What's new

The Daily Show's take on the Scottish independence referendum

The Highlander

There can be only one
I can imagine :/ what would you like to happen?
Hmm it's really tough but as much as I am a patriot I don't see the need for separation. I never saw any injustice (see what I did there?) come about from being in the union, but I have lived in another country for a while now so what do I know. My friends back there are split I believe... What is your opinion Youphemism? I have tried to keep up with it, but news sources over here are not the best at covering global events so I am rather uneducated on the matter.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Hmm it's really tough but as much as I am a patriot I don't see the need for separation. I never saw any injustice (see what I did there?) come about from being in the union, but I have lived in another country for a while now so what do I know. My friends back there are split I believe... What is your opinion Youphemism? I have tried to keep up with it, but news sources over here are not the best at covering global events so I am rather uneducated on the matter.
I don't think I'm informed enough to form a decent opinion either, and as such I'm not voting on Thursday. Buuuutttt from the little I've seen/heard I can tell that the BBC are being hugely biased in their coverage (more biased towards the No campaign as of course they're the British Broadcasting Corporation) and the Yes campaign seems to have better foundations to their argument in general anyway rather than the No side's fearmongering and scaring people.

The main arguments I see floating around are "if the No campaign are promising that Scotland will change for the better if there's a No vote, why hasn't it already happened? Why wait until now to bring in these 'changes'? " and "if Scotland is so crap like they say, why are the No side campaigning to keep it?" which are good points to bring up. Apparently Scotland has a hell of a lot of resources too like exported whisky and oil that hasn't been tapped in to which could turn it into one of the richest countries in the world.

But in general I get bored of people constantly arguing on Facebook trying to sway opinions and politics just doesn't interest me either so I don't plan to vote :)

The Highlander

There can be only one
I don't think I'm informed enough to form a decent opinion either, and as such I'm not voting on Thursday. Buuuutttt from the little I've seen/heard I can tell that the BBC are being hugely biased in their coverage (more biased towards the No campaign as of course they're the British Broadcasting Corporation) and the Yes campaign seems to have better foundations to their argument in general anyway rather than the No side's fearmongering and scaring people.

The main arguments I see floating around are "if the No campaign are promising that Scotland will change for the better if there's a No vote, why hasn't it already happened? Why wait until now to bring in these 'changes'? " and "if Scotland is so crap like they say, why are the No side campaigning to keep it?" which are good points to bring up. Apparently Scotland has a hell of a lot of resources too like exported whisky and oil that hasn't been tapped in to which could turn it into one of the richest countries in the world.

But in general I get bored of people constantly arguing on Facebook trying to sway opinions and politics just doesn't interest me either so I don't plan to vote :)
Yea the heated debates on FB never seem to go anywhere. Haha, I don't think we'd be the richest country in the world but there is definitely enough resources to sustain us if it's managed well. The main problem I have is that, on both sides, no one seems to be in it for Scotland. Alex Salmond and David Cameron both come across as sleazy, and I doubt either of them put the countries interests above their own. I saw one vid that explained it pretty well, and honestly there are only two good solutions, neither of which seem set to happen. Either way, good luck to you, hopefully it doesn't affect your life too much.

4x4lo8o

Noob
What are the benefits of independance for Scottland? The only one I've really heard that doesn't seem to be based in nationalism is that Scottland tends to be more liberal than the rest of the UK and is stuck under this conservative Cameron government.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
What are the benefits of independance for Scottland? The only one I've really heard that doesn't seem to be based in nationalism is that Scottland tends to be more liberal than the rest of the UK and is stuck under this conservative Cameron government.
Westminster won't have control over our finances and won't be able to tap into our resources which we could use for the prosperity of the country, and considering Westminster is practically the reason the UK went into the worst depression since the 30s, getting control over our money would be great. The Scottish taxpayers' money wouldn't be getting spent on England's problems and basically just as I said that we'd have control over it. This link also describes how Scotland could make billions from its oil and gas industries, and combined with other exports like whisky, shortbread, fish, textiles and their tourism industry we'd make a lot of money. In fact, we could be one of the richest countries in Europe, maybe the world.

The Scottish vote hasn't swayed the outcome of the general election in about 60+ years either. There's 14 million people in the south of England alone, and Scotland only has 8 million. If the Scottish votes were taken out of the vote count for the general elections in the last 60ish years the result never changes. So if we were to be independent Scottish votes would actually have more of a say in the state of our country. Maybe for once Scotland will be recognised as a separate country too for once instead of being generalized with Britain or England -_- Andy Murray will also only be referred to as Scottish since the media likes to call him British when he wins and Scottish if he loses. No longer will people be allowed to be ignorant :p

Also Scotland only has one 't' ;)