What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

I know I'm at the scrubbiest of scrubby level and likely just don't understand the power level of the game, but Jun seems.. autopilot stupid? She's my first character to pick up and even the most basic of combos do insane damage on top of having three stances she can cancel into off multiple key strings with lots of shenanigans in each stance. Already can see some annoying mindgames off 122 into Izumo stance and b21 into either Genjitsu or Miare (which can also be canceled into Genjitsu) stances with b214 being a way to blow up anyone trying to call out a stance cancel.

Sure she has to sacrifice health on her magic attacks, but the payout is insane on those hits and those moves also force chip damage on block so it's still relatively even. She's also got a fucking laser beam out of her Miare magic stance that activates Heat on hit, does chip damage on block, and has some unacceptably high range for being just a 16f startup.

I'm sure this all means little to nothing at my play level, but it's definitely exciting to watch health bars explode off everything. We'll see how it shakes out once things like sidestepping become part of gameplay between myself and friends or online opponents.
most characters seem ridiculous though. the low lauchers some have... damn.

They definitely need to work on the customisation. Way too many clasic items and outfits are missing, there's no reason why the main outfits need to all come in one piece and you can't even change stuff like gloves or shoes on them, there should be more accessories and you should be able to change the colour of makeup and have more eye colours.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
They definitely need to work on the customisation. Way too many clasic items and outfits are missing, there's no reason why the main outfits need to all come in one piece and you can't even change stuff like gloves or shoes on them, there should be more accessories and you should be able to change the colour of makeup and have more eye colours.
One thing I noticed yesterday when trying to make Jack-5 was that you CANNOT remove the glowing green lines on his neck and head. I can do it on his body and make them flesh coloured/near black (which basically almost hides them). But now I'm left with this half glowing mess.

Stuff like that - and the gloves etc like you say - really baffle me. Oh, and me applying some tan to Jack disables his T7 outfit and reverts it to his T8.....

Immortal

Blind justice....
While i couldn't care less about the customization i do think Tekken for the most part does it very well.

Welp, another week and im still playing Dragunov he is so damn fun to play(and good imo). I still didn't even touch Zafina or Jun althou i really want to....but Dragunov.... :)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Thinking out loud on which characters could be top tier...

Azucena
  • WR+3,2 is an oppressive while running move that is difficult to side step. I believe that you have to micro side step the first hit to the left and then crouch and whiff punish the second hit.
  • She has a stance, Libertador, entered manually by pressing f+3+4, that automatically parries every move, including throws, but loses to mid attacks. As you are forced to use mid attacks, which are almost always slower than high attacks in Tekken, she either counters you or takes advantage of your hesitation to start her offense. She has a safe mid attack that is also a heat engager as well as un-reactable sweep from Libertador.
Devil Jin
  • EWGF are better in this game because magic 4s no longer lead to full combos.
  • Similarly to Kazuya, f,f+2 is a heat engager that chips and is difficult to side step.
  • He is highly oppressive in heat. f,N,d,d/f+1+2 becomes a mid, homing, advantageous (+2) launcher if you tap 1+2 afterwards. Heat smash seems to track to both sides and evade low attacks. Heat smash is also +11 on block and automatically transitions into Mourning Crow, the new stance, after which you can tap 1 to be +8 on block.
Dragunov
  • He has gained two new low attacks, d/b+3+4 and FC d/f+1,4, both of which are +7 on hit and lead to pressure.
  • QCF+4 is a heat engager, mid attack, and +7 on block. You are left in crouch on block so you can threaten FC d/f+1,4.
  • u/f+4 has essentially become an orbital. Doing a deep forward dash into b+4,3, b+1,2 leads to a full combo.
Jack 8
  • He plays exactly like Jack 7, but he does a lot more damage. At the wall, b+1,2 guarantees a grounded hit that only scales at 80%. If you execute the just frame version of HCF,d/f+1, you deal a ton of damage. Do not get launched near walls!
Azucena is auto pilot, turn of your brain, do wr32, unduckable, then df24 and it's also unduckable -7 lmao.

The one character not on your list is Jun, she is just wild, recovers health from landing a heat engager into heat smash
And devil Jin having damage at tip range hellsweep on top of having a flying heat engager it's crazy.

Then we can talk about victor and jack 8

LEGEND

YES!
I think this is the first time in my history playing fighting games where the first character I pick up fits perfectly and is actually sleeper top tier.

Leo is so much fun.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
My favorite thing about Jun so far is her set-up combo into guaranteed relaunch if the opponent doesn't stay grounded, and even then, it's still an unavoidable 12%. Seriously, the whole thing does 120-130 damage if you don't know how to avoid it. I've been committing some absolute robbery these past few days lol.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I know I'm at the scrubbiest of scrubby level and likely just don't understand the power level of the game, but Jun seems.. autopilot stupid?
Knee tweeted that Jun is broken. LOL. Here is the article on Eventhubs.

Top players like Arslan Ash and AO have also been using her.

Then we can talk about victor...
What do you think makes Victor strong?

As a former Noctis and Kunimitsu player, he is the character whom I would like to learn next.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Knee tweeted that Jun is broken. LOL. Here is the article on Eventhubs.

Top players like Arslan Ash and AO have also been using her.

What do you think makes Victor strong?

As a former Noctis and Kunimitsu player, he is the character whom I would like to learn next.
Victor has lows that can't be parried since he has blades on his both hands
has range, not only in sword, but his arms feels like legs of some characters, he has a gun with infinite bullets,can zone, and play footsies with his long reach.
can stagger with his normals, and some of them when you respect he can enter perfuming stance and mix with either low or mid lmao
his regular throw breaking window its 14 frame, the entire cast has 20f break window

victor it's insane

I haven't had the time to properly lab the 3 new comers, but I can say they are all equally obnoxious to fight against. If we were gonna have a character teleporting around, zoning us and evading everything we should have gotten Kunimitsu instead of Victor.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I haven't had the time to properly lab the 3 new comers, but I can say they are all equally obnoxious to fight against. If we were gonna have a character teleporting around, zoning us and evading everything we should have gotten Kunimitsu instead of Victor.
I'm yet to come against a competent Victor personally (though I know that they're out there). Was hilarious bodying a Victor spam twat in Ranked yesterday. Dude lost his shit two rounds in when his spamming wasn't working and switched to special style, which didn't help him either.

most consistent chdf2 pewgf combo so far
nice on man,the pewgf is so difficult to do.
Have you found any new max damage of his electric combo in open space?

i have been experimenting with the double cancle combos and got 77 damage(though there is a high chance that you knock them into a wall and then its 78)

Ewgf,Ewgf,31cancle31cancle DF12 b221+2

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
I was already okay with Jun losing her wall combo damage, but I'm 80% sure I found something that can replace it. It just turns the extra damage into a guess between Izu 41 or Izu 2 instead of guaranteed 1+2.

Last edited:

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
nice on man,the pewgf is so difficult to do.
Have you found any new max damage of his electric combo in open space?

i have been experimenting with the double cancle combos and got 77 damage(though there is a high chance that you knock them into a wall and then its 78)

Ewgf,Ewgf,31cancle31cancle DF12 b221+2
I've been sticking with ewgf,ewgf,df3 2 charge1,dash 31 cancel cd3. It's 71 damage but is very consistent even if off axis. Good wall carry as well. Everything else seem to wiff when off axis.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I hit the full Screwdriver, Muscle Buster, and Rolling Death Cradle combos with King in a single match online...and got hatemail after the match ended. I can retire from Tekken 8 happy now.