What's new

The Black Heart - Indie horror fighting game (Freeware)

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
thank you. looks interesting, downloading now

EDIT:

Characters
Definitely worth as free download if your into horror, not because its necessarily scary but because of its referenced characters. e.g Noroko is The Ring/The Grudge/BongCheong Dong Ghost. The character intros and outros are cool and there are even matchup specific ones. The fatalities are retro and any MK fan could appreciate them. There's a tree dude who hates humans with a cool stage but his moveset is a bit stale.

Gameplay
There's even a simultaneous 2v2 mode which is a first for me, but its basically a button masher lol. The movelists are quite small though, you get 4 standing normals, 4 crouch normals, 4 airs, 3-4 specials, 3 supers, and one finisher per character. Each character also has a Killer Mode which drains meter but they're not really fun to use.

Presentation
Character stories are cool and dark but as far as I know, there aren't any relationships between the characters, its really just origin stories and talking to the final boss. Sounds are spot on: creepy music, Noroko's screams, Peketo's chilling Japanese phrases, etc. Backgrounds are sweet and are probably one of the strongest points of this game. What really shines is the personality of the moves, heck even Noroko's forward dash is her zombie charging forward, reminiscent of those creepy korean ghost movies. She also a parry where she cries (the classic ghost bait). So yeah the developer is clever

Score
I would give it a 7.4

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Looks pretty rough, but honestly it looks really cool.

Does it play well?
It's kinda weird this one. Plays alright but to input specials you have to be precise, like if you were doing down forward punch you'd have to press and release each one quite quickly one after the other, or else the move doesn't come out/a normal comes out. I quite like Peketo but he's the only character I've played so far lol

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Been playing Peketo and Noroko in training mode the few times I've played it and you can get 50% corner combos with them pretty easily haha