What's new

Strategy The Joker's true block strings

OnlineRon91

Joker++
A true block string for the sake of this thread is a block string that cannot be interrupted until it is finished. This does not necessarily mean that the block string is safe on block. All of Jokers combo attacks, except for b13, are true block strings.

I went through all of Jokers basic/combo attacks that that can be cancelled to see which specials could not be interrupted by reversals. I used Superman's super as the reversal of choice.

Acid Blossom = All strings except for d1 are true block strings
Crowbar = b1, f2, 113, 21, 212, 323 are true block strings
Rolling Laughing Gas = 212
Let's Be Serious = All strings except for d1 and 32 (2 hits) are true block strings
ji1 = 1, b1, 2, d1, d2
ji2 = Acid Blossom, Let's Be Serious, all strings except for b2, f3, b3 are true block strings.
ji3 = BANG!, Acid Blossom, Let's Be Serious, all strings except for b2, f3, b3 are true block strings.

Updated as of Patch 1.06

Last edited:

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Well the reason 212 isn't much of a 50/50 is because of the startup frames of RLG (35 I believe). This can be blocked easily on reaction. Furthermore, none of the overheads (213 or 21 crowbar) lead into combos. So basically, they can favor low and take 10-16 damage or so tops if they were wrong and have slow reaction time, or favor high and eat a full combo- easy choice for people that know the matchups :confused: . Also, several of his mid strings still whiff on some characters while they are ducking. Been a problem since day 1 and no reason for it not having been fixed yet...
But you are very right about the 212 string- it is what you want to be using in the neutral game most of the time, along with 113 (faster startup and ends in an overhead) and of course b13.
Another thing you can look at are teeth with the 212 string. You can do 212 xx teeth and it's completely safe on block. If they try to punish you, pushblock them back into the teeth, dash in, b3, combo. If they back off, you just established pressure.
Something else that I experiment with are dash cancels with the gun. It's a great thing to mix into strings and catch people off guard alot of the time. If it's on hit, you keep pressure going, on block it's not safe pretty much ever, but the window is tight off of 212 and some of hit more advantaged strings. Try that out a bit and see if it works for you, you can follow up with a crossup, b13, or just keep pressuring with other strings.

OnlineRon91

Joker++
Yea 213 is a much better string than 21 xx crowbar, simply because it's + on block. I can definitely see your point, low is the way to go against Joker it seems. I noticed that b13 (while very good) is not a true block string lol. I edited the OP to reflect this, but someone like superman can super through it, awesome >_>

Yup! I was thinking of adding 212 xx teeth on here, but since its been covered in previous threads I didn't want to be redundant. It isn't completely safe though, superman can super through it :( So it's still - but probably in the -3 to -5 range since corpse charge can't punish. Still legit though by all means.