What's new

The next Mortal Kombat game.

Houzi

Noob
I wish they had Pitt from FullBleed Publications. This is a pic of him, he's the most BAD ASS comic book character!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
What the HELL is up with the fighting while you're falling? "Klose" kombat mode? WHAT THE FUCK?

Scheisse summed it up pretty well...

Looks great, but idk about the "new" fighting modes.

I, also hate DC with the exception of Batman.

EDIT: Here are some pics from the HD trailer:

http://ultimatemk.com/tempkonqrr/mk8/01.png
http://ultimatemk.com/tempkonqrr/mk8/02.png
http://ultimatemk.com/tempkonqrr/mk8/03.png
http://ultimatemk.com/tempkonqrr/mk8/04.png
http://ultimatemk.com/tempkonqrr/mk8/05.png
http://ultimatemk.com/tempkonqrr/mk8/06.png
http://ultimatemk.com/tempkonqrr/mk8/07.png
http://ultimatemk.com/tempkonqrr/mk8/08.png

Did you honestly expect anything good from MK8? Mortal Kombat has been going downhill since 4, and it's not falling out of it's self dug hole of failure and desperateness for a new "breakthrough" in ideas from the dinosaurs over there in Midway brainstorming for their next disaster. I expected this completely. They're full of phail.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Here's my two cents in my very tired mood of just coming from prom and not wanting to go to post-prom...so take it or leave it. This might turn into surprising success considering all the DC characters Midway could pull out of its utility belt. (again I'm exhausted, I know that's a horrible joke) Dreemer's onto something when speaking of the game's potential "darkness" that could be brought with certain characters as Clayface, DarkSyde, and of course, Joker. That being said, I seriously 99.9999% DOUBT fatalities or even intense violence will be included with the supermodel swagger DC heroes get in kids eyes. It isn't just MK vs. DC villains, ya know. Batman may be turning darker on the screen for the hope of revival, but intestines ripped out of DC characters (although we may all want it) is probably NOT going to happen. I apologize if I've regurgitated opinions alike. I fuckin' don't wanna play fake poker...gay...............

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I am pretty much certain through our contacts that there will be no Fatalities and very little blood, but honestly, who cares? I mean you can only see the spine rip from so many angles before it gets old. The gameplay is my biggest concern and in general it's this site's biggest concern as 95% of the people here play competitive MK.

It won't be what most of us here interpret "true" mortal kombat as, but it could still be a fun game to play and I'll most likely buy it. I thought shaolin monks was fun even though it didn't have a whole lot of mortal kombat styleness.

You know what ive taken a lot of time thinking about MK vs. DC and im actually getting used to the idea ... for one as many have already said, who cares about fatalities anymore?? for real i mean you can only kill someone so many different ways untill it gets old , i mean they have tried multiple times to make it fresh and its just not happening. and i also thought about why would i want to play the same thing over and over bringing something new in might not be so bad? right? at least its not the last gens. and i think this game has the potential to be great if characters are right. but the game needs to be quick paced , look good and most of all play well thats all i hope for

characters i hope for are
Reptile
Raiden
Baraka
Kano
there are others just .. these are the ones i want most

Tim Static

Adminerator
I am pretty much certain through our contacts that there will be no Fatalities and very little blood, but honestly, who cares? I mean you can only see the spine rip from so many angles before it gets old. The gameplay is my biggest concern and in general it's this site's biggest concern as 95% of the people here play competitive MK.
You know Shock, if you would stop making sense, I will stop quoting you. :D

Gameplay is the key here. And talkin at "Fanboy" forums (aka Midway forums) people take into account silly shit like what characters, what fatalites, etc are important factors into makig a good MK game.

If this game plays well, even moe like MK4 or DA, then this game could be something special.

And yeah, it's not going to be M-rated. How's that for some curveballs?
I'll post again what I said.

When I saw this I almost died. What have they done to a once great game? Dragged it through the gutter, and now this?

I'm never going to buy this game. I will not give my support to such a horrible idea. Honestly, I'm still hoping this is fake.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it was going to be 2D, then the sucky idea might be over shadowed by some decent, and enjoyable game play. This just looks like MK:A with some new ideas, and DC characters.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
You know Shock, if you would stop making sense, I will stop quoting you.

Gameplay is the key here. And talkin at "Fanboy" forums (aka Midway forums) people take into account silly shit like what characters, what fatalites, etc are important factors into makig a good MK game.

If this game plays well, even moe like MK4 or DA, then this game could be something special.
What are you saying, I'm one of 5% of the people that suck? Where did I put in my statement that gameplay didn't matter? In my sleepy carelessness I must have carried over from a relevant conversation from a different topic regarding the new game. But members calling me fanboy and shit...wow...I could give a bloody shit from a bloated camel about fatalities, but I am on the lookout for good characters. You can't tell me the selection in MvC doesn't matter...not nearly as much as the gameplay, I agree. As balanced as UMK3 in 3D? Doubt it. Take off the Jason masks when newer members post their opinions, people. Fucking. Christ.

EDIT: Never mind, I was pissed way before I read this.

krsx

Noob
Like many here, when I first heard the rumours way back, I was hoping it was a joke. Then when they recently began to resurface, this time with unnerving credence, I was almost praying it couldn't be true. After all the talk about a return to the dark theme of Mortal Kombat, that slightly macabre aura that you get when you play MK1 and 2 - what drew so many people in originally - and all the talk about having almost none of the MK characters we've come to know returning, it really seemed a good opportunity for a genesis for the series.

Instead, we get this. Whoever decided that this 'theme' could be a good idea? Whoever proposed it should've been fired then and there, and that should have been the end of it.

To me, the whole concept of fighting Batman and Superman sullies the name of Mortal Kombat and devalues the franchise, it takes away from its uniqueness that has (amazingly) stood for 16 years.
As mentioned by someone above, they personally hated the 3D MK's, but kept up with the storyline because it still intrigued them. And to me, that's the essence of the problem. Mortal Kombat has always been compelling, it is more than the fighting (it has had to be, since the fighting is relatively poor in all games bar UMK3) and now they're tainting the last preserve of what was good about the series.

If you take a look at the promo pic of Sub Zero and Batman and slice it in half, the Sub Zero side, to me, IS Mortal Kombat; the ominous clouds, the vicious look on his face, the pagoda in the background...

MK always held that ancient vibe, thus crossing over with superheros takes away from that which people still remember from MKII, and have been clamouring for ever since.

Now, I know this is all ancillary stuff, and that of course, gameplay matters most, but I wanted to focus on this because for one, I believe MK has always been more than its fighting engine, and two, MK4-Armageddon are proof enough already that they can't make a decent 3D fighting game.

Of course, this has been building for years, largely because of us accepting substandard quality from them since MKDA. MKD and MKA were pretty terrible - particularly the latter - yet so many still went out and bought them. The only way to get a positive response is to stop giving them the incentive to put out rubbish. MK nearly died after MK4, and they were forced to go back to the drawing board, which generated the promising Deadly Alliance. They had to, they had no other choice. If they see the negative backlash, and then feel it in poor sales, they will finally listen!

And finally, why do companies never consult with their target audience about stupid ideas like these? I'm almost certain, judging by the responses across the net, that the majority of fans would have decried the idea, and then they could've abandoned it and that person could've been fired.

--

Side note: Funny how the only support I've seen so far has been from people at MKO. No surprises there.

dreemernj

Ambassador
^ Great post.

And finally, why do companies never consult with their target audience about stupid ideas like these?
I have a somewhat funny story that probably addresses this. They think they do, but once you reach a certain level of corporate-ness, you do everything with professional marketers and focus groups. I was able to talk to someone involved with promoting a major sports team in Philadelphia. The team hired a marketing firm to come up with ideas, that firm ran a series of focus groups to see how "the average Philly fan" reacted.

The problem was, their focus groups designed to see how Philadelphia would react to the new ideas was made up of white folks from the suburbs. Not mostly, only. Every single person they included in the focus groups was white and from the suburbs. Now, perhaps that's where the money is in their eyes, but if you think of a Philly sports team, you don't think of the entire fanbase as being white suburbanites. That's like a betrayal of the real fans in the city.

That's the sort of stupid shit that happens in the corporate world.

They will work no matter what. You have to remember that the layout and button assignments are designed for the XBLA port of UMK3, not this game. The buttons will do different things unless there's a button reassignment option.
Well if it uses both thumb sticks we are shit out of luck. I guess I was asking for way too much. Everyone.......... exercise your thumbs!!!!!!!!!! It will have totally lost the ARCADE feel. Does this remind anyone of someone we might know.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ns8t9iQck