What's new

The One Change I want to see to the Breakaway Mechanic

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
Since the stress test, everyone from Sonicfox to Maximilian have been complaining loudly about this mechanic. At first, I agreed with most of the complaints, but now, since the discovery of "safe combos" and 16bit confirming on one of the Kasts that you can bait it and D2 it for a raw 12% (the d2 used to scale during the stress test/beta), as well as the length of cooldown it puts your defensive meter on, I'm not against it as the majority of players were. and still are.

But there is one change that I'd like to see and it's a slight nerf, but a very much needed one imo. As of now, you can immediately breakaway a Krushing blow move that launches. I propose that they should make Krushing blow pop ups untechable unless the attacker does a second pop-up mid combo (like Baraka's gutted).

Here's my reasoning:

- Krushing blows are only once per match, so the moment you land it and expect big damage, you just get immediately breakaway-ed. I've seen this happen with literally every Krushing blow in some matches, and I've had it happen to me when I got a scorpion F34 on counter hit. They expect us to fulfill requirements, and then wait for our opponents defensive bar to be low to do them? Doesn't seem fair to me.

- All other Krushing blows don't get affected by this. There are many launcher KBs, but there are also grabs, DOT's, projectiles, etc. All are unavoidable if they land and do insane damage in one hit. Completely guaranteed. Why should launcher KB's be excluded from this? It just makes the launcher KB's weak, and makes the characters that rely on them weaker.

- Again, this doesn't apply to extensions. Only the initial launch. So doing a KB launch into a string/juggle into an ender would still be untechable. But doing a KB launch into a string into another launcher special, that second pop up can be breakaway-ed. Or you can just lock it out for few seconds. whatever it takes to get the job done.

Usually I'm not one to demand game balance changes before the full release of a game, but I feel like this is something that was probably overlooked when being designed, and I hope it gets addressed.

Let me know what you guys think.

hkriderz

You get the KB, opponent does the Breakaway, you d2 him that doesnt scale with the KB, you get oki, pressure him relentlessly, grab him, tick throw him, shimmy him, mix him up. Tell me that isnt enough a reward for you.
So you expect someone to fulfill the KB requirement, and then neuter their damage to bait the breakaway? When you get it only once per game? And by the way, it's not like you can react to the break. It has to be hard read.

Also, with ones like scorpions f34 and barakas f44 KBs which are not technically launchers but become cancelable. The opponent can break those and you can't even try and bait them for a d2. How is that fair?

Last edited:

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
Breakaway is fine. All they need to do is add a little more recovery to it because getting krushing blow uppercutted for punishing them and doing a combo that they can tech out of is just stupid.

But I will say the way it is now makes moves that restand and extend combos really good

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I think this is a fine idea, honestly. There are typically unbreakable/unburstable moves in games like this, and I think KBs are a fine fit. Highly conditional, limited, intended to feel very powerful and rewarding. This change makes KB fit into how the devs have described what they're meant to do all the more. Even if counterplay exists, getting a KB broken out of it is deflating what should otherwise be a very exciting moment nonetheless.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I understood people complaining about this and the flawless block launcher, and was unsure whether it should be changed or not. Then I saw a guy use the flawless block launcher against a safe move, launch the opponent, only for him to break out of the combo and punish him instead.

It was the hypest shit ever.

Ninja edit: Oh, i realize I really didn't answer to the OP. That is a more specific situation, I would probably leave it as it is, but it's a valid concern.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
So you expect someone to fulfill the KB requirement, and then neuter their damage to bait the breakaway? When you get it only once per game? And by the way, it's not like you can react to the break. It has to be hard read.

Also, with ones like scorpions f34 and barakas f44 KBs which are not technically launchers but become cancelable. The opponent can break those and you can't even try and bait them for a d2. How is that fair?
Its pretty fair, because okizeme by itself is a big reward, your opponent has no more defensive meter , so you can just go ape shit crazy with your offense.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
I completely agree with OP.

Like what? There is barely any crazy offense in this game.
I meant you can start pressuring your opponent without hesitation, its all in your favor, since you know, Breakaway uses all of your defensive meter.

On the one hand I'll straight admit that it seems they've at least kept some of the issues in mind in design. The obvious example, scorp having his "launcher" route, but also his "grounded" route so he isn't always screwed by the breakaway. I'm hoping they can pull this off (it does have the upside of being able to be circumvented by not launching) but I am worried that we'll still see, at the very least, a meta where entire characters aren't viable because people who NEED to launch are just worse.

Getting an unscaled uppercut on read is better than before, where i felt there was basically 0 reward for read (BUT OKI is so not a reward in comparison to the risk), but I'm hoping that doesn't wind up super risky or often unfeasible.

I understood people complaining about this and the flawless block launcher, and was unsure whether it should be changed or not. Then I saw a guy use the flawless block launcher against a safe move, launch the opponent, only for him to break out of the combo and punish him instead.

It was the hypest shit ever.

Ninja edit: Oh, i realize I really didn't answer to the OP. That is a more specific situation, I would probably leave it as it is, but it's a valid concern.
And then on the other hand there's this. This sounds like my nightmare scenario. "Did a safe move and got launched" translates to "basically never use anything if they have meter" once people get the game down. Sonic is already talking about option selecting this shit (so there's maybe no way to even bait it) and a launcher is a silly high payoff.

Worse since the "counter" to this is "well they can break out", it actually means that once you've spent one bar, you should likely NEVER be aggressive if the opponent has 1 bar. You risk eating an unscaled launcher, so sit back and block/zone because going in is just not a viable option when you're looking at half your moveset being punishable with no recourse.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I feel like certain moves outside of Fatal Blows should be able to break the armor of breakaways. Like maybe Uppercutting a breakaway attempt can lead to a relaunch, that'd make the mindgame of it much more exciting.

Error404

Noob
I meant you can start pressuring your opponent without hesitation, its all in your favor, since you know, Breakaway uses all of your defensive meter.
Yeah , I got that. I just can't really agree that pressure is super scary in this game (atleast from what we've seen so far).

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I still find the mechanic to be too annoying. Given the neutral heavy nature of the game opening people up takes time, and since meter recharges, it means we're going to have to deal with it with most of our combos.

I just don't like it.

If we must keep it, I'd just make it more breaker-like in the way that it stops the juggler from doing what he was doing too, but instead of resetting neutral the initiator finds himself grounded with no meter. This would make the mechanic very risky and potentially detrimental.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Eh, no. The game is fine as it is, character balance is what they should focus on. They should just make the defender recover slower from the breakaway. Problem solved.

hkriderz

They are wrong.

Breakaway is perfectly fine.
And if you read the OP, I'm not agreeing with them. They've mentioned way harsher nerfs or even a complete removal of the mechanic. I don't mind breakaway, but I think they should make this one change to it.

hkriderz

Its pretty fair, because okizeme by itself is a big reward, your opponent has no more defensive meter , so you can just go ape shit crazy with your offense.
So what's the point of the Krushing blow launchers then? NRS designed this once per match tool that gives you extra rewards if you fulfill requirements. You're telling me they intended us to use them so that the opponent can immediately break them so that we can get oki? When every other Krushing blow activates in one hit and is inescapable?

hkriderz

Why not just make it so that when a person air tech's, they take longer to get up so they can't punish you?
That's a separate nerf to breakaways and not the point of this thread. We've already started to discover some "safe combos" even from the stress test that keep young from being punished by the breakaway so I think we just need more lab time to figure that out (E.g.- ending Scorpion combos with demon dash or 112)

It's not about being punished for it, it's the fact that you can immediately do it with no risk if you notice a Krushing blow pop up. Which sort of invalidates the point of the KB imo

Wetdoba

All too easy...
That's a separate nerf to breakaways and not the point of this thread. We've already started to discover some "safe combos" even from the stress test that keep young from being punished by the breakaway so I think we just need more lab time to figure that out (E.g.- ending Scorpion combos with demon dash or 112)

It's not about being punished for it, it's the fact that you can immediately do it with no risk if you notice a Krushing blow pop up. Which sort of invalidates the point of the KB imo
"No risk"

You keep saying this as if the risks have no already been pointed out a million times

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
You've still done hella damage with the Krushing Blow. How DARE the opponent use their resources to stop you from taking 50% of their life with a combo extender.

Just go for the oki. You've already done a significant amount of damage. Breakaway is fine.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
No changes needed. Hard pass.

You lose all your defensive meter for using a breakaway. THAT'S THE REWARD. The opponent can no longer do ANYTHING but hold that when you pressure, knockdown, combo, etc for a long ass time after a breakaway.

Quit trying to change this into another offensive mash fest. kthxbai