What's new

General/Other The Killing Art of Sub-Zero - Why He Needs ZERO Buffs

Two words, one hyphen: CORNER-RAPE

Sub-Zero is possibly the very best character at keeping a character in the corner, while simultaneously removing their ability to retaliate. Once Sub has his opp in the corner, every match-up ranges from around 7-3 to 9-1. Because of this, I think his match-up charts should take this more heavily into consideration (such as how easy it is for him to get the opp into the corner, how hard it is for the opp to get out, etc.)
If that were explored more, I feel that his match-ups would start to look a lot better for him, and people that feel he needs buffs may change their mind.

Sub-Zero doesn't need high combo-dmg midscreen, because his combos do something much better: They push the opp closer to the corner. When his new staple, the reset, was discovered, I wasn't excited about the dmg; I was excited about the extra wall-carry he gets.

Some corner-tech that some people may be overlooking: 2,1,2 is the best block-string Sub has in the corner, because the Clone he gets from it creates some very interesting mixups. If the opp blocks (2,1),2 while crouching, and then eats a Slide, they will be frozen by the Clone. The follow-up dmg to this doesn't scale as much as usual, and he can obviously go into his EX Ground Freeze reset from here if he wants to.

*Three side-notes to this can be found at the bottom of this post.

If the opp starts to duck, you can obviously mix them up with the f+4 OH. However, I feel that you're better off just continuing block-pressure, taking chip and building meter, and then setting up your next Clone. Not only because f+4 is quite hard to HC, but also because you don't really want them to have the option to break. It's a situational thing, obviously. Expanding on that, if you have them frozen by a Clone, and don't want them to break and reset the situation, you can use an Ice Blast to take a little dmg and have enough time to set up another Clone.

If the opp tries to jump over the Clone (which they can) you can either aa2,2 them, or Slide them as they're on their way down. They will fall into the Clone and be frozen.

Two other good ways to set up Clones in the corner are with d+1 and d+4, either on hit or block (though d+4 needs to be spaced correctly, just one tap outside of absolute 0 range). After this you can continue your normal block-pressure (I recommend (2),2 because it often hits people out of crouch-normals, as well as hitting jumpers. Then I dash in just before the Clone disappears and start the 2,1,2 block-string into Clone again). However, you can also use a back-throw to pull the opp into the Clone. You have to catch them with the tip of your throw's hitbox, but when done correctly they can't actually break the throw, because they are frozen before the point of the animation where breaks occur. Not only does this obviously lead to a normal combo, but Sub also has the perfect amount of time to stand up and start charging his b+2 for the reset-shenanigans.

This trick is much more consistent with a d+4 (hit) xx Clone, because you can throw them at point-blank and it'll still work. But it's still very doable after d+1 xx Clone and a blocked d+4 xx Clone. It has to be a back-throw. Forward-throws cause 6-10% dmg and Sub gets knocked down.
It also works off of the 2,1,2 Clone as well, but it's harder to space correctly and thus a little less consistent.
What this means is that Sub has an i10 UB launcher against cornered opponents, assuming he's set the situation up correctly.

Another interesting thing about 2,1,2 xx Clone on block, is that it sometimes (more often than not) causes Sub to fly much farther back than he normally does when Cloning. I haven't been able to test properly whether or not this affects certain match-ups (such as throwing him out of range of Ermac's TKP), but it's something worth exploring.

I think that about covers all of the rapey corner-tech I use. If I think of anything else that I've left out, I'll edit or post again.

I urge people to test this stuff on their harder match-ups. Mileena, for example, has a very hard time getting out of the corner, in my experience. 2,2,2 as a combo-ender, Ice Clone, and then dashing into 2,2 seems to cover every wake-up option she has. She'll either be frozen by the Clone, or interrupted by your 2,2. Her EX teleport will whiff behind you, which causes you to lose corner-pressure, but that seems to be the worst outcome for Sub in this scenario.

Mileena can duck under Sub's 2, whether blocking or not, and so it's a bit harder for him to pressure her and set up Clones. However, once he has a Clone there, she can't really do anything. d+4 might seem like her best option, but she gets frozen by the Clone before she hits you. You can also mix 2,2 and d+4s with your 2,1 pressure to stop her trying to interrupt.

Suddenly that bad match-up Sub has against Mileena seems pretty good, right? It's not even that hard to push her back into the corner, because any special she has to stop you moving forward comes at great risk. Just take a bit of chip, ducking when you can (to prevent her building more meter) and be patient.

Anyway, I think I've talked enough now. I hope this wasn't too long that you skipped it completely, and more importantly I hope that it was helpful to anyone that did read it.

Happy raping!

SCOOBIYA!

*Side-notes for the 2,1,2 stuff:

Some characters will be frozen by the Clone even if they block the 2,1,2 standing. Ermac, Sektor, and Sheeva are a few examples, and there are plenty more.

Some characters can interrupt (2,1),2. Kung Lao's Spin, Reptile's Dash, Raiden's Teleport, CSZ's parry, and maybe some others. Even more characters can armour through it. This is just something to consider in match-ups, and the latter obviously depends on if the opp has meter. I recommend testing the opponent first, and then adjusting accordingly, as it isn't exactly easy to interrupt. If they do interrupt, you still have mixup potential from there.

If a character blocks 2,1, but then gets hit by the last 2 (perhaps a messed up attempt to interrupt, or they simply thought you'd stop at 2,1) and you Clone, they'll be frozen. I believe this happens 100% of the time, but it may be a little less consistent than that.

I definately feel what you are saying. It really DOES make sense i mean 212, 224, 214 they all knock back. I feel like chars like Smoke prob have the best opportunities to evade the corner rape though.

I definately feel what you are saying. It really DOES make sense i mean 212, 224, 214 they all knock back. I feel like chars like Smoke prob have the best opportunities to evade the corner rape though.
I believe Smoke's b,f+3 teleport causes him to get frozen on startup with a properly placed Clone. The EX version might evade it. You can use low-pokes after placing a Clone to stop him being able to teleport (he'll whiff because you're ducking, and get frozen). EX Shake gets beaten by lows, too. Plus, if he does manage to get you with his teleport, he still remains in the corner.

I believe Smoke's b,f+3 teleport causes him to get frozen on startup with a properly placed Clone. The EX version might evade it. You can use low-pokes after placing a Clone to stop him being able to teleport (he'll whiff because you're ducking, and get frozen). EX Shake gets beaten by lows, too. Plus, if he does manage to get you with his teleport, he still remains in the corner.
What if he does an air tele?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
i found something interesting that could help extremely in the mileena matchup also. If you find them throwing lots of d+4 you can clone at it will straight freeze her on the next d+4. Im not sure what causes this and what to do after cause the normal 214 wiffs. Mech you might wanna look into it. Ive done it multiple times but have no way to recreate it right now.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
His corner pressure is insane. Any character who doesn't have a teleport is pretty much forced into a horrific unfavourable guessing game until they find an opening, which doesn't come often.

^Smoke can escape with EX forward tele, the clone wont freeze him.
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you know if he's basically invincible for the entire duration? Or can he be poked out just at the start/end?

As for air-tele: I'm pretty sure you could cross him up to regain the corner-pressure. If you're poking him with d+3 you'd have enough time to do so on reaction.

I find the match-up with Smoke weird, anyway. It feels like either character can get a lead, and then run away the rest of the time.

Smarrgasm: Awesome! See, already we've found two ways around her d+4. I played around with it, and it works beautifully. Even if Sub does it after Mileena starts d+4 she'll still get frozen most of the time (even when done at point-blank). Mileena's d+4 is slower than 8F, and Sub's Ice Clone is 2F, so the match really is in his favour, I guess.
While playing around with that, I also found two other ways to beat her d+4: Just mash d+1 or d+3. They're so much faster than her d+4, and even if you're out of range of your d+1 and d+3, you'll hit her leg as she starts d+4. I really don't see this move being an issue for Sub afterall.

OmegaK: And even characters with teleports have a hard time, because you can just d+1_d+3_d+4 them and if you don't hit them out of their tele they'll go over your head and straight into the Clone.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
did you find anything to link off that freeze? i always do 214 by habit and it wiffs. I guess just throwing slide or 222 might be the only options with the hitbox it puts her in.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I have done some of this stuff with the downpokes, but I didn't know about the throw setup. Thnks im gonna have to use this next time I get a chance.

did you find anything to link off that freeze? i always do 214 by habit and it wiffs. I guess just throwing slide or 222 might be the only options with the hitbox it puts her in.
Oh sorry, forgot to comment on that bit. You can do (2),1,2 xx Slide or (2),2,4 xx Slide for 16%. I recommend (2),2,4 xx Slide because it carries them farther. If you're in the corner I recommend doing (2),2,2. It's only 8%, but you get that Clone placed nicely. (2),1,2 for 10% is also an option.

Altsa

^again, Smoke can be hit out of the startup of normal teleport. Once he has disappeared he is invulneralble to everything for a few frames, except ice clone. Once Smoke is out of the teleport he can block instantly. As far as I know, EN teleport is completely safe. Still, there is a bug where, in rare cases, Smokes En teleport is interrupted by opponents attack that Smoke for some reason decided to block instead of using the teleport, causing Smoke to lose 1 bar of meter for blocking the attack.

sub is losing his reset in a patch. ex GF will be the same as normal freeze now in that the opponent will be able to escape by staying at neutral.

sub needs the buff the colt mentioned, he could use a 4%-5% damage buff overall.

he needs a buff, trust me... I WOULD KNOW BETTER THAN MOST!

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Well there goes all reason for trying to learn the reset i guess ill stick to using the ground reset and milk it for as long as possible =/ Putting back the extra damage that was taken away i think would help the most out of anything. EX slide armor would be somewhat useful in situations but overall i see it not being that great for sub.

sub is losing his reset in a patch. ex GF will be the same as normal freeze now in that the opponent will be able to escape by staying at neutral.

sub needs the buff the colt mentioned, he could use a 4%-5% damage buff overall.

he needs a buff, trust me... I WOULD KNOW BETTER THAN MOST!
It's somewhat of a shame if they're gonna remove the new reset, but I don't think it's the end of the world. Whatever happened to them nerfing his Slide, anyway? Did that actually ever happen?

I need to ask: Do you not feel that Sub's Slide going under all duckable projectiles would make him OP in too many match-ups? Suddenly Kitana and Mileena can't zone him at all, and have to come to him, which is exactly what Sub wants. That seems completely unfair in my eyes. It would also cause already good or even match-ups to be disgustingly in Sub's favour, such as Shang Tsung and Sektor.

I could live with a slight dmg-increase, that's not too big a deal, but I really don't want those Slide buffs (or at least not the buff to reg. Slide).

What about the stuff for dealing with Mileena's d+4? Do you feel none of it makes a difference?

lol, dude imo the "buff" of slide going under high projectiles is more of a "THATS WHAT ITS SUPPOSED TO DO!" than an actual buff. the armor to the ex slide is a buff. losing the reset is a nerf. they could slightly bump his damage but overall getting his slide to go under all high projectiles is HUGE and the biggest improvement he will get.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
lol, dude imo the "buff" of slide going under high projectiles is more of a "THATS WHAT ITS SUPPOSED TO DO!" than an actual buff. the armor to the ex slide is a buff. losing the reset is a nerf. they could slightly bump his damage but overall getting his slide to go under all high projectiles is HUGE and the biggest improvement he will get.
Projectiles like what? I know he cant get under mileena sai, raiden blast and a few others. Is that what you meant?

Altaire

Noob
So... Wait. Subs is losing his reset, but Ermac can still rack up 51% off a jump-in punch with one bar? Cyrax can still rack up 55% off a jump-in punch with one bar? Hell, Ermac gets what, 47% if he combos off an uppercut? This is a turtling character, bear in mind. Sub Zero has to work for his damage, but it's not okay for him to dish out as much damage as a character that is rewarded for sitting back?

All I'm going to say is this: If Sub Zero isn't allowed to do upwards of 50% for one bar, Cyrax and Ermac shouldn't be allowed to do it either. There's no excuse for that. I still stand by the fact that Sub's freeze duration should be longer on the ground, so he at least has time to get in and do some damage on a full-screen freeze. Again, Cyrax can do this on a full-screen net, for much higher damage, but Subs can't do this on a full-screen freeze for a meager 25%? It's bullshit.