What's new

Strategy - Leatherface The best way to block Leatherface?

Ok, so this is my 1st post on TYM, and I have seen how lethal some guys can be lol. Anyways, I went against a Butcher Leatherface today and of course due to little match up information on him I got mauled. From my understanding he's a vortex type character so I know its basically 50/50 but what are his safe and unsafe options to start off. And what are the best practices for blocking and/or counter poking him. I may have to pick him up at a later time but right now I'm concentrating on CSZ for now. If anyone has any good stuff I'd really appreciate the matchup knowledge, Thanks guys!

Wigy

There it is...
pray to ed boons eyebrows and hope for the best

:DOGE

Take him into practice and look at the frame data, record him doing the mixups and practice your punishes.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Most butcher LF's tend to use f21d2 (overhead) or f3 (low) to start their combos. Since you can hitconfirm the OH and not the low, more often then not the OH will come out. Depending on the outcome of the match will determine how often they'll use the low (they have two bars for a breaker, they have a huge life lead and can afford to take a risk, or you have a big life lead and they need to take a risk, etc).

During a blockstring, most LF's will usually cancel the string into his df2. Df2 is +2 on block, and puts them in a good situation since f12 will catch backdashes. If they keep doing stuff like f21d2xxdf2 you can armor or backdash before the df2 hits. Depending on your character, you may be able to poke out.

Once you start showing that you've adapted to that, most LF's will start to enhance the df2 to blow up your poke/armor. Once they start doing that you can just block and punish since EX Df2 is -15.

LF can also just do a ghetto 50/50 and cancel strings into either his db1 (OH) or db3 (low). Both don't lead to any big damage on hit and both are super punishable on block.

If you get cornered by butcher then it's ggs.

Most butcher LF's tend to use f21d2 (overhead) or f3 (low) to start their combos. Since you can hitconfirm the OH and not the low, more often then not the OH will come out. Depending on the outcome of the match will determine how often they'll use the low (they have two bars for a breaker, they have a huge life lead and can afford to take a risk, or you have a big life lead and they need to take a risk, etc).

During a blockstring, most LF's will usually cancel the string into his df2. Df2 is +2 on block, and puts them in a good situation since f12 will catch backdashes. If they keep doing stuff like f21d2xxdf2 you can armor or backdash before the df2 hits. Depending on your character, you may be able to poke out.

Once you start showing that you've adapted to that, most LF's will start to enhance the df2 to blow up your poke/armor. Once they start doing that you can just block and punish since EX Df2 is -15.

LF can also just do a ghetto 50/50 and cancel strings into either his db1 (OH) or db3 (low). Both don't lead to any big damage on hit and both are super punishable on block.

If you get cornered by butcher then it's ggs.
This is what I was looking for! Thanks, with CSZ I was able to poke after blocking the f21d2xxdf2 and many times I believe it was with standing 1 (I think) But from there I couldn't figure out what to do if he kept aggressing. And your right about the corner issue with Butcher, which was crazy because with CSZ my whole goal was to get HIM to the corner and without knowing how to block or counter correctly it was me and I got screwed. Really appreciate the knowledge though, I'm going to take LF to the lab and test out the MU. Next I'll work on countering Killer, sheesh these new characters put in work on me right now lol.