What's new

Guide - Stunt Double The Complete JC Stunt Double Guide 10-5-15

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I've been playing a lot of Stunt Double recently, but I'm still pretty new to him overall. I have learned a couple things with him though that I didn't see touched on here.

1. i've begun to notice is people are catching onto 4/F3xxMimicxxMimic Kick as a starter after nut punch and armor through it, forcing to me eat a full combo. So to fix this (at least in the corner) is ending in 121. It has an insane knockdown recovery, so much so that you can raw Mimic and you're still plus. So you do your regular corner BnB but then end in 121, mimic, wait for wakeup, restart pressure with 2x mimic. I always end in nut punch if I want chip, but this seems like the best way for me to open up my opponent again and guarantee the corner pressure.

2. I've also learned that if you use mimics in your combo, you can end in 12(x6)xxNut Punch EX, 121 and be able to re-mimic because it takes long enough for your cooldown to reset
example: [1 mimc] (starter)xxDB1, NJP, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12xxNut Punch EX, 121.
Its not optimized damage but I value having 2 mimics out A LOT in the corner.
1. The only problem with 121, the second 1 tends to whiff against some hitboxes, which is dumb as hell but puts you in a horrible spot.

2. If you're going to combo into it, use b2, b2 is a hard knockdown and is more plus on hit.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
So I picked up Stunt Double, as Johnny Cage is one of my favorite game character. I used to play A-List but I have much more fun with SD, and this guide is a life saver so thank you. I do have a quick question though:
So let's say I just did a combo into nut. What are my best choices when I have:
-1 mimic
-2 mimics
-1 bar w/ mimics
Please and thanks, any advice is welcomed.

So I picked up Stunt Double, as Johnny Cage is one of my favorite game character. I used to play A-List but I have much more fun with SD, and this guide is a life saver so thank you. I do have a quick question though:
So let's say I just did a combo into nut. What are my best choices when I have:
-1 mimic
-2 mimics
-1 bar w/ mimics
Please and thanks, any advice is welcomed.
Here's what I do after nut punch:

1 Clone: 1,1,4 xx Clone Shadow Kick, f+3,4 or you can also do f+2,4 xx Clone Shadow Kick, 2,1,4
2 Clones: 1,1,4 xx Clone Shadow Kick, f+3 xx Clone Shadow Kick, 2,1,4

Last edited:

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Is this the place to discuss SD cage not being as good as people think?

SD cage is armor-able after every single mimic cancel into anything. Am I an idiot? Even if he doesn't cancel into mimic shadow kick he is still hella unsafe. What am I missing here and why is SD cage so good?

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Is this the place to discuss SD cage not being as good as people think?

SD cage is armor-able after every single mimic cancel into anything. Am I an idiot? Even if he doesn't cancel into mimic shadow kick he is still hella unsafe. What am I missing here and why is SD cage so good?

Stunt double is good for two reasons in my opinion. One the oh shit factor people struggle with the first few rounds against stunt double.

When you first make contact against someone and you double up alot of people get this panic factor. It seems like it's never their turn to press buttons. You play footsies. Make their attacks whiff and punish with your advancing strings or run into your 1,1 pressure. When you're unsafe you use the clone to make it relatively safe and then it's your turn or neutral all over again. It's overwhelming for people who are unused to stuntdouble.

Second is the pressure of what you COULD do. It takes some conditioning. Getting someone to fear your anti airing rising shadows and your trading and half screen poking cloned shadow kick (which is + on block) get them to expect the clone when you clone up and then you can keep it because they will block when you double up. Now instead of wasting your clone on a couple percent damage poke you can use it when you open an opponent up for some monstrous damage. Trade strategies every once in awhile and you will trip up your opponent and get him playing alot of defense. Keep it your turn. Grab them occasionally. I prefer stunt double to a list.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Stunt double is good for two reasons in my opinion. One the oh shit factor people struggle with the first few rounds against stunt double.

When you first make contact against someone and you double up alot of people get this panic factor. It seems like it's never their turn to press buttons. You play footsies. Make their attacks whiff and punish with your advancing strings or run into your 1,1 pressure. When you're unsafe you use the clone to make it relatively safe and then it's your turn or neutral all over again. It's overwhelming for people who are unused to stuntdouble.

Second is the pressure of what you COULD do. It takes some conditioning. Getting someone to fear your anti airing rising shadows and your trading and half screen poking cloned shadow kick (which is + on block) get them to expect the clone when you clone up and then you can keep it because they will block when you double up. Now instead of wasting your clone on a couple percent damage poke you can use it when you open an opponent up for some monstrous damage. Trade strategies every once in awhile and you will trip up your opponent and get him playing alot of defense. Keep it your turn. Grab them occasionally. I prefer stunt double to a list.
But in tournament against someone who knows the MU, your first point doesn't exist. Your second point is based on the word "could". I win with it and can beat people but I know Against the best players he will struggle. Why is he good in the tournament meta? Not the online scrub meta.

Syzoth

But in tournament against someone who knows the MU, your first point doesn't exist. Your second point is based on the word "could". I win with it and can beat people but I know Against the best players he will struggle. Why is he good in the tournament meta? Not the online scrub meta.
High damage. Relatively safe. Vortex. Hit confirmable. Good footsies. Might not parallel A list bit it's good enough that they probably won't buff it much. They certainly won't need it.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
High damage. Relatively safe. Vortex. Hit confirmable. Good footsies. Might not parallel A list bit it's good enough that they probably won't buff it much. They certainly won't need it.
Not safe. All mimic cancels are armorable.

No vortex...all is fuzzy able.

Hit confirmable yes but only on up shadow but no plus frames on block.

Cage does have good footsies but no safe pressure from it. Why is SD even remotely close to a list

Syzoth

If things aren't safe because they are armor able then every character is unsafe in the majority of their strings.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
If things aren't safe because they are armor able then every character is unsafe in the majority of their strings.
Except a list. I'm arguing the comparison between the two. A list is far beyond SD because he doesn't have that weakness. SD literally has no pressure without meter and without SD already being active.

Syzoth

Except a list. I'm arguing the comparison between the two. A list is far beyond SD because he doesn't have that weakness. SD literally has no pressure without meter and without SD already being active.
True.. true.

Cage does have good footsies but no safe pressure from it. Why is SD even remotely close to a list
You can set up mimic safely on hit with certain attacks and on knock down with others. If someone knows the match up, they will refuse to crouch block in neutral, allowing you to D4-mimic summon for free all day.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
You can set up mimic safely on hit with certain attacks and on knock down with others. If someone knows the match up, they will refuse to crouch block in neutral, allowing you to D4-mimic summon for free all day.
True but meter is the key. If I have mimic but no meter or I want to save my meter, my pressure is useless...now that I think about it, 113 ex mrs is not even a block string.

Best thing he gets is 113 straight shadow f3 straight shadow or grab. That's it

Last edited:

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!

you be surprised how good SD actually is.

Other than DJA ive still yet to see people play SD to a really good level.
You really need to know MU's with SD because for getting his mimics out depends on what char your fighting.

if they fixed his 113 whiff issue and reduced his timer like you think could be possible to like maybe 5 seconds, and nerfed AList's F3 to not allow blockstring, Stunt Double would be the better variation imo

but yeah AList is better no doubt.

Also cant wait to this Stunt Double guide as a lot of things in this are dated, wrong and missing alot of key points and tech

True but meter is the key. If I have mimic but no meter or I want to save my meter, my pressure is useless...now that I think about it, 113 ex mrs is not even a block string.

Best thing he gets is 123 straight shadow f3 straight shadow or grab. That's it
You would pick SD based on the match up. A List has a hard time against GM Sub, but mimics help SD in that fight. Also, the spacing of certain mimic block strings is very good for reversal baiting, being just outside of (for example) Tempest's ex spin range, but close enough for a punish. You also get other anti air options, armour breaking options in the corner, and more damage. He has his uses.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
You would pick SD based on the match up. A List has a hard time against GM Sub, but mimics help SD in that fight. Also, the spacing of certain mimic block strings is very good for reversal baiting, being just outside of (for example) Tempest's ex spin range, but close enough for a punish. You also get other anti air options, armour breaking options in the corner, and more damage. He has his uses.
its 21 frames start up, so your definitely not reacting to an AA with it, more of a read