What's new

Guide - Mileena "The Empress of Outworld", Mileena Strategy Guide

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
The OP has been updated. Added information on Ethereal & Piercing. Will have to add her normals within those sections & then the thread will be pretty much komplete & just have to wait to see what happens to her in the future.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
JDE this is a very good write up, I think a good idea would be to add the frame data for her primary buttons/strings, such as startup, hit/block advantage, and recovery.

Reactions: JDE

JDE

JDE this is a very good write up, I think a good idea would be to add the frame data for her primary buttons/strings, such as startup, hit/block advantage, and recovery.
I'll get around to it soon. They keep patching the game. So it's really hard to keep updating it & re-updating it along the way, now. This game has already gone through 3 patches & there is another one expected to come when Predator is released. We're just in June, too & the game has been out for nearly only 3 months.

She also doesn't have the same combos anymore. They changed B3, but B34 replaces everything that B3 stood for as both an extender & an anti air. They've altered her timing on the juggle yet again with this last patch.

JDE

Ethereal is really good now. Going to add more info to the section soon. I've been putting more time into the variation than the rest for now because I'm wanting to flesh it out. I may end up switching to it as a starting variation, but unlike others, I'm still not all the way convinced that it's her strongest variation atm. I still think that Piecing may be the best all-around variation all around. You also need 2 bars of meter in this variation.

I just like the tech traps over more zoning properties & low sai mixups (Piercing) & grabbing, biting/ticking shenanigans with more raw damage. Neutral game isn't a problem when you properly know how to play it.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
which variation would be recommended? trying to get into the character.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
Whichever you want to play but Ravenous and Piercing are the most common/popular ones
ok, thanks. im a damage head. looks like i would enjoy Ravenous more.

Ask me anything regarding Ravenous.
cool. I have one So far. Out of f23 HOP/b12 throw~uu2 which ender should be my staple? I see the hop leave me closer but its not plus on hit so its not like im at the advantage. The Bite ender leave them far away and not plus as well.

SaltFace NS

Ultimate Mileena Exterminator
ok, thanks. im a damage head. looks like i would enjoy Ravenous more.

cool. I have one So far. Out of f23 HOP/b12 throw~uu2 which ender should be my staple? I see the hop leave me closer but its not plus on hit so its not like im at the advantage. The Bite ender leave them far away and not plus as well.
Honestly when I play Ravenous I switch between all of my Enders depending on the character I'm fighting, the situation of the match, the position you are on the stage, etc etc.

There is no set in stone ender to always use...use all of them.

Reactions: STK

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Honestly when I play Ravenous I switch between all of my Enders depending on the character I'm fighting, the situation of the match, the position you are on the stage, etc etc.

There is no set in stone ender to always use...use all of them.
Quick question hope you don't mind, but any pointers on how to approach Sub Zero?

MU is a real pain for me : (

JDE

I added some things to the Ethereal variation here. Will put more stuff up tomorrow like her normals in the section & then finish the Ravenous stuff. As far as combos go, I'll just link the combo threads into this one so that it wouldn't be so much digging.

Edit: Sorry for not posting as much. I've been dealing with some things & also needed some quality time to myself.

Last edited:
I think what this guide is missing is the overall use of each of her tools. For example,
- When is it best to throw sais? From what range? after what setup?
- Ways to make use of IAS/Low to the ground Air Sai?
- How do you best make use of Roll/EX Roll?
- Ways to make use of Telekick/EX Telekick?
...and so on

budding Mileena user here. :)

Prev. main was Ninj. Scorp but I felt like Mileena (P/R) was more well rounded. Might user her as a secondary or switch altogether. :)

Just a couple of Qs:

1) As scorp, I've had nothing but problems facing against good Cassie and Sonya users. Is this MU very frustrating for you Mileena mainers as well? How do you guys handle the MU's against them?

Cassie Strings that give me fits
- b124 (i can block it but pfft...plus frames everything until she messes up by doing a blocked cartwheel)
- f33 (OH starter)
- db1 (low starter)

Sonya strings that give me fits
- b14>MS mixup (OH starter)
- b33>mixup (low starter)

Any tips on how to at least "telegraph" which mixup they'd be using?

2) waking up

Because of the nature of her two logical wake up moves (bd4 and dd3), I seem to be eating meaties all day. Am I ****ed in this department?

3) f3 string

Any tips on how to "correctly" use this? We could see it a mile away and I know it low crushes. Maybe I'm just not seeing it yet.

Thanks in adv!

budding Mileena user here. :)

Prev. main was Ninj. Scorp but I felt like Mileena (P/R) was more well rounded. Might user her as a secondary or switch altogether. :)

Just a couple of Qs:

1) As scorp, I've had nothing but problems facing against good Cassie and Sonya users. Is this MU very frustrating for you Mileena mainers as well? How do you guys handle the MU's against them?

Cassie Strings that give me fits
- b124 (i can block it but pfft...plus frames everything until she messes up by doing a blocked cartwheel)
- f33 (OH starter)
- db1 (low starter)

Sonya strings that give me fits
- b14>MS mixup (OH starter)
- b33>mixup (low starter)

Any tips on how to at least "telegraph" which mixup they'd be using?

2) waking up

Because of the nature of her two logical wake up moves (bd4 and dd3), I seem to be eating meaties all day. Am I ****ed in this department?

3) f3 string

Any tips on how to "correctly" use this? We could see it a mile away and I know it low crushes. Maybe I'm just not seeing it yet.

Thanks in adv!
Ex Fade
Ex Fade
Ex Fade.

Cassie is a hard matchup period, but EX Fade helps deal with her frame pressure. Her b124 has a gap between the 2 and the 4 where you can Roll or armor through. They shouldn't be getting away with using the full string predictably. (If you use Ethereal, EX Fade will get you out of trouble even when she's at plus.)

Sonya in the corenr is a problem for everyone. Same deal with Ex Fade. You get knocked down and she starts her overhead/low game, you can EX Fade behind her and punish. Also you can wakeup with EX Roll if people are using "meaties". As long as they don't use 2-hit attacks.

F3 is just a hard read. Not much more. You predict they'll stick out a low poke or grab or something and use it. Really not that amazing as an overhead to be honest.

Thanks for the heads up. Need to accept the fact that I'll never get the (meterless) damage output of R/P when using Ethereal; good news is that I've sorta realized the escape potential of ethereal against +frames abusers like the Cage family. Still need to practice some more. :)

Based on exp, is a meterless E. Mileena f***** in the corner if any of the cages corner her? Or will bf2 suffice?

PS: Really having a hard time doing a "wake up" armored ball; tips?

Thanks,

Ex Fade
Ex Fade
Ex Fade.

Cassie is a hard matchup period, but EX Fade helps deal with her frame pressure. Her b124 has a gap between the 2 and the 4 where you can Roll or armor through. They shouldn't be getting away with using the full string predictably. (If you use Ethereal, EX Fade will get you out of trouble even when she's at plus.)

Sonya in the corenr is a problem for everyone. Same deal with Ex Fade. You get knocked down and she starts her overhead/low game, you can EX Fade behind her and punish. Also you can wakeup with EX Roll if people are using "meaties". As long as they don't use 2-hit attacks.

F3 is just a hard read. Not much more. You predict they'll stick out a low poke or grab or something and use it. Really not that amazing as an overhead to be honest.

Jolt

Uprise
Thanks for the heads up. Need to accept the fact that I'll never get the (meterless) damage output of R/P when using Ethereal; good news is that I've sorta realized the escape potential of ethereal against +frames abusers like the Cage family. Still need to practice some more. :)

Based on exp, is a meterless E. Mileena f***** in the corner if any of the cages corner her? Or will bf2 suffice?

PS: Really having a hard time doing a "wake up" armored ball; tips?

Thanks,
Yes, ethereal is basically screwed on a knockdown from the Cages without meter lol. Normal fade (bf2) is NOT good enough. No invincibility, slow startup, slow recovery.

For the wakeup roll, you are probably just getting a little bit of panic in your inputs. Slow it down and make sure it's a nice precise bd4+Block (4+block at the SAME time)

You might be able to wakeup backdash certain strings, and you can definitely disrespect Sonya with a normal ball roll if you predict she's going overhead.

You're not COMPLETELY useless once knocked down, but you have to remain composed or else you will wakeup roll into a block, get punished, and then do the same thing again. Honestly, it can sometimes (depending on health) help to do a wakeup roll once just so you can do a wakeup grab the next time (they're expecting roll) and hopefully get out of the corner

Jolt

Uprise

JDE

I'm back now. I am terribly sorry for not finishing the last sections. I've just been in school & stuff. :(.

Wasn't sure where to put this since I didn't want to make a new thread for it, but here's the video I promised.
Telekick resets in a similar vein to what Chance described in his Ethereal guide. This works in every variation, but the benefits of using it will vary.

It's just an idea; more like a Work In Progress, for how we can look at her offense and mixups.

@JDE @TheGabStandard @MyronJ
@Mr. Mileena @JerzeyReign @EMPEROR_SunFire
@Nu-Skoool @Damaja325 @BeastOfManila @GQJ
@SEN WIIISE @TakeAChance @Ninjaguy446
@YOMI RM SaltFace @1man3letters @Akromaniac27
@Ns_Brutalmileena @Yoaks @flawless @YoloRoll1stHit

Last edited: