What's new

The Blind Swordsman - The Kenshi Discussion Thread

Zebster

How's my volume?
Seeing as how we'll be getting some info on Kenshi soon:
"@pakostevens Can you tell me more about Kenshi's back throw and other moves ???
pakostevens Paulo Garcia
@mingzang39 NinjaBoy66 will release a cool teaser trailer for him in a few days."
I'd say it's about time to open up a thread to discuss Kenshi and speculate for a couple of days how he'll be until they show us some stuff.
PS:
"@pakostevens Anything from Tai Chi in there? #Kenshi
@Check_4900 there is a low to palm push combo, his 1,1,x, and his sweep is very mkda-taichi'ish."

leek

Noob
Care to explain how he worked in previous games? I've only played MK1 through MK4 and MK9 so I haven't seen him besides in pictures/etc.

what's his fighting style? special moves from older games/what you think new ones will be? thanks :D

How he played then is pretty moot now considering that they've stated he's been completely rebooted moveset wise. Before, his whole gimmick was that he was a swordsman with telekinetic abilities (mixed with Tai Chi and Judo abilities), however according to what Tom Brady heard from NRS, he's strictly going to have a swordsman fighting style, so no Telekinetic stuff anymore.
I'd imagine this implies he'll fight like a traditional samurai type mixing sword strokes with counters, parries, and maybe some influence from his martial arts skills like Judo throws, Jiu Jitsu holds, and some Tai Chi elements as well.

I would love to see a Kenshi reboot. I didn't really like the character back in the day. Why? Just didn't like his style and the TK stuff I didn't like cuz that's Ermac's thing. Kenshi never did anything amazing with his TK and that disappointed me. I always thought if they altered Kenshi just a bit he would be pretty damn cool.

If he does have parries, holds and throws that will be freakin badass. We need more defensive characters and less rushdowns for new dlc characters.

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
Kenshi is the only other character i've confided in other than Saurians :) i really hope they incoorperate a lot of T'ai Chi into his move-set, as it will seem odd to fight someone who strictly has a sword for every attack[as long as he uses it sparingly like scorpion, skarlett, etc] I'd hope that NRS has a unique route on his fighting style executions since he's outright blind. basically a character who doesn't just rely on a huge rush-down. they should give him a unique stance too instead of heavy breathing like some characters. i want him look like he's feeling out the battlefield with his super-blindness. deliberate movements, but he SEES with his whole body, not just his face/head directing...... but i realize we're at the dawn of seeing some footage of him, so i might be getting ahead of myself.

Owerbart

I miss you
I agree that Kenshi will have a rebooted moveset, guessing that he does not meet Ermac in this timeline. Maybe a more melee kinda character?

mingzang

Master of Disaster
LMAO @ shoryuken member :rofl: :

iQuick said:
Keanu Reeves in “The Blind Nigga Samurai.”
Coming to a Theater Near You!
Kenshi is SICK !!! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

TrickyNick

Weather Man
He looks amazing. Really loving his reflect move, and i got to say the way his fatality look was pretty sweet as well.

question.. in the Kenshi Trailer when Kenshi is doing his telekinesis sword attacks is that Kenshi's ancestors Attacking?? i can barely notice

Yet another A+/S tier character.. Damn lol.

+ Seems to have long range telekinesis similar to Ermac (gonna be a bitch to close dist)
+ Has a Reflect like Nightwolf that can lead into X-ray (can't be zoned)
+ Seems to excell at mid-range
+ Has a low AND an overhead launcher (sick mixups up close)
+ Some pokes look insanely good and possibly safe on block looking at their stupid range

So basically this Kenshi dude is Ermac without teleport + Nightwolf + Baraka + Jade? Very smart NRS. You will sell many Kenshis indeed.

Now I'm really scared to see what they'll do with Rain...

+ Seems to have long range telekinesis similar to Ermac (gonna be a bitch to close dist)
+ A low AND an overhead launcher (sick mixups up close)
+ Pokes look insanely good and possibly safe on block looking at their stupid range

So basically this Kenshi dude is Ermac without teleport + Nightwolf + Baraka + Liu Kang? Very smart NRS. You will sell many Kenshis indeed.
I dont think he has a rushdown like Liu Kang. I do see Ermac + NW and the Tarkatan

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
question.. in the Kenshi Trailer when Kenshi is doing his telekinesis sword attacks is that Kenshi's ancestors Attacking?? i can barely notice
I just assumed it was the same kind of energy that Ermac has, but constituted as a copy of Kenshi.

+ Has a low AND an overhead launcher (sick mixups up close)
+ Some pokes look insanely good and possibly safe on block looking at their stupid range

So basically this Kenshi dude is Ermac without teleport + Nightwolf + Baraka + Liu Kang? Very smart NRS. You will sell many Kenshis indeed.

Now I'm really scared to see what they'll do with Rain...
you cant tell off a trailer if hes going to be an A+ character or not..what i got from the trailer is that he has slow startups on his moves and plays keep away similar to noob and plays very defensively with sword counters.

cyke_out

Noob
We don't know if Kenshie has a low combo starter. It looked like the same kind of kick both Nigthwolf and Kano does, but Kano F+3, b+2 is a low now, while Nightwolf's f+3, 1 is not a low.

He's clearly not a "lame" zoner. He's all mid-range like Baraka, Mileena and Jade. I'm guessing he struggles from too far away and up close. He's obviously a footsies based character.

Sektor said:
you cant tell off a trailer if hes going to be an A+ character or not.
Sure you can, we've done it with Skarlet after all. :p

Nah you're right. We can't know for sure where he'll end up on the tier list, but just looking at a character's offensive/defensive tools and mobility can give you a pretty good idea of his potential success in this game.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
He seems to have a similar low poke to overhead like stryker. Anyway that low poke my be a high just like someone mention with NW. crossing fingers to be a low poke

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Damn why do all these new dlc characters look so much better then the current characters in game? I mean even though their still different I feel like im playing a lesser version of skarlet when I play mileena etc. Still he hasn't been released so guess I'll have to wait and see, just hoping for a mid tier char as dlc that plays uniquely.

With all the shadowy stuff kenshi reminds me of noob lol but seeing as they didn't really show off projecticles Im guessin like others have said he's a mid range character. Also just looking at his strings they all look like they have crazy range, hope all the dlc characters arnt too good I only want to buy a few lol.

Damn why do all these new dlc characters look so much better then the current characters in game? I mean even though their still different I feel like im playing a lesser version of skarlet when I play mileena etc. Still he hasn't been released so guess I'll have to wait and see, just hoping for a mid tier char as dlc that plays uniquely.

With all the shadowy stuff kenshi reminds me of noob lol but seeing as they didn't really show off projecticles Im guessin like others have said he's a mid range character. Also just looking at his strings they all look like they have crazy range, hope all the dlc characters arnt too good I only want to buy a few lol.
its all psychological as for the first part of your post. For instance if kenshi was already in the game since launch we'd be used to him and cry about how hes overpowered then lets say ermac came out for dlc and everybody would be like zomggg he looks like a telekenetik mummy! so awesome hes the best thing since cutting butter with a knife and spreading it on two slices of bread, adding cheese and grilling it!

yeah, since his slow start ups on his attacks and their range is far he will be played at mid range for sure.

thwak

Noob
its all psychological as for the first part of your post. For instance if kenshi was already in the game since launch we'd be used to him and cry about how hes overpowered then lets say ermac came out for dlc and everybody would be like zomggg he looks like a telekenetik mummy! so awesome hes the best thing since cutting butter with a knife and spreading it on two slices of bread, adding cheese and grilling it!

yeah, since his slow start ups on his attacks and their range is far he will be played at mid range for sure.
Pretty much what I was gonna post. Does the trailer make him look good? Yes, but that's what a trailer is supposed to do. We don't know that much about his normals or how safe they are. For all we know he may have to take huge risks in order to be effective.

The only thing we know for certain that he can do is punish projectiles with an xray at full screen. And while that sounds OP in theory, if you know about the match up you'll know not to just spam projectiles willy nilly.