the way to go.

I hate to compare this to marvel because its super extreme, but marvel is the ultimate defense and footsie / know your match up game. If you get hit, you die. Mkx isnt as extreme, but people are having trouble adjusting to spacing and footsies mattering so much.
I know but the knee jerk is amazing. People were cool with Mr Bar and a Dreamrax and all. However with an important neutral game its amazing how fast we find the boy who cried Buff.

I kinda want to make a thread about there being way too many "ugh, this community!" threads, but I honestly don't know how to do so without it defeating the original point...
Well to be fair I think at least half of my threads are talk of community analysis. I used to moderate a board so I've seen it all. Its almost like my overplayed shtick.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
If anything, players need a buff. The game isnt even a month old and people are already buffs for buffs. Let the game progress for at least a month and a half before a patch. >.<

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
i didn't know that any person with a tym account is considered part of the community.

im sure a lot of people here think their on a higher level than online casuals just by knowing about tym or being around actual top players. but from what i can tell a majority of the members here still operate like casuals. with the huge influx of 150+ members on at any given time since the release of new game, can you honestly be surprised with all these eye-rolling threads?

it's like that spongebob episode with the anchovies. we're outnumbered right now, but it will pass.

Last edited:

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Every time someone posts about Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, I always have to correct them.

Marvel is super broken right now. Doom/Vergil dominate the game, and about half the cast receives almost no tournament representation because the struggle is too real. Marvel has been in need of a patch since 2012.

With that said, MKX and Injustice both appear to be balanced in comparison to MK9. Plenty of characters seems viable, and no one is ridiculously broken.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
@AK Black Preon

Let me preface this by saying, I agree with the core of your post and I mean no disrespect but...

Get off your soapbox dude.

There's nobody left at TYM that NRS cares about.
Anyone that has any influence avoids this place like the plague. The people who come here demanding buffs/nerfs are just frustrated and need a space to vent. Don't try to make them feel bad for it. You can't scold them into maturity or perspective. The "community" you think you're addressing doesn't really exist here anymore.

Oh and @Shaazzyam , what makes you so sure that new membership will slow to a point where we can return to intelligent discussion by skilled players? Even if the old membership returned, what indication do you have that the old TYM won't be so diluted by the flood of new membership that it's completely unrecognizable and unrecoverable?

If you put a teabag in a swimming pool and take a sip, does it taste like tea?

Oh oh, I thought of a better analogy!

If you pour a bottle of spring water into the ocean, how does the ocean taste?

Salty.

Last edited:
This community does need a buff. I am mostly referring to the misinformed "holier than thou, above the rest if them" folks. Like someone else said, a lot of the nerf/buff threads house amazing discussion and allow people like myself to level up. What really hurts this community is the select few people who go to those threads to contribute absolutely nothing positive hopping from thread to thread bitching about people "bitching". Yawn.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Every time someone posts about Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, I always have to correct them.

Marvel is super broken right now. Doom/Vergil dominate the game, and about half the cast receives almost no tournament representation because the struggle is too real. Marvel has been in need of a patch since 2012.

With that said, MKX and Injustice both appear to be balanced in comparison to MK9. Plenty of characters seems viable, and no one is ridiculously broken.
This. Doom acts as both a free combo breaker, a lockdown tool for any and all zoning, a mixup, an OTG, and the best TAC partner in the game for his easy infinite, meter build and corner damage. Vergil is just pure comeback and poke dominance out there with his damage and loops. They destroy the whole game.

They get that and guys like Ironman and Ironfist cant even get good launchers...hell Ironfist has one tool period and its high low pressure, but he has no air mobility, no anti air and his wavedash means squat in a game with beams and hidden missile interruptions. Plus Ironfist's High/low rekka mixups means jack because they know to block low because he will not use his overhead because it puts them in a bounce state making it so he cannot use his launcher or his crumple to extend anything he gets after that thus crippling the whole combo if he gets it.

Yeah...game is super inbalanced, riddled with infinites, and even for a game known for being bullshit vs bullshit it is too filled with bullshit to even stand up as a decent quality scene anymore. Its the same matches all day with most dominated by the same old tried and true Doom/Vergil stuff.

That stated...yes IGAU and MKX are much better balanced than UMVC3. They are a completely different kind of game with a completely different kind of balance so its apples and oranges though. They don't have much in common to compare them.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
@AK Black Preon

Let me preface this by saying, I agree with the core of your post and I mean no disrespect but...

There's nobody left at TYM that NRS cares about.
Anyone that has any influence avoids this place like the plague. The people who come here demanding buffs/nerfs are just frustrated and need a space to vent. Don't try to make them feel bad for it. You can't scold them into maturity or perspective. The "community" you think you're addressing doesn't really exist here anymore.

Oh and @Shaazzyam , what makes you so sure that new membership will slow to a point where we can return to intelligent discussion by skilled players? Even if the old membership returned, what indication do you have that the old TYM won't be so diluted by the flood of new membership that it's completely unrecognizable and unrecoverable?

If you put a teabag in a swimming pool and take a sip, does it taste like tea?

Oh oh, I thought of a better analogy!

If you pour a bottle of spring water into the ocean, how does the ocean taste?

Salty.
the answer is in the name: casual. we've all been one. And 2 things happen over the life cycle of a casual. either they grow tired and jump to the next new thing or they succesfully stick it out to become another welcome face at your next offline local.

this place will be fine a couple months after evo.

People are only focusing on the balance of the character's best variation. Why not try to get all the variations to be as equally played as possible? How many times have you seen a dualist liu kang, unbreakable sub, ethereal mileena, high-tech jaqui, master of storms raiden, or brood mother d'vorha?

@AK Black Preon

The people who come here demanding buffs/nerfs are just frustrated and need a space to vent. Don't try to make them feel bad for it.
My goal isn't to make anyone feel bad its a video game its not worth it. I would just like to tell them "relax". Let things "develop". However when they vent I usually ignore it because starting an argument over their post isn't worth it. However saying that the common folk dont have any influence isn't true at all. However if you think that I'm on a soapbox, then so be it, but outside of moves not working see Dualist Liu Kang and things of that nature. How can we talk nerfs and buffs with a straight face when half the people probably haven't fought 3 matches against an unbreakable Sub-zero or Brood mother D'vorah, or a Non Summoner Quan Chi? Hell even non-bojutsu kung jins? That's all Im getting at.

But if this "community" no longer exists, then I don't know who all these people are making posts. As far as Im concerned, casual or not we should be in this together for a better game.