What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage The Evolution of Johnny Cage (Since MK1)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hey guys, i do these once in a while, i think its time for Johnny C, here it goes.

MK1
  • Johnny Cage was initially inspired in Jean Claude Van-Damme (bloodsport) and played by Daniel Pesina.
  • Cage's fireball used to travel in straight line and was kinda fast
  • Cage got a nut punch, although he couldn't hit women.
  • Cage hasd a Green Shadow Kick, and it could be avoided by ducking
  • Cage used to fight without his shades and only wear it in the win poses.
MK2
  • Cage gets a redesign, and now wears pants
  • His projectile is changed, now there is arched.
  • There is a high arch and a low arch to his projectiles
  • His Nut punch still doesn't hit women
  • Cage close HK move was a straight kick in the shin that shows how flexible Johnny can be
  • Shadow Kick is redesigned, the leg now aims to the belly instead of the face, but still can be ducked
  • Shadow uppercut is added to his moveset
Trilogy
  • Cage skipped MK3, UMK3 due the Dan Pesina scandal, Chris Alexander takes up in the Cage costume for Trilogy.
  • Johnny Cages fights with his shades on
  • Johnny loses the nut punch
  • There is now a red version of the Shadow Kick, it doesn't do additional damage, it only travels further.
  • Shadow Uppercut doesn't have a red version

MK4
  • Fights with the Shades on
  • Nut Punch finally hits women
  • Still has the High and low arch projectile
  • Loses the Red Shadow Kick
  • Still has the shadow uppercut
  • He has an tuxedo costume (can't remember)
Deadly Alliance
  • Loses the Nut Punch and the Shadow Uppercut
  • Both moves are combined into a new one forming the Johnny Uppercut, a move that slides foward while spitting to use an uppercut move
  • Still has the Shadow Kick
  • No red versions in this one
  • His alt is a Tuxedo suit
  • His fighting Styles are Karate, Jeet Kune and Nunchaku
MK9
  • Under the wings of an enlightened NRS studios Johnny Cage suffers an intervention on his moveset.
  • Nut Punch is back, now can be used in juggles to restand characters and give Cage the pressure option
  • Cage gets a Forward 3, a very popular move among competitive players, it would go over D3s and was accused of rapping characters with lack of armor and having random advantage.
  • Shadow kick is alive, it travels fast but can still be ducked or punished when blocked.
  • Red Shadow kick has returned, travels fullscreen armored and cannot be avoided by simply ducking, but low profile on the right frame would avoid it.
  • Cage Chin kick can now be done anywhere the move code is B3 now
  • Johnny has a Charged palm
  • Johnny gets a flip kick replacing his shadow uppercut.
  • The Flip kick has an enhanced version which turns red and finishes with a red shadow uppercut.
  • Shadow uppercut is now his breaker animation.
MKX
  • Johnny now has 3 variations, Fisticuffs, A-List ans Stunt Double
  • Some Johnny's old proprieties were applied in the fisticuffs variation, when he has about 10% of life, all his special moves will automatically turn red meaning all of them will do aditional damage, shadow kick will still travel regularly if not ex'd despites of turning red.
  • Now he also has a buff move that will increase the chip damage he can deal.
  • He also has a string where he lands a webster (tricking move) that avoids lows and hits overheads
  • Cage now has a F23 string, where he does a elbow into his F3 animation, i can't stop thinking that the F23 stuff is a homage to the old Superman F23 move which was considered one the best string in IGAU as cage F3 was considered the best string in MK9, I C what u Did there NRS hmm.
  • Cage still has F3
  • The Chin kick is still in and still possible B3
  • Johnny Flip kick animation is changed, now it looks more fluid like a flash kick move from tricking

• The shadows of Johnny were explored and now in his stunt double variation he gets to activate them two at the time, and fire Mimic Shadow kicks (MSK) and Mimic Shadow Uppercut (MSU). MSU when enhanced the Shadow drops with an bouncing kick that gives time for cage to run into juggles. Unclear if there is more than 2 mimic moves 50-50 situation here.
  • In this same variation Cage gets to fire his fireballs like in MK1 old days, straight line without any arch trajectory.

• In the A-List Cage gets some additional changes, he can charge up many of his moves and dash cancel them.
  • His charged palm from MK9 is replaced with a charged punch, the stance reminds off his Karate stance from Deadly Alliance, on max charge it crumples characters.
  • He can charge the flip kick, there is 3 levels, the first level doesn't grant a juggle.
  • His nut punch is now named nut breaker
  • Ex Nut breaker is not a commitment in the A-list, because in this variation Cage gets to MB the Nut breaker on hit instead of Ex'ing.
  • His friendship is now his winpose in MKX.
Cage: "Gonna test you Jin!"
Jin: "Gonna give me an A plus plus"
Cage: " Or be flap in your A-S-S"

Last edited:

RiverHB

Noob
If I remember correctly, did MK1 Cage's nutpunch not work in mirrors either? Or was that just SNES? Or am I just hi?

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Cage's shadow kick and shadow uppercut are my favorite special moves in all MK. That's why I started playing him, and Jade in UMK.