What's new

The FLOATING system...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm pretty sure by now that you guys have noticed that each character has a different NJP animation, and not only that, it seems that their utility might be specific for each character, so some might not be that good to AA people out with like in MK9, but i'm not here to talk about this, i've come to noticed another thing:

Something that has been itching me for a while since the Kitana stream, we were under the impression that some characters could take much longer to land from a forward jump, well this appears to be true.

I went into 4 different characters and get them to jump all at the exact same take off and put together a 4 video to compare, and this is what i got.

So there is a possibility that some characters float longer air bone than others, this might be a good thing tough the distance traveling might be the same, there might be some characters who are much easier to avoid projectiles with jumps, and there might be characters who will probably have some good airbone advantages, like being hard to AA against on a good basis, specially more if such character has air projectiles and such. And there might be characters that their weakness might be Airbone.

There isn't much to go on detail now, aside from the fact that the instant your character touches the toes on the ground you will be able to use any ground move or even jump again, even without completing the landing animation, however if you attack while airbone and whiff, the land animation can't be canceled for a while and you can't block or backdash in this short period of time.

Accounting to the fact that jumps attacks now have recover animations, these might provide some really good opportunities of situational whiff punishes by back dashing out of jump attacks, walking backwards or dash under it and get a full combo punish on the ground.

Interesting, NRS is rising the bar here, hopefully.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I noticed it but wasn't sure what to think of it. It definitely shows it in full force in your vid.

I think the differences in jumps for sure will have an impact in matches. Some characters jumps will be a lot more risky than others it seems. All part of the balancing I think.

Great video, and nice creativity by NRS there.

MK Led

Umbasa
I noticed 16Bit used kitana's mid air 'fan hover' move quite a bit, and at least one of her strings on block sent her into the air, where Bit then did the hover and followed up with an air fan. That seems very different to any other character air game, which is interesting.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Hey good shit man, I was wondering this myself. Seems like Scorpion's jump in is about 3/4 of the speed of the others. I wonder if they balance it out better before release or if they intend on keeping it like that

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
No adon jumps plz...
The one with less float by far of all comparisions i've did is Scorpion, the longest one is Johnny Cage. But it seems to be a balancing purpose.

Johnny C can dash in faster and have a incredible walkspeed either forwards or backwards from what've seen in the streams, but in exchange, they gave him a really floaty jump and a kind of wheird NJP.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
The one with less float by far of all comparisions i've did is Scorpion, the longest one is Johnny Cage. But it seems to be a balancing purpose.

Johnny C can dash in faster and have a incredible walkspeed either forwards or backwards from what've seen in the streams, but in exchange, they gave him a really floaty jump and a kind of wheird NJP.
Kung Jin seems to have the flotiest jump have you seen his? reminded me of sim

Reactions: SPY
i noticed that kung jings is the slowest and floatiest, and maybe even shorter than others. might have to do with his air projectiles. takeda on the other Hand... that guys' jump is nuts, gonna be a nightmare to zone him.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Kung Jin seems to have the flotiest jump have you seen his? reminded me of sim
Started watching the Mileena Stream but hasn't finished yet because my internet will end probably today, i will donwload full once i recharge it.

I noticed 16Bit used kitana's mid air 'fan hover' move quite a bit, and at least one of her strings on block sent her into the air, where Bit then did the hover and followed up with an air fan. That seems very different to any other character air game, which is interesting.
i smell uppercuts

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Started watching the Mileena Stream but hasn't finished yet because my internet will end probably today, i will donwload full once i recharge it.
ok then Kung Jin takes the cake in terms of Floaty jumps. its just like dhalsim's jump.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
not to sound like a dick but i thought it was a given that characters would have different jump speeds/jump arcs, just another way to balance...

E

Eldriken

It looked like he did it to make that one string safe on block. That's my take on it, anyway.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I don't know you guys but I don't like the floaty jumps, even if its intention is to balance or insert gameplay innovations. Thankfully the arc jumps will be shorter for those with floaty jumps so the overall time in the air would be almost equal for all.