What's new

Strategy The Art of Digital War

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Only attack when the opportunity presents itself, stay unpredictable and learn as much as you can about your matchups beforehand. You cannot beat your enemy, you can only let your enemy defeat himself.

Seriously though, if you're interested, read the whole post. That TL;DR is pretty much useless for a post like this. @karaokelove did an excellent job of applying the teachings of Sun Tzu to FG's and two sentences doesn't do it justice.

Dramatica

Forecast calls for missiles
Awesome dude. Somebody on TYM using their brain (or even having one). Thought it'd never happen again.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just finished another chapter. I'm officially over halfway through the book (possibly more, depending on how many additional chapters are applicable to fighting games).

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just finished a great chapter! It had some very solid concrete information in it; stuff that translated directly into the world of fighting games.

Shady

Noob
I read The Art of War, but sorry, I ain't reading that (TLDR).

You must be REALLY BORED waiting for MKX.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Just a few things: the "def over off" and "letting the enemy come to you" can't always be applied to all games, all characters and all playstyles, as there are characters who have very weak defenses and must rely on their offense since it is their neutral state. Being put on the defensive is a disadvantage for them. Also, not all games can afford an overly defensive playstyle. Take UMK3 for example, the attacker has a lot of mix-up options to choose from and is at an instant advantage simply for being on the offense. It's hard to be a "walled city" when your defense consists of only walls and your enemy has aircraft, grappling hooks to climb over the walls and the pressure of breaking down the walls.

Although I think that all of these apply perfectly to a game like USF4, where you can afford time to analyze your opponent and act accordingly in the following rounds/matches.