What's new

The Mortal Kombat 1 Information and General Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new era begins! This thread is for collecting general information as it's released about the upcoming game, as well as discussion of the the game and its mechanics, details, etc. until release.

GAMEPLAY TRAILER

ED BOON TIMELINE/MECHANICS BASIC INTRO
Ed Boon Short Interview @ Summer Game Fest 2023

ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
PRESS RELEASE

RELEASE DATE AND PLATFORMS
September 19, 2023 — PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC, including Steam and Epic Games Store.

PRE-ORDER BETA
The Pre-Order Beta will take place from August 18-21.

PRICING / EDITIONS
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Standard Edition will be available physically and digitally for $69.99 (SRP)
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) — includes all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will be available physically at select retailers for $249.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S only — includes all Premium Edition content, and early access, along with a 16.5-inch Liu Kang sculpture designed by COARSE and an inspired Liu Kang in-game character skin, three exclusive art prints, a steel case, and 1,450 additional Dragon Krystals (2,700 total).
BASIC INFORMATION
Developed by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, the upcoming game will introduce a reborn Mortal Kombat Universe that has been created by the Fire God Liu Kang, featuring reimagined versions of iconic characters as they’ve never been seen before.​
NetherRealm’s genre-defining Story Mode returns with an immersive cinematic narrative featuring unexpected twists on classic rivalries and original backstories for a wide-ranging cast of legendary fighters, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others. Mortal Kombat 1 will also introduce Kameo Fighters, a unique roster of partner characters that can assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players.​
NEW MECHANICS
  • Kameo - MK1 introduces "Kameo fighters", which can be called in for assists and combo extenders, breakers, etc. Some Kameo fighters are part of the main roster of the game.
  • Aerial Kombat returns from MK: Armageddon; each character has strings that can only be used on a airborne opponent

Last edited:

Comments

Status
You know what would have been cooler? Having cameo mk1-3 characters actually look like the actors from the game like John Turk, Richard Divizio etc

You know what would have been cooler? Having cameo mk1-3 characters actually look like the actors from the game like John Turk, Richard Divizio etc
I've been wanting a John Turk Sub-Zero skin forever. This will always be the real Sub-Zero (Kuai-Liang) to me.

Still, I wouldn't mind a Kuai-Liang alternate skin modeled after John Turk.

He only states that Kameo's look like their original incarnation. Not that any of them are also playable. He's not confirming any of the three kameo's here as also being main roster.
Maybe you're not paying attention. Right after saying kameo Sonya and Kano have nostalgia outfits, he says "the main roster, that's their story this version of the game"

Maybe you're not paying attention. Right after saying kameo Sonya and Kano have nostalgia outfits, he says "the main roster, that's their story this version of the game"
Maybe, but I think you might be reading into it a bit as Sub zero and Scorpion are also Kameos and do have separate playable versions he might be referring to. All I'm saying is that while its definitely likely that Sonya might be playable. There's no confirmation just yet.

Of course it's not a confirmation as in a reveal trailer or anything, but it's quite damning evidence for her and Kano.
I think he's definitely referring to Sonya and Kano, hence the reference possessive THEIR in the following clause to them as subjects. It's English really.

Definitely...also some kameos are only story mode, which is...ok why?
Yeah, that makes zero sense to me. It was bad enough fighting the cyborgs in 11 but not being able to play as them. I get that that that was all just re-used assets from MKX though and the characters weren't fully fleshed out, so I let it slide.

Having story exclusive kameos that can't be used in regular ass kombat is a massive "umm whyyyyy??" for me though. Kameos are way more basic than main roster characters, I don't see any reason why they can't be playable in other modes.

That said though, for all we know the story exclusive kameos could be like Johnny's director or some shit. Stuff like that can stay in the story. I don't want it.

Yeah, that makes zero sense to me. It was bad enough fighting the cyborgs in 11 but not being able to play as them. I get that that that was all just re-used assets from MKX though and the characters weren't fully fleshed out, so I let it slide.

Having story exclusive kameos that can't be used in regular ass kombat is a massive "umm whyyyyy??" for me though. Kameos are way more basic than main roster characters, I don't see any reason why they can't be playable in other modes.

That said though, for all we know the story exclusive kameos could be like Johnny's director or some shit. Stuff like that can stay in the story. I don't want it.
To balance a Kameo through the entire cast seems like a pretty big job, though.. And with every new Kameo you add, you need to do that through every character.. And then with every new playable character that gets added, you need to make sure they are balanced with every Kameo.

For story mode, you don't really have to balance them, they probably can't even be used by a ton of a different characters (each part of the story mode usually locks you to 1-2 chars), and if they're competitively broke, it doesn't matter at all.

So it makes sense to me that they'd try to keep the actual competitive kameos more limited so they can make sure it doesn't become a brokefest. It's way better to do that than to have people complaining that they tried to do too much and game is unfinished.

Status