What's new

The Chess MU

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Although my father won the national chess championship before i was born (82) and he is considered a chess master, i never got so much interest in the sport at all.

I believe on chess i know how to move the objects, how to eat and a few basics which was taught by him when i was 5 if i recall correctly.

But when it comes to advanced strategies, i'm a straight noob, but that is my fault for never actually get interested into them, It was my father who took me to the arcades when i was 7 :p

So i've been willing to learn a bit of advancing chess, so i can challenge my father a whenever i can and my older brother as well.

I also feel a bit guilty that there isin't a single son of my father that plays chess in the competitive circuit, my older sister used to do it when she was 14 and she was a freaking monster, but she is a scrub now since he is a mother of 3 kids, married and has a lot of stuff to do.

The reason i'm creating this thread, is to get some insight from people that plays chess like maybe @Pig Of The Hut and if he plays more likely @AK L0rdoftheFLY might play as well.

If not, anyone that plays, to give me your prespective on advanced strats and what the hell are openings and how does this stuff works, my father gave a bunch of books with a bunch of things i don't understand or have dedicated time to sit down and read.

So i figured i could do this with people from the same world as i am, that definitely can use familiar words to make me understand much faster than a book with 10001 ways of landing a xeque-mate.

Also, if you guys want to play some games online it would be cool, but currently i dunno a good chess website for that.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Openings are just literally the opening moves in a game of Chess. Different openings are suited to people with different play styles, such as defensive and offensive. Openers are normally premeditated as they are part of a strategy that the player has thought about extensively. A common opener is usually a Gambit where, usually white since they go first, the players intentionally sacrafice pieces and push material up the board to gain positional advantage or set up traps. Gambits have different names depending on what piences you play. There's also strategies for black to counter the gambits and so on. Chess can get really complex, if you want to learn, I recommned watching YouTube videos and reading books! "Chess For Dummies 2nd Edition" by James Eade is the one I have. This game is all about learning about openings, mid game, and enders and you really need to knuckle down and study to git gud. Hope this kind of helps lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Openings are just literally the opening moves in a game of Chess. Different openings are suited to people with different play styles, such as defensive and offensive. Openers are normally premeditated as they are part of a strategy that the player has thought about extensively. A common opener is usually a Gambit where, usually white since they go first, the players intentionally sacrafice pieces and push material up the board to gain positional advantage or set up traps. Gambits have different names depending on what piences you play. There's also strategies for black to counter the gambits and so on. Chess can get really complex, if you want to learn, I recommned watching YouTube videos and reading books! "Chess For Dummies 2nd Edition" by James Eade is the one I have. This game is all about learning about openings, mid game, and enders and you really need to knuckle down and study to git gud. Hope this kind of helps lol.
I will look for that book and take a look, i feel so scrubby now lol.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I will look for that book and take a look, i feel so scrubby now lol.
Don't feel scrubby man, everyone starts somewhere and at you seem to be interested so that's good!

I mean, I don't want to give specific advice because I don't feel I'm qualified enough to but I tried to point you in the right direction.

Scrub :DOGE

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
With clock set to five mins openings dont rly matter that much. My father has also won many tours here on Finland. I just resently started to play chess again after 13years. Nyt I usually open with horses or pawn e2 to 3, yhen Queen to f3 and messenger( its called that in fin, dont remember english name) from f1 to c4. If they dont see it u just put Queen fromf3 to f7 and check mate :)

Edit: Seasoned players will see this early attempt to checkmate but the opening is still good

Last edited:
With clock set to five mins openings dont rly matter that much. My father has also won many tours here on Finland. I just resently started to play chess again after 13years. Nyt I usually open with horses or pawn e2 to 3, yhen Queen to f3 and messenger( its called that in fin, dont remember english name) from f1 to c4. If they dont see it u just put Queen fromf3 to f7 and check mate :)

Edit: Seasoned players will see this early attempt to checkmate but the opening is still good
no, that opening isnt good, thats cheese :D

i play chess in a club here locally, have around 1700 DWZ (german equivalent for Elo), thats around average for club players i would say. ultrascrubs have ca 700-900 and your dad will have 2200+ if he is a grandmaster. we could play if you want to :)

Chess is best learned from behind. This means: u first need to learn the endgame. How to checkmate with a queen and a king, then with a rook and a king, then with a pawn and a king. Then you need to learn all the a bit more advanced stuff in the endgame, like how to force a free pawn to the enemies baseline or how to create a free pawn in the first place.

By learning the endgame, you know what you need to win the game. Now comes the midgame. In the midgame we learn how to reach the goals we desire for the endgame, like a plus pawn, a free pawn, the bishop pair, or any advantage you can get. You learn things like "forks", where one piece attacks two pieces of the enemy, forcing the enemy to lose one, and "Bindings", this is locking an enemy piece in place by attacking two pieces in a line with a rook, a bishop or potentially a queen. This is probably the most difficult thing to learn, you just need to play a lot and get a feel of the game, so to say.

Then, after mastering the midgame, we can finally learn some openings, so we dont get totally destroyed in the first few moves. The goal of the opening is to get to the midgame conveniently with as much advantage as possible. Openings are the least important thing in the game.

Thats basically my quick resume of chess :D I highly recommend it to anyone. the great thing about this game is, there is absolutely no luck involved. everything you do is your own mistake, you can blame nothing else for it.

Last edited: