What's new

The Glory of the Low Tier

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Lol, I hate when people pick low tiers because they feel top tiers are "easy mode". That's a stupid way to think, and you only make yourself worse in the long run with that mentality.

Pick who you like and work best with.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I have always picked a high tier character and the low tier character. Competitively, I will always stick to my high tier, but I do love to represent and show that a low tier can win, if the person playing is skilled enough.

On SFIV, I chose Rose because she fit my style. It wasnt until later that I found out how horrible she was, and at the end of the day, there was little I could do to change the character. I was stuck on Rose, not because I was trying to prove a point, but because I was still learning the game. When SSFIV came out, I was adamant on changing mains because I didnt think Rose would be able to compete. My first couple of weeks I used Ibuki, and I was pretty happy with her. Since I had a year of experience with Rose, at tournaments, I found myself going back to Rose, but the more I used her, the more I realized what a nasty character she had become.

Up until right now, I'm happy as hell with her!

JagoMIH

Noob
good article...i dont consider myself a low tier hero but a lot of chars i like in games happen to be low tier, but theyre luck might change in the next installment of a game and ill still stick with em

for instance, bruce was my favorite character to use in t5:dr and he was considered the worst char in the game

then t6 came and hes a top 5 character....i could tell the differences right away, a lot of his stuff doing way more damage, thanks to the bounce system and his new muay thai stance, which also has some good safe moves

i always like the kickboxer type street tough looking fighters, and bruce is also easy to use....if i were to get into ssf4 if i had people to play id probably start with adon as one of my mains

also i dont think you should stray away from high tiers characters in games just cuz they are high tier and everyone else uses them...if you like the char use it. there was tons of chars i loved using in mka that were considered by many to be low tier, and i used them so much and had so much success with them that even after a while i personally didnt think they were low tier...

thats the mistake i made about high tiers in mka where i didnt want to use chars like sareena for a while...all thatll do is lower your skill with that char and when fighting against them, even though i like her as a character and gameplay wise, i thought people would get pissed and call me cheap but fuck em right lol...then when i started using her it was fucked up...

in mkdc i really loved using flash and kahn...they were the first chars i learned...and they turned out to be top tier chars and i stuck with them anyways and glad i did, i developed so many of my own tricks and strats with em...

and now ive been getting into umk3, ive always liked kabal in that game, and i been liking chars like ermac, human smoke, sonya, kano and nightwolf as well

personally i try to ignore or not read tier lists for games because i dont want it clouding my judgment or mentality in a wrong way, that wont help you if you dont even know all the specific matchups...u shouldnt use a char just cuz theyre the best or not use just cuz theyre the worst...also if someone pick high tier you shouldnt always be like oh no they gonna kick my ass...or if they pick low tier dont be like haha this is gonna be easy

Dark_Rob

Noob
Ive never paid attention to tiers. Though there fun to talk about and debate. Ive always gone for a character that fits me. In Street fighter I play Ryu. Ive always played Ryu in every street fighter whether hes good or bad. I just like him.
In UMK3 I play Human Smoke, who is very high tier. I started playing him basically because Phil was teaching me the game and that was his main. Turns out he fits me to a tee. I can rushdown with him, get out of danger quick with his teleport, and deal absurd(broken?) damage with him from just HK,LP. Human Smoke = my kinda guy.

I mostly pick low tier characters not because high tiers are an easy advantage but to some that low tiers can bring the heat to like Hakan :D

DevilJin

Noob
Ever since my brother bought SSF4 I've been sticking it out with Cody. I don't know what he is on the tier list but all I know is that no matter who I was playing against I'd pick him. I guess you could say I'm doing the same thing as Bone, I'm learning the game. I do plan on learning more characters later when I play but for not I'm going to stick with Cody.