What's new

The eternal question about the gate.

pulsiondemuerte

The Horror
Guys, I'm a Mortal Kombat enthusiast. I love the game, my skills and my time to play the game are limited, however I'm always trying to enhance any thing can improve my level, like the fighsticks.
In MK9 I bought the gorgeous PDP fighstick, modding with IL parts for better performance.
Sadly I had to sell that fighstick, and now I have a Madcatz TE2 with stock parts (with square gate)

I'm buying a 1.0mm actuator to shorten the joystick travel distance to execute movements, but I'm feeling kinda weird with the square gate. I remember in MK9 to pull off instant air sais with Mileena or or instant air gas blast with Kabal easily, but now is a pain in the ass. I started thinking that the problem was square gate so.
What do you think is better for MKX considering the type of movements that exist?

Square gate or Octogonal gate?

Actually I play with Goro, Kung Jin and Erron Black.

Thanks!

I like octagonal, it is much clearer when you are in the standard directions (udfb) over the square. As soon as I put in the octo gate my combo ability and special moves accuracy improved.

I also think a bat type stick may be better, going to order one soon. Also want to try tighter spring.

Last edited:
Gates are fairly cheap (think they are a $1-2), so I'd just go to FocusAttack and order an Octo and circle gate, that way you have 3 choices. Try them out and use the one you like most. In the future, you may find a different gate suites your character/execution better, so you'll have all options.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I did what Error Macro described a while back. I have a few different sticks that I use for different stuff.

I have a stick with a 360 round gate that I use for playing T. Hawk and Hugo in Street Fighter. I have a square gate I use most of the time in general, as I prefer square gate for charge characters. My wife prefers an octagonal, and I use her stick when playing certain Marvel teams because it's easy to perform super fast tiger knee motions on it.

Considering the gates are literally about $1, just try everything and see what you think. I personally play MKX on square and have no issues.

pulsiondemuerte

The Horror
Yeah. Good advices. I already ordered different gates for testing. Any thoughts about the 1mm actuator for the JLF?.
There's any other thing that can improve your execution beside practicing or a hitbox? :D

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Yeah. Good advices. I already ordered different gates for testing. Any thoughts about the 1mm actuator for the JLF?.
There's any other thing that can improve your execution beside practicing or a hitbox? :D
Just practice. Way back when I first started on stick, I instantly became horrific. It took a good month of steady playing to get my bearings again. Now though, its almost impossible to not play on a stick! You'll find what works best for you.

Side note, I've tried both the larger actuator for shorter stick move distances, and the heavier spring for more resistance. I ultimately didnt like either of them, even though the actuator made doing 360's for THawk INSANELY fast haha.

i bought a 1.0 kowal and a agutator and i liked it but i recently ordered a hori hayabusa joystick it self for 25 bucks and slapped on the 2lb spring and love it way more then the jlf the input distance is really smaller. only issue is its square gate only stick unless you can mod a octo gate to fit bunch threads on shoruyken