What's new

Guide - Mileena "The Empress of Outworld", Mileena Strategy Guide

Jolt

Uprise
I dig it. Gonna try it at my local this weekend. I'm already a 21 whore so this will make it extremely annoying.
It's definitely a strategy that works, it makes reads a little easier because it definitely limits their options. Over the past week or so, I've definitely had this be the difference between a W and an L. Granted almost all of this has been online, but even offline my main training partner had trouble dealing with it.

The thing is: When this is coming at you, your natural response is to want to move. It's hard to fight the urge. It gets to the point that people will start trying to punish telekick too early and get hit by the sai (assuming they don't use the OP forward walk tech). I've caught a few guys with f3 because once they realize they shouldn't move and should block low, they sometimes get paralyzed and just don't react fast enough.

Having this as another combo ender/mixup is only a good thing. I feel that we (as Mileena players) could honestly get a lot out of EX throws as well. We could use our normal damage combos and the EX throw ender to get pretty much this same setup for a bar.

If we never let the opponent know what Mileena will do next, she WILL win. Frustrate them into respecting the options and you can run mad free. We just have to make adjustments and mixup faster than other characters in the game.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Yeah I went to a tournament like a week ago and I 21'd thru the first two rounds. Even the set I lost was 3-2 and it wasn't because he figured out my pattern, I TK'd myself to death on bad reads from his swarm queen. He actually turned to my teammates for tips on it haha.

Having this as another combo ender/mixup is only a good thing. I feel that we (as Mileena players) could honestly get a lot out of EX throws as well. We could use our normal damage combos and the EX throw ender to get pretty much this same setup for a bar.
Hm, gotta disagree on EX Throws. I personally don't like the idea of needing 2 bars for one mixup. If we get that stand 3 OH buff then sure.
It does create the same scenario, but Telekick does it without meter.

Ns_Brutalmileena

Wheres Mileener!BRUH
Wasn't sure where to put this since I didn't want to make a new thread for it, but here's the video I promised.
Telekick resets in a similar vein to what Chance described in his Ethereal guide. This works in every variation, but the benefits of using it will vary.

It's just an idea; more like a Work In Progress, for how we can look at her offense and mixups.

@JDE @TheGabStandard @MyronJ
@Mr. Mileena @JerzeyReign @EMPEROR_SunFire
@Nu-Skoool @Damaja325 @BeastOfManila @GQJ
@SEN WIIISE @TakeAChance @Ninjaguy446
@1man3letters @Akromaniac27 @Ns_Brutalmileena
@Yoaks @flawless @YoloRoll1stHit
As always great work @ZeroEffect love tech and I will definitely mix it into my mind games along with trying to expand it and bring more to share. Also thx for great voice over, nice and engaging video much <3. I had no idea about 2 jailing after sai on rc dam mind blown!!!!!

As always great work @ZeroEffect love tech and I will definitely mix it into my mind games along with trying to expand it and bring more to share. Also thx for great voice over, nice and engaging video much <3. I had no idea about 2 jailing after sai on rc dam mind blown!!!!!
I saw Saltface would use 21U4 after TK~Sai. And I'd use it in the corner against people and they always ate it. I thought it might jail, but wasn't 100% on it.

I was more shocked that Piercing B2 jailed. When I found that I realized this may be more useful than I thought.

Jolt

Uprise
Hm, gotta disagree on EX Throws. I personally don't like the idea of needing 2 bars for one mixup. If we get that stand 3 OH buff then sure.
It does create the same scenario, but Telekick does it without meter.
It isn't about the mixup, it's the guaranteed chip/frame advantage. I won't deny, it isn't a lot but it does create another opportunity. EX throw into stagger strings (and mixing those up with tick throws) is what I was referring to. It's less about another mixup opportunity as it is some + frames which we would otherwise lack.

I would never say to RELY on the EX Throw, but it's a useful tool that gets slept on. Ravenous this is EXTRA true IMO because you don't even need another bar for the mixup. Put it on your mind and try using it a little bit more than you have been and I think you'll find that used in conjunction with the telekick vortex it's a better tool than the community gives credit for

It isn't about the mixup, it's the guaranteed chip/frame advantage. I won't deny, it isn't a lot but it does create another opportunity. EX throw into stagger strings (and mixing those up with tick throws) is what I was referring to. It's less about another mixup opportunity as it is some + frames which we would otherwise lack.

I would never say to RELY on the EX Throw, but it's a useful tool that gets slept on. Ravenous this is EXTRA true IMO because you don't even need another bar for the mixup. Put it on your mind and try using it a little bit more than you have been and I think you'll find that used in conjunction with the telekick vortex it's a better tool than the community gives credit for
Fair point. I actually never think about tacking on chip damage post combo, lol. Mostly because I'm so used to Mileena's restand game being mediocre.

I've used it before in corner setups. Like combos where you roll twice and can grab them back into the corner. But now that you mention it, I can see it being helpful to close a round if only because Throws can't be combo broken. Maybe F1,2,B4 is free?

GQJ

Noob
Regarding the 21 jail after re-stand, are there any tips that help anyone to jail after the sai, like visual cues? Or is it just raw input speed?

Jolt

Uprise
Fair point. I actually never think about tacking on chip damage post combo, lol. Mostly because I'm so used to Mileena's restand game being mediocre.

I've used it before in corner setups. Like combos where you roll twice and can grab them back into the corner. But now that you mention it, I can see it being helpful to close a round if only because Throws can't be combo broken. Maybe F1,2,B4 is free?
f12b4 IS guaranteed, even if you have to run in to do it. EX throw is at least +22 from what I recall (but I don't remember where I got the information). Just in case, we'll say +20 as a bare minimum.

That opens up literally anything we would like to do in the situation (except f3!) f12b4 would obviously grant the most chip, but f1 throw, f12 throw, etc. are also options. OR hit them with the b21 (or 21) into teleport kick vortex. It's literally Mileena's playground after an EX throw lol

Jolt

Uprise
Regarding the 21 jail after re-stand, are there any tips that help anyone to jail after the sai, like visual cues? Or is it just raw input speed?
Make sure you get your sai as low as possible and you should be fine. Just assume you're going to get it perfectly and it should be perfect lol. There's a little room for error but not much. As long as you get the sai as low as you can, you're usually good. Usually when I mess up it's because I just barely clipped the top of their head.

Easiest way to start practicing is to set the AI to jump and try it. If the opponent jumps out (and thus gets knocked down), you mistimed something. Unfortunately, even that isn't fail proof. After you have them consistently not jumping, take control of the other character (through Practice options), set AI to record and record yourself doing it. See if you can backdash (or armor) out.

Reactions: GQJ
take control of the other character (through Practice options), set AI to record and record yourself doing it. See if you can backdash (or armor) out.
This is what I did. I hit all the directions. I tried to jump out, backdash, armor, I mashed X-Ray. If I did it wrong I could usually backdash away.

Jolt

Uprise
Also thought it was worth noting (since you mentioned it in the Piercing thread) f23 is guaranteed if you don't run after the sai. That means it's extremely easy for execution. It DOES NOT (in itself) have the low option for mixup, but it's 2% guaranteed chip, relatively safe (only -7) followed by an unavoidable 50/50 by completing the string f234 or f23~EX ROLL.

Also get safe hitconfirms (not overhead/low mixups, but special cancel or tick throw mixups):

If timing is right, 123 is also guaranteed AFTER a sai and run. If done wrong, the 2 misses but 3 still hits and combos so it's a little weird lol. I see this as an option for someone who wants to go just into the +2

or 124 (-5 with excellent pushback). I like this because usually about once per opponent, you get an unsafe ghetto mixup teleport kick that will connect (and leads into vortex)

I know that some of these options are obvious, but there have to be people that didn't think of them. For those people, I am brain storming aloud. Every form of mixup we can use is only going to help frustrate the opponent, keep us offensive, and keep Mileena relevant.

The more I think about setups like this, she really does have the tools, she just plays differently at high level. She's definitely a thrower, that's for sure lol

Also thought it was worth noting (since you mentioned it in the Piercing thread) f23 is guaranteed if you don't run after the sai. That means it's extremely easy for execution. It DOES NOT (in itself) have the low option for mixup, but it's 2% guaranteed chip, relatively safe (only -7) followed by an unavoidable 50/50 by completing the string f234 or f23~EX ROLL.

Also get safe hitconfirms (not overhead/low mixups, but special cancel or tick throw mixups):

If timing is right, 123 is also guaranteed AFTER a sai and run. If done wrong, the 2 misses but 3 still hits and combos so it's a little weird lol. I see this as an option for someone who wants to go just into the +2

or 124 (-5 with excellent pushback). I like this because usually about once per opponent, you get an unsafe ghetto mixup teleport kick that will connect (and leads into vortex)

I know that some of these options are obvious, but there have to be people that didn't think of them. For those people, I am brain storming aloud. Every form of mixup we can use is only going to help frustrate the opponent, keep us offensive, and keep Mileena relevant.

The more I think about setups like this, she really does have the tools, she just plays differently at high level. She's definitely a thrower, that's for sure lol
Lol, I know you're excited by all this. (As am I). But imagine these things with the proposed speed buffs to her crouch pokes and safer F4.
- Continued pressure after F44?
- 7f D3 to frame trap off low sai hit?
- 7f D3 to pressure after 2,1 and 1,2,3 on block?
- F2,3 jails to allow F2,3,4 and F2,3~Low Pounce?
- F4 doesn't get blown up for free?

The possibilities.

Yeah I actually had F2,3 and 1,2,3 jailing after TK~Sai in the vid. But it didn't make the cut since it didn't matter much with the setup. Run cancel B1,2 in piercing jails too.

1,2,4 is a weird string because the special cancel is so delayed. It looks like the combo is over and it's not. I've landed 1,2,4~Roll on quite a few people for that reason. I don't really know where to place that string in my gameplan though.

Jolt

Uprise
Lol, I know you're excited by all this. (As am I). But imagine these things with the proposed speed buffs to her crouch pokes and safer F4.

The possibilities.
That is the character we need! A true MKX character. This is how the good ones are designed.

So I guess the next set of vids will be
- Gaps in Mileena's strings (Because let's be real, we've been getting away with shit)
- F3,4~Telekick combo bug (Should be out next week if not sooner)
- Outlining the proposed buff wishlist (videos speak louder than words, so maybe we'll be taken more seriously)
- Uploading the next 3 Kahnum's Wrath videos. (Now that the patching is done for the next few months I can get back to these)

Other vids mentioned:
- Gaps Mileena can armor/Roll through (@TheGabStandard is doing this one)
- Stuffing armor wakeups with F1,2 (same)
- Gaps Mileena can EX Fade through (Saltface mentioned this)

This is a lot of work to do vids though, as much as I like doing them. The editing part takes the longest.
The first two are already recorded, and just need to be edited. Saltface was gonna do one about all the strings you can EX Fade thrugh and punish, but in light of recent events, i don't think that's on the table anymore. Is there anyone else here who can capture, or record from their PS4 to assist with these?

Jolt

Uprise
So I guess the next set of vids will be
- Gaps in Mileena's strings (Because let's be real, we've been getting away with shit)
- F3,4~Telekick combo bug (Should be out next week if not sooner)
- Outlining the proposed buff wishlist (videos speak louder than words, so maybe we'll be taken more seriously)
- Uploading the next 3 Kahnum's Wrath videos. (Now that the patching is done for the next few months I can get back to these)

This is a lot of work to do vids though, as much as I like doing them. The editing part takes the longest.
The first two are already recorded, and just need to be edited.
If you need a hand in editing, I'd be glad to assist. Haha I absolutely LOVE editing videos, but I hate the recording process.

EDIT: I can also capture and record (via share button lol) if necessary, whatever I need to to help. Just tell me what you need and I'm there. I'm awesome at helping other people, it's my own projects where I fall short lol

If you need a hand in editing, I'd be glad to assist. Haha I absolutely LOVE editing videos, but I hate the recording process.

EDIT: I can also capture and record (via share button lol) if necessary, whatever I need to to help. Just tell me what you need and I'm there. I'm awesome at helping other people, it's my own projects where I fall short lol
Thanks, but it's not a problem. I'm just saying that this stuff would be in the works, but it takes a while.
Besides, the raw files are usually extremely large after recording, so I don't know how I'd send them out

If you can record stuff that'd be great. Like if you can do the one for EX Fade for example that'd help a lot. Gab is doing the roll gaps and stuffing armor. But maybe you could talk to him to see which one he's doing first, lol.

Ns_Brutalmileena

Wheres Mileener!BRUH
@ZeroEffect this tech is godlike it fits so perfectly in my throw threat game I hit it 4 times today in a row !!!!! Lol 21%+ 17% x3 lol, and in corner its trollly as hell it def eats up casuals, still waiting to fight clan members with it lol! Much love again. Feel like I'm ganking on warcraft all over again funny they just got to block low lol

Ns_Brutalmileena

Wheres Mileener!BRUH

The possibilities.

Yeah I actually had F2,3 and 1,2,3 jailing after TK~Sai in the vid. But it didn't make the cut since it didn't matter much with the setup. Run cancel B1,2 in piercing jails too.

1,2,4 is a weird string because the special cancel is so delayed. It looks like the combo is over and it's not. I've landed 1,2,4~Roll on quite a few people for that reason. I don't really know where to place that string in my gameplan though.
I was thinking the same with better poke frames she would be worlds better