What's new

Tech - Sorcerer The Final Hex (?) - New Sorcerer Rune Trap

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Hey guys!

I've decided to go back into labbing Sorcerer to see what the crack is with him post patch. I've heard almost everyone say that the chip is unviable and garbage now, so I felt I had to see for myself.

After experimenting a little, I've come up with a more situational Rune Trap that can still bag around 75% damage off his low starter. This obviously means more should you hit a f2122 starter, but that's not likely.

We all already know about his traditional new Rune Trap off the MB trance, but you can save the extra bar and use it on an extra rep of the MB Skull Frame Trap if you go for the airborne knockdown into Hex into F21 MB Skull.

The combo in the video is B324, NJP, 4 trance, J2, f2122, 141, Hex, F21 MB Skull, Run cancel MB Skull x2, run cancel 141

This only works on characters with no wakeup obviously, but if you get caught without bar or have no decent reversal this setup will apply. You can't jump, press buttons, backdash or delayed wakeup.

Why you can't jump/backdash/press buttons:

The F21 MB Skull will basically catch you trying to do either of those thing. Easily hitconfirmable into 1, 14 trance into restand to start the chip reps once again. The setup involves a meaty f21 MB Skull over a meaty F212 MB Skull as the 3rd hit of the string is too slow and they will fall out of the combo.

Why you can't delayed wakeup in any amount:

This setup has an almost built in option select style feature to it. If you wiff a f21 MB Skull entirely, the game will give you f212, as the skull is DB2.

If the opponent chooses to max delay wakeup, your input of meaty f21 MB Skull will turn into a f212, as you have a huge gap to see that the opponent has delayed wakeup, you simply input the MB skull a second time and you will get the third hit of f212 into MB skull anyway. You can be ready for this delay wakeup as the only reason the string has extended into f212 is because the opponent delayed wakeup. No other wakeup option will cause this.

If the opponent half delays wakeup, they will stand up into the second hit of f21 and the MB skull will come out as normal.

Sorry if some of you know about this, only recently looked into sorcerer again and haven't seen any of this anywhere.

Cheers!

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Hey guys!

I've decided to go back into labbing Sorcerer to see what the crack is with him post patch. I've heard almost everyone say that the chip is unviable and garbage now, so I felt I had to see for myself.

After experimenting a little, I've come up with a more situational Rune Trap that can still bag around 75% damage off his low starter. This obviously means more should you hit a f2122 starter, but that's not likely.

We all already know about his traditional new Rune Trap off the MB trance, but you can save the extra bar and use it on an extra rep of the MB Skull Frame Trap if you go for the airborne knockdown into Hex into F21 MB Skull.

The combo in the video is B324, NJP, 4 trance, J2, f2122, 141, Hex, F21 MB Skull, Run cancel MB Skull x2, run cancel 141

This only works on characters with no wakeup obviously, but if you get caught without bar or have no decent reversal this setup will apply. You can't jump, press buttons, backdash or delayed wakeup.

Why you can't jump/backdash/press buttons:

The F21 MB Skull will basically catch you trying to do either of those thing. Easily hitconfirmable into 1, 14 trance into restand to start the chip reps once again. The setup involves a meaty f21 MB Skull over a meaty F212 MB Skull as the 3rd hit of the string is too slow and they will fall out of the combo.

Why you can't delayed wakeup in any amount:

This setup has an almost built in option select style feature to it. If you wiff a f21 MB Skull entirely, the game will give you f212, as the skull is DB2.

If the opponent chooses to max delay wakeup, your input of meaty f21 MB Skull will turn into a f212, as you have a huge gap to see that the opponent has delayed wakeup, you simply input the MB skull a second time and you will get the third hit of f212 into MB skull anyway. You can be ready for this delay wakeup as the only reason the string has extended into f212 is because the opponent delayed wakeup. No other wakeup option will cause this.

If the opponent half delays wakeup, they will stand up into the second hit of f21 and the MB skull will come out as normal.

Sorry if some of you know about this, only recently looked into sorcerer again and haven't seen any of this anywhere.

Cheers!
Gonna be honest, at first I thought "Oh, this is just the standard chip setup explained." but you did a fantastic job of highlighting how f21 ex skull can be used to cover multiple wakeup options and made the setup easy to understand for non Quan players too. Massive props for that.

On a tangent (relating to the recent discussions of how effective the variation system was as a mechanic), it's unfortunate that it's near impossible to find much footage of sorcerer, whether it be match vids or tech like this, since it's regarding one of the less common variations of a character most have abandoned (which I think is silly, he's still awesome). I've got a major this weekend, but after that I'm going to try to do my bit and make some more videos again.

I think continuing from this, we again need to look into optimal ways to set up chip after a standard bnb in the corner where Armour spell has been set up (it's what I intend to look further into, at least). So once armour spell is activated, longest possible combo that allows enough 141 HA to set up chip off of overhead, low and f2122 starters. I've also been messing with more meter drain stuff in the corner (mainly combos involving air skulls), but need to find situations where it's more beneficial to use meter drain over the other two portals. At this point, I think meter drain is better off midscreen, but I'm sure with some real thought I can find how to and who I want to use it against in whatever situation.

Keen to keep pushing this character! He's too fun to stop playing.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
Inputting the MB Skull twice is super smart.

Btw, Demo Sonya can get out of this setup with wake-n-bake, right?

Poshib

The Artman
Gonna be honest, at first I thought "Oh, this is just the standard chip setup explained." but you did a fantastic job of highlighting how f21 ex skull can be used to cover multiple wakeup options and made the setup easy to understand for non Quan players too. Massive props for that.

On a tangent (relating to the recent discussions of how effective the variation system was as a mechanic), it's unfortunate that it's near impossible to find much footage of sorcerer, whether it be match vids or tech like this, since it's regarding one of the less common variations of a character most have abandoned (which I think is silly, he's still awesome). I've got a major this weekend, but after that I'm going to try to do my bit and make some more videos again.

I think continuing from this, we again need to look into optimal ways to set up chip after a standard bnb in the corner where Armour spell has been set up (it's what I intend to look further into, at least). So once armour spell is activated, longest possible combo that allows enough 141 HA to set up chip off of overhead, low and f2122 starters. I've also been messing with more meter drain stuff in the corner (mainly combos involving air skulls), but need to find situations where it's more beneficial to use meter drain over the other two portals. At this point, I think meter drain is better off midscreen, but I'm sure with some real thought I can find how to and who I want to use it against in whatever situation.

Keen to keep pushing this character! He's too fun to stop playing.
I think Meter Drain's usefulness is more matchup dependent. I normally go for it against characters who are pretty meter dependent to do big damage like Kano, Cryomancer Sub Zero, Kung Lao, and Kotal Kahn to name a few.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I think Meter Drain's usefulness is more matchup dependent. I normally go for it against characters who are pretty meter dependent to do big damage like Kano, Cryomancer Sub Zero, Kung Lao, and Kotal Kahn to name a few.
Yeah I'm the same, but it'd be good to have more concrete corner stuff or decide whether it's even worth using meter drain in the corner (I'm suspecting not, but we'll see). It would be good vs Kotal (but tbh I use summoner for Kotal anyway), but otherwise if you can setup meter drain and comfortably go for your mixup then more than likely the player doesn't have meter for the armoured wakeup anyway. Midscreen it's good for getting a bar or so off of people using your zoning after a bnb, and you can catch people when you cancel into meter drain spell after f212 on block or hit but even then it can be a bit hit and miss at times.
Either way some of this stuff needs to be more thoroughly tested so we can really decide the time and place to use the portals more effectively.

Awesome video thank you Ketchup, respect! Also for those who don't know, Sorcerer can do 47% 2bars midscreen using final hex. The only way to escape this set up is using breaker. I remember the days when 50% 1bar midscreen was possible tho :((

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
why can't you just always do f212xxEXSkull? if they do normal wake up, they get hit by the entire string, if they don't just the 3rd hit like you've shown. once quan hits f21, the last hit is guaranteed, it's free chip damage.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
Awesome video thank you Ketchup, respect! Also for those who don't know, Sorcerer can do 47% 2bars midscreen using final hex. The only way to escape this set up is using breaker. I remember the days when 50% 1bar midscreen was possible tho :((

Can't you just use B324, NJP, 4 xx EX BF3, DD2, 4, Run Cancel, 14 xx EX DB2, Run cancel 141?

Yeah but, wouldn't EX Skull be better than ex rune? I'm only asking. I'm not a know it all about sorcerer. :p
I just read better what you say and this set up (B324, NJP, 4 xx BF3 EX, DD2, 4, Run Cancel, 14 xx DB2 EX, Run cancel 141) doesn't work midscreen properly because, after the 14 xx ex skull the opponent gets out of the final hex so you waste 2 bars for no big damage really. Plus, if the opponent doesn't block the ex skull you cant combo midscreen after that. So for a low starter the best set up is (B324 xx NJP xx Run cancel xx 4 xx BF3 EX xx DD2 xx 4 xx Run cancel xx 14 xx DBB1 EX) And that's inescapable low starter set up with final hex 44% damage 2bar combo.

Last edited:

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
why can't you just always do f212xxEXSkull? if they do normal wake up, they get hit by the entire string, if they don't just the 3rd hit like you've shown. once quan hits f21, the last hit is guaranteed, it's free chip damage.
F212 wont catch jumps, they'll fall out before MB skull hits.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
All this Sorceror tech is making me wish I hadnt dropped Quan. Nice stuff man!

I just found that you can do 50% damage midscreen with Final Hex using 2bars. This set up is not guaranted tho because if the opponent decides to not block the ex skull you cant continue the combo and is just 43% 2bars if your adversary takes the ex skull on hit. In the other hand at the end of the set up Quan Chi is not 100% safe. However is a cool set up if you are looking for the kill.

The 3bar version of this set up is 55% damage midscreen and is safe at the end of the combo.

Last edited:
Hey guys, This set up using Final Hex midscreen is my favorite because the opponent can't escape, the damage is guarantee and is safe with most of the cast. Plus if the opponent guess wrong and you connect the 50/50 is 60% damage or more with 2bars, if the opponent guess right and block the set up is 45% guarantee damage with 2bars.

P.S. When you do the Final Hex = DD2 later when you JIP use better the JIP2 instead of JIP1 its easier and more practical to connect.

You don't have to run cancel if you will try the overhead b2, however in order to do the mindgame you better do the run cancel so your oponnent has to truly guess if you will go for the low or the overhead.