What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kung Lao Tempest hat spin setups to counter Smoke's wakeup ex smoke forward in the corner

myri

Time Warrior
Ok so this is more of a discussion I wanted to start that any real 100% guaranteed stuff I've found while I was looking at this today. So basically I was looking for ways to try and guarantee my positioning and possibly get damage while playing against Smoke if he decides to use ex smoke forward to wakeup in the corner. Right now you can easily stuff regular wakeup smoke forward with 11212 and get a full combo for it, but ex smoke forward won't get hit by anything so;

Everything that I've been looking into so far has involved ending a combo in Kung Lao's 21 string, what I have found is that if after you finish your combo with 21, if you immediately put out a hatspin as soon as you recover from the 21 it will catch Smoke after he smokes out the corner and you can do 44 into a full combo. However you do give up your corner position which sucks so to counter that I've being experimenting with doing hat spin and then backdashing (A use for Kung Lao's backdash!) which still catches Smoke after ex smoke forward and again you can use 44 for a full combo while maintaining your corner positioning.

The timing is very tight and this is where it gets a little weird. From my experimentation so far I've found that you have to time all of this pretty perfectly to guarantee the hat spin to hit, allowing for the full combo. Depending on the timing Smoke maybe be able to block the hat but he definitely can't press buttons after ex smoke away or he will get hit by the hat so he has to hold that. Ideally you want the backdash to happen at almost the same time as ex smoke forward does or just a little bit before. If the opponent decides not to wakeup and stands in the corner the hat will still hit even if you backdash so they will have to hold that too.

If the opponent tech rolls then they will be able to block the hat after ex smoke forward but again they can't press buttons and you still have positioning. This is all just stuff I've been trying today to try and counter this but it seems really dependent on the timing, sometimes the hat hits and I can get a full combo, sometimes Smoke is able to block and sometimes (weirdly, although less frequent) he will actually get hit by the hat at the start of ex smoke forward (the hat goes away like it normally would on hit but Smoke takes no damage and completes the ex smoke forward).

Is there a better way to counter his wakeup option here?

TL;DR How do you play against wakeup ex smoke forward from the corner and is this a good way to do it?

Last edited:

myri

Time Warrior
Got around to recording this finally. This is how it should work ideally, the timing is very strict. Opponent is set to wakeup ex smoke forward, auto block, tech roll off.

and with tech roll on.

Last edited: