What's new

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 General Discussion

VizNasty

Noob
I'm not really much of a gamer, but I got into Injustice recently because I always wanted to learn fighting games. (I've been mostly a SNES era gamer, so SF2).

I just tried TTT2 last night and it's balls deep. How is there not a stronger following? I can find literally anything I want to know about Injustice online, but I have to work much, much harder for Tekken. At the end of the day, I like Injustice more right now, but Tekken is arguably a better game.

Anyone still playing? Any newbs on PS3? It seems as though new players would have a hard time getting into tekken if the only ones playing it online are experienced players. If I play Aris while knowing 10 moves for my mains, I'll get my ass handed to me and then stolen back.

Just watched the recent WNF archive. That match JustFrameJames vs. Sonken was a rollercoaster. Commentary was the funniest I've seen recently, Steve and Aris are godlike. Also, congrats to Sonken; James just went into full party mode, had a lot of chances to take the match but didn't take much advantage lol.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Been playing this game every now and then in December and this month. I was messing around in practice mode and I was able to connect EWGF - OTGF - EWGF - D1 semi-consistently, not even gonna attempt it in real matches but it's fun to mess around with this stuff sometimes when I feel like playing, but nobody is online.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I actually hung out with a ton of my oldest Tekken buddies this past weekend. We played a LOT. More TTT2 than I've played in the last year combined, I bet. The game IS really fun when sitting around playing with friends, but I don't really get an urge to practice it or train specifically to level up anymore.

I'm a project lead on some stuff at work, but if I can deliver this stuff early, I'm gonna go to SCR, and I'll definitely enter there.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
As in bad or good? I really think she is not that good. Retarded in TTT2 to me means Lars/Leo combo dmg in walled stages and some of Jinpachi's moves :D aaand everything that crushes mids lol.
Lol, Kuni is just retarded good as a High evel Yoshimitsu is, Who is the best Kunimitsu in the TTT2 world right now?

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Lol, Kuni is just retarded good as a High evel Yoshimitsu is, Who is the best Kunimitsu in the TTT2 world right now?
uuhhmm... nobody plays her really. Can't remember any Koreans by name. Nothing she has is anything especially good, apart from her and Yoshi's hopkick. Yoshi is all gimmicks as well with only a few really good moves (hop kick that is better than the generic ones, fF4, 1+4).

OK, I went through Kuni's movelist again and she sucks as bad as the bears. The only good moves she has is her 2 out of the f3-command dash as it's safe and launches on CH and her df2 as it's a safe launcher that tracks all the way to her right and sidesteps to the left (doesn't really matter as she can be walked to her left side all day every day), other than that nope, too many moves that either launch, or do nothing/knockdown/wallsplat on hit are launch punishable on block and her overall risk/reward is just terrible, her full crouch sweep is pretty good for a launch punishable low, but that's it. Her running 3 is negative on block lol. Her stances can be interrupted and some have no mix-up what so ever (fF3). If you go for an empty fF3 you are just going to get twitch-ducked into ws4 and you can't trick anyone familiar with the matchup into eating her full crouch low or ws mids. Her parry can be sidestepped and launched even if it connects.

"Retarded good" in this game is Bruce IMO and even he has some weaknesses. Other Kenshi tier characters (easy to play, very good characters) are Leo and Lars.... aaand since everybody on TYM has an obsession with tier lists and MU-charts here is one. Tiers don't really matter that much in Tekken though and the gap between the top and bottom tiers isn't that big as we all know.

http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2013/jul/09/tekken-tag-tournament-2-tier-list-nobi-and-shudy/

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
uuhhmm... nobody plays her really. Can't remember any Koreans by name. Nothing she has is anything especially good, apart from her and Yoshi's hopkick. Yoshi is all gimmicks as well with only a few really good moves (hop kick that is better than the generic ones, fF4, 1+4).

OK, I went through Kuni's movelist again and she sucks as bad as the bears. The only good moves she has is her 2 out of the f3-command dash as it's safe and launches on CH and her df2 as it's a safe launcher that tracks all the way to her right and sidesteps to the left (doesn't really matter as she can be walked to her left side all day every day), other than that nope, too many moves that either launch, or do nothing/knockdown/wallsplat on hit are launch punishable on block and her overall risk/reward is just terrible, her full crouch sweep is pretty good for a launch punishable low, but that's it. Her running 3 is negative on block lol. Her stances can be interrupted and some have no mix-up what so ever (fF3). If you go for an empty fF3 you are just going to get twitch-ducked into ws4 and you can't trick anyone familiar with the matchup into eating her full crouch low or ws mids. Her parry can be sidestepped and launched even if it connects.

"Retarded good" in this game is Bruce IMO and even he has some weaknesses. Other Kenshi tier characters (easy to play, very good characters) are Leo and Lars.... aaand since everybody on TYM has an obsession with tier lists and MU-charts here is one. Tiers don't really matter that much in Tekken though and the gap between the top and bottom tiers isn't that big as we all know.

http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2013/jul/09/tekken-tag-tournament-2-tier-list-nobi-and-shudy/
lol you went to the kuni list and see what moves are punishable and you think she sucks? just lol.

how the hell do you play tekken?

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
OK then Eddy... let's talk about Kuni.

Df3 and the 2 cancel is a gimmick that can be fuzzy guarded. Twitch/flash ducking in case she does the 2 extension and going for a while standing 4 as soon as you see that she cancels the 2 into crouch, option selects/negates all her potential full crouch mix-ups. Kuni does not have the frames to cancel the 2 and then sidestep to whiff punish the ws4. Df3 by itself is -10 and you really can't press buttons afterwards. Same thing applies for standing 3: The 50/50 follow-ups can be fuzzy guarded by twitch ducking as she has to commit and can't delay the extensions. Her generic throws do not position change when broken or leave her at a frame advantage. On hit her throws do not give her any Okizeme options, 2+4 throw leaves the opponent close, but nothing is guaranteed it seems, not sure, correct me if I am wrong. Db4 seems like her safest low poke at -14 on block (Kazuya, Bruce, Jin, Bob, Slim Bob, Raven and some other characters will launch you), but it doesn't track to her left which is her weak side, and it's -3 on both regular and counter hit. B1 is the same cheese string as Yoshi has, just crouch jab as soon as you block any of the hits to avoid the +4 on block. B1 into any number of the hits and then into hop kick will not crush the dick jab. B1 into sidestep df2 may work for Kuni. Db3 string into f4 is the same Yoshi cheese, as soon as you block any of the lows, just let go of db and mash 4 to interrupt Kuni before the mid. 14 frame moves will trade with the f4, but Armor King (ws2) and Bryan (ws3) can CH launch Kuni with their 12 fr moves before the mid comes out, the mid has to be done, otherwise the string can be launched by all characters, Bruce/Kazuya can obviously launch this string every time.

By just looking at her movelist and her the framedata on RB Norway it becomes painfully obvious that poking with jabs, df1, db4 and sidesteps into df2 for whiff punishing counterpokes are your most legit way of applying offence with the character, or you can turtle and look for whiff punishes with fF2 or CH's with f3-2. SS3+4 can be used as it is a borderline seeable low and online it will probably not get blocked on reaction by anybody. Trying to get to crouch in your opponents face and get them to duck in anticipation of the FC df3 will most likely fail vs seasoned opponents. You can sometimes maybe duck and then immediately sidestep to get your opp to whiff their hop kicks if they choose to use them to negate the FC mix-up. Her df1 does not track to her left at all to where she seems to be completely free to sidesteps, her homing moves are also pretty slow and b2 is -10 on block and doesn't do anything on counterhit. F2,3 is a nice 13 frame punisher, as is 2,2 at 12 frames. The 3 extension to her df1 does not hit crouch jabbers between the 2 hits. You can sidestep and launch dick jabs though. This string is pretty good as the 3 is delayable and can work nicely to give you a "psychological frame advantage". U3+4 is a good panic move she shares with Yoshi. ub3, u3+4 and possibly u3 and b3+4 look like possible options for cancelling raw tags. Aside from u3+4 she has no mids that are advantage on block. Df4 is a very nice 12 frame mid poke, but that move does not track to her left either and it's -9 on block.

Still I see no reason to play Kuni what so ever. She does not seem to excel at any particular area of the game, nor can you call her a well rounded, "solid" character. Of course there may be a lot of tech or dirt she has that I am unaware of since I don't play her, but you can't just call her "retarded good" without giving any explanation what so ever. Unless you are willing to share some tech/strats that may change my view on the character? (she is low-to-mid tier at best).

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I Checked Kuni's move list and frame data, she sucks
I've been playing the character since the she is available, and i can tell you she may not be the best or whatsoever, but she is good.

Kuni is character designed to create mental threats, she is definitely a high risk high reward char, just like Skarlet in MK9, most of her damage comes from counters, bait ups and range whiff punish, overall is a char that can test patience of ppl, by going to the poking game to mistakes, lets not forget that she has a good damage output by herself, and she is a great filler for combos. So to play kuni, you have to make ppl respect Kuni's options, if they know what she is capable of, the game becomes interesting.

Kunimitsu can perform oki setups out of knockdowns, she has vortexes that can continuely going as long as she makes you guess wrong, of course

You also listed the most useless moves that you can't cleary use most of the time, or you won't even use it like her reversal, her standing 3, and her DB3, B1.

The SET (F3) Stance can be canceled at any point of raw startup, which alone as ppl are well aware of the downsides of commitment from it, definitely start to do shits once they see her flicking, and she can cancel the SETsunagakure into URAkin, Crouch, DOTon, or any other move of her command list that comes out on standing, Ws sidestepping.

Df3,2 is a tool ONLY to counter, that move can't be used randomly, unless of course someone doesn't know the machthup, but the main purpose of that string is to counter to get a full combo, once the 1st hits connects on counter the other is guaranteed too.

F3+4 is her anti-Sidestep move that grants her a full combo on counter, tho the move hits high, you won't be sidesteping frequently, as it seems this is everyone's way in.
her Crouch is also a threat, tho she can use low or Overhead from it, cancel into URA, SET, or simply back dash, or use other attacks from Ws or Standing.
DF4 is not a close range tool... but is still a poking tool, the range is huge and most ppl can get close on time.

I dunno who you've been playing man, but i do feel good playing her after i overcome most of her dificulties, sure i got bodied a lot in the past, i still do sometimes, but not like they way you sounded to be, well, but my Tag with jin and Kuni solve most of my problems, so i'm good.

Most ppl over the internet can't even use her properly from what i saw a few times back, i though that from the time being a good amount of ppl would play her by now, it seems i'm wrong.

Anyway is good to discuss this with other ppl, i just hope sometime in the future i could improove even more since my stick is about to arrive and i hope to record some matches with her (offline)

Peace brother.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I play Heihachi/Kazuya and Bruce/Bryan, all absolute top tier :D except Bryan who is upper mid-mid I think. Most of his basic mid poke tools have no tracking what so ever so he has to be played cautiously at 0 range, but other than that Bryan is really fkn good. I have been messing around with Armor King and Jin lately.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I play Heihachi/Kazuya and Bruce/Bryan, all absolute top tier :D except Bryan who is upper mid-mid I think. Most of his basic mid poke tools have no tracking what so ever so he has to be played cautiously at 0 range, but other than that Bryan is really fkn good. I have been messing around with Armor King and Jin lately.
Mid tiers are the best, My Jin is a beast.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
http://www.twitch.tv/ptprautanyrkki/c/3649503

Here is the recorded stream from the Finnish international tourney this weekend. They had some technical issues so the footage starts when the tourney was already over halfway through. I really had no excuse for not going, other than the fact that I am a cheap bastard who doesn't want to pay 90-130 € for staying at a hotel just to play a video game :D.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Mid tiers are the best, My Jin is a beast.
Low tiers are better. King for the win.

Giant Swings, Shining Wizards, Kinniku Busters, Rolling Death Cradles, and Tombstones all day. I just don't think I'll ever be able to properly move with King though. His forward dash mechanics are beyond retarded. But I also have crappy execution, so whatever.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Low tiers are better. King for the win.

Giant Swings, Shining Wizards, Kinniku Busters, Rolling Death Cradles, and Tombstones all day. I just don't think I'll ever be able to properly move with King though. His forward dash mechanics are beyond retarded. But I also have crappy execution, so whatever.
You don't need to wavedash with King.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Just got the game a couple of weeks ago, been playing it since Tekken 1 came out in the 90's on the arcades. Damn its little more technical to learn than SF, MK, and KOF.

Just got the game a couple of weeks ago, been playing it since Tekken 1 came out in the 90's on the arcades. Damn its little more technical to learn than SF, MK, and KOF.
Yeah, Tekken has continually built it's engine for years, which has created a huge legacy curve (in fact it's the game archilies heel when it comes to new comers). It's tough, and I still play when I get the chance.