What's new

Question - Kung Lao The difference between J3 and J4?

Nate

Mutant Rebel
I've just started my learning with Kung Lao, and am trying to work my way through the BNB's. Struggling as always but making progress lol.

As a quick question because I haven't seen it written anywhere, is it pretty much assumed that all jump kicks into dive kicks should be done with a Jumping 3? I'm not sure about the neutrol j3 and j4, but as for Ji3 and Ji4 there seems to be a big difference in frames even though the data isn't listed as such in his moves. I notice i couldn't get certain combo's to work when I try with j4. I've noticed that the j4 involves a stance switch in the air, and I think this makes certain combo's not possible where there's a very short window of time to connect the jumping kick.

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere else, I haven't seen it. But if anybody can confirm this, I think it might be a good idea to update the BNB thread with a disclaimer as to this fact right near the top, since the move features so heavily in so many combos. And even combo's the don't become impossible with the j4, seem to be easier with a j3. Again, my bad if it's already come up somewhere.

I only use Jump 3. I don't see a reason to ever use jump 4, it is slower has less active frames and for some reason even has less cancel advantage. I am pretty sure foxy and coolwhip use J3 as well.

coolwhip

Noob
I strictly use j3 for the reasons noted above. Even execution wise, I find it easier to do jk/dk with d3 into d4 but that's a PS4 pad related issue.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 

Nate

Mutant Rebel
You're confusing J3 and J4 with NJ3/NJ4. The neutral punch and kick are the same regardless of the button used, but the forward/back jump attacks have different frame data for each button.

You can do a quick check here on Temjin's MKX Frame Data project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tU7Hqk8VtuEM3Pj1T4pKY-4dAuiO-Lkh6N4kStJGAxY/edit?pli=1#gid=1641440341
Fuck me, you're totally right. Well, I'm a jackass, sorry about that everybody. I just shot right to the bottom of the move list and didn't even look at the right section. Well at least now I know to avoid jump in 4.Thanks for pointing that out to me.