What's new

The Mortal Kombat 1 Information and General Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new era begins! This thread is for collecting general information as it's released about the upcoming game, as well as discussion of the the game and its mechanics, details, etc. until release.

GAMEPLAY TRAILER

ED BOON TIMELINE/MECHANICS BASIC INTRO
Ed Boon Short Interview @ Summer Game Fest 2023

ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
PRESS RELEASE

RELEASE DATE AND PLATFORMS
September 19, 2023 — PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC, including Steam and Epic Games Store.

PRE-ORDER BETA
The Pre-Order Beta will take place from August 18-21.

PRICING / EDITIONS
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Standard Edition will be available physically and digitally for $69.99 (SRP)
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) — includes all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will be available physically at select retailers for $249.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S only — includes all Premium Edition content, and early access, along with a 16.5-inch Liu Kang sculpture designed by COARSE and an inspired Liu Kang in-game character skin, three exclusive art prints, a steel case, and 1,450 additional Dragon Krystals (2,700 total).
BASIC INFORMATION
Developed by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, the upcoming game will introduce a reborn Mortal Kombat Universe that has been created by the Fire God Liu Kang, featuring reimagined versions of iconic characters as they’ve never been seen before.​
NetherRealm’s genre-defining Story Mode returns with an immersive cinematic narrative featuring unexpected twists on classic rivalries and original backstories for a wide-ranging cast of legendary fighters, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others. Mortal Kombat 1 will also introduce Kameo Fighters, a unique roster of partner characters that can assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players.​
NEW MECHANICS
  • Kameo - MK1 introduces "Kameo fighters", which can be called in for assists and combo extenders, breakers, etc. Some Kameo fighters are part of the main roster of the game.
  • Aerial Kombat returns from MK: Armageddon; each character has strings that can only be used on a airborne opponent

Last edited:

Comments

Status
Fuck I forgot about CherneyVolk. I wish he was still forgotten. He was a hero to us for about an hour because he had the game early, then he started demanding actual money be sent to him to show us move lists, frame data and other things.

It really is always the worst people who get the game early
Holy geez. I missed that part. I just remember him complaining about everything all the time.

how many kameos do you need to unlock and is there a tournament mode with em already ready to go?
you have to unlock 5 kameos and havik unlocks after beating story. Tournament mode does not give them to you, grinding is the only option

so early tournaments are gonna be a shitshow for a while, its mk9 all over again

Does Reptile have both slow and fast Forceball? Do they reach full screen and can he cancel them mid air like mKX?
There is fast and slow forceball. They do not go full screen unless you EX it.

I have too many questions on individual characters, so I'll just ask this:

How does Darrius work, and what are his moves as Kameo?
darrius is weird, he's heavily reliant on positioning as many of his moves require you to do a followup, and basically be touching him to do it. Could be good but I don't care for that personally

Reiko is NOT a grappler

1 grab, its a high
ex grab is a mid, takes TWO BARS FOR ONLY 20%

thats not something you can build a gameplan around, also exactly no button or string tick throws into grab

Geras has 2 strings that tick throw into his grab, both are heavily flawed though.

Havik is the actual best "grappler" even though he doesnt have a command grab, cause he at least has a decent string that forces a strike/throw guessing game.

There is fast and slow forceball. They do not go full screen unless you EX it.

darrius is weird, he's heavily reliant on positioning as many of his moves require you to do a followup, and basically be touching him to do it. Could be good but I don't care for that personally
Do EX variants change their speed? Like in MKX EX Slow Forceball made it go super slow, and vice versa for the fast one

Fuck I forgot about CherneyVolk. I wish he was still forgotten. He was a hero to us for about an hour because he had the game early, then he started demanding actual money be sent to him to show us move lists, frame data and other things.

It really is always the worst people who get the game early
Ah memories :laughing:

anyways uh gameplay

- havik is the games juggernaut, has armour on normal specials without meter, with meter it becomes hyper(infinite) armour

- this is the best version of mileena, ever

- nitara will satisfy marvel crackheads for movement, plus she's basically ragna the bloodedge. Lowest health in the game, burns health to power up moves, but has multiple ways to regain health including a reptile fart cloud that steals health that you cant stop.

- ashrah is probably strong, although very vanilla feeling

- tanya has the akuma style fireball, about as strong as you think it is. She's got dhalsim'esque range on some buttons.

- rain is really fun but complex

- overall game very fun, just wish there was actual grappler representation

Thanks for the info!

I think all the details on him would require its own thread. What I'm most curious about is: he seems to have assists that take half a bar, but some that take a full bar. We've seen in today's KK that the swing kick assist by itself takes 50% bar, but we also know that Darrius has a spin kick assist that has multiple follow-ups. Does that spin kick take 100% bar every time? Or, can you do the spin kick by itself for only 50% bar? Because that spin kick leaves the opponent in a special hit-state that can allow you to follow-up with a combo, and it's at ambush speed.

Thanks for the info!

I think all the details on him would require its own thread. What I'm most curious about is: he seems to have assists that take half a bar, but some that take a full bar. We've seen in today's KK that the swing kick assist by itself takes 50% bar, but we also know that Darrius has a spin kick assist that has multiple follow-ups. Does that spin kick take 100% bar every time? Or, can you do the spin kick by itself for only 50% bar? Because that spin kick leaves the opponent in a special hit-state that can allow you to follow-up with a combo, and it's at ambush speed.
his weird moves take full bar, but you can do the followups as long as hes on the screen and you are touching him

anyways uh gameplay

- havik is the games juggernaut, has armour on normal specials without meter, with meter it becomes hyper(infinite) armour

- this is the best version of mileena, ever

- nitara will satisfy marvel crackheads for movement, plus she's basically ragna the bloodedge. Lowest health in the game, burns health to power up moves, but has multiple ways to regain health including a reptile fart cloud that steals health that you cant stop.

- ashrah is probably strong, although very vanilla feeling

- tanya has the akuma style fireball, about as strong as you think it is. She's got dhalsim'esque range on some buttons.

- rain is really fun but complex

- overall game very fun, just wish there was actual grappler representation
MIRA TIME LET'SA GO

Hb smoke?

So is there any skin to unlock outside the ones from the "Fire" Season ?

Alt skins being not yellow/red ?

Status