What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Ok so just hit the red ranks.
At this stage it is a very rush down game and heat is super strong.
Can't wait for the meta to settle.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Thinking out loud on which characters could be top tier...

Azucena
  • WR+3,2 is an oppressive while running move that is difficult to side step. I believe that you have to micro side step the first hit to the left and then crouch and whiff punish the second hit.
  • She has a stance, Libertador, entered manually by pressing f+3+4, that automatically parries every move, including throws, but loses to mid attacks. As you are forced to use mid attacks, which are almost always slower than high attacks in Tekken, she either counters you or takes advantage of your hesitation to start her offense. She has a safe mid attack that is also a heat engager as well as un-reactable sweep from Libertador.
Devil Jin
  • EWGF are better in this game because magic 4s no longer lead to full combos.
  • Similarly to Kazuya, f,f+2 is a heat engager that chips and is difficult to side step.
  • He is highly oppressive in heat. f,N,d,d/f+1+2 becomes a mid, homing, advantageous (+2) launcher if you tap 1+2 afterwards. Heat smash seems to track to both sides and evade low attacks. Heat smash is also +11 on block and automatically transitions into Mourning Crow, the new stance, after which you can tap 1 to be +8 on block.
Dragunov
  • He has gained two new low attacks, d/b+3+4 and FC d/f+1,4, both of which are +7 on hit and lead to pressure.
  • QCF+4 is a heat engager, mid attack, and +7 on block. You are left in crouch on block so you can threaten FC d/f+1,4.
  • u/f+4 has essentially become an orbital. Doing a deep forward dash into b+4,3, b+1,2 leads to a full combo.
Jack 8
  • He plays exactly like Jack 7, but he does a lot more damage. At the wall, b+1,2 guarantees a grounded hit that only scales at 80%. If you execute the just frame version of HCF,d/f+1, you deal a ton of damage. Do not get launched near walls!

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I feel like I'm never getting good connections when I'm in a lobby, and they tend to be mostly OK from the main menu.
Is that a thing?

molambo

(X ౪ X )
tried quickmatch to get some long sets going but nope..for whatever reason they changed it to best of 3 without any option to continue to play the opponent. i dont understand fighting game devs. they invest so much time with theire games and when it comes to actuall users and how they play the game they screw such basic things up.

I feel like I'm never getting good connections when I'm in a lobby, and they tend to be mostly OK from the main menu.
Is that a thing?
maybe you picked the wrong lobby/region since i think its trying to pair you with people who are in it too.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Alisa tips please

I poke with B1 I think it is, leaves you riding, I make good use of a lot of her random moves.

What are good pokes with her? What is a good way to get into destruction stance? What to do if opponent is on ground?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
tried quickmatch to get some long sets going but nope..for whatever reason they changed it to best of 3 without any option to continue to play the opponent. i dont understand fighting game devs. they invest so much time with theire games and when it comes to actuall users and how they play the game they screw such basic things up.

maybe you picked the wrong lobby/region since i think its trying to pair you with people who are in it too.
I literally couldn't be more America 1, and it's using what it's recommending

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I will say this about Tekken 8. I do so far enjoy the story mode of MK1 better. I guess the characters from it are just more household names. But to be fair MK has had more experience with those modes. The Tekken just seems so far like a generic tournament from all over the world where everyone speaks their native language but yet they all understand and respond. Not saying it is bad just a bit cliche. I do appreciate the flashbacks from previous games I didn't play. I do think if MK1 can somehow take this concept of customizing outfits and colors and just going bananas on Kameos, connection, and cross play and more single player options it will rise. They have to act fast/soon tho. Also, back to Tekken...I hope Kunimitsu and Devil/Angel are coming. wasn't Kunimitsu/Yoshimitsu both in Sould Calibur games too?

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I caved and bought Tekken 8. and i literally played it all afternoon and barely scratched the surface. I'm now one of those people. It is amazing!!!
About to be in the same boat. Just nabbed it and plan to play a ton this weekend. Haven't played a 3D fighter since the Xbox 360 days; and even then, I barely bothered. This is going to be an... interesting experience.

I will say this about Tekken 8. I do so far enjoy the story mode of MK1 better. I guess the characters from it are just more household names. But to be fair MK has had more experience with those modes. The Tekken just seems so far like a generic tournament from all over the world where everyone speaks their native language but yet they all understand and respond. Not saying it is bad just a bit cliche. I do appreciate the flashbacks from previous games I didn't play. I do think if MK1 can somehow take this concept of customizing outfits and colors and just going bananas on Kameos, connection, and cross play and more single player options it will rise. They have to act fast/soon tho. Also, back to Tekken...I hope Kunimitsu and Devil/Angel are coming. wasn't Kunimitsu/Yoshimitsu both in Sould Calibur games too?
yoshimitsu weirdly has 2 home games, hes a staple in Tekken AND Soul Calibur. kunimitsu i dont know.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Yall are letting this game get off too easy that modern controls thing is ass
It’s easy as fuck to defend against, if that’s your issue.

It allows ultra casuals to do something that looks cool, but has no actual depth. They miss out on a lot of important moves and tools.

And Tekken has super easy inputs imo, so anybody more than a hyper casual shouldn’t really be using it online.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It’s easy as fuck to defend against, if that’s your issue.

It allows ultra casuals to do something that looks cool, but has no actual depth. They miss out on a lot of important moves and tools.

And Tekken has super easy inputs imo, so anybody more than a hyper casual shouldn’t really be using it online.
It's ass and unfun to play against, that's my issue. I play the game more casually and every other match goes from being a blast playing against similar skilled players to party game shit. It's an uncompelling auto-combo mechanic

ItsYaBoi

Noob
It's ass and unfun to play against, that's my issue. I play the game more casually and every other match goes from being a blast playing against similar skilled players to party game shit. It's an uncompelling auto-combo mechanic
Not even trolling you, but again, it really isn't hard to defend against, and people who tend to heavily rely on it have such glaring weaknesses.

I've been playing this game slightly above casual, trying to get more serious at it as each day goes by. And apart from one loss at the start when I didn't know how to play against it, I haven't lost against a Special Style user since. Key is to just punish. Most of them don't know how to counter grabs either, nor do they know how to properly defend lows. If they're just being aggro, power crushes tend to sort them out followed up by super basic combos.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I keep hearing about people getting tired of running into it, but I legit have only seen someone use it once, and maybe one or two others toggle it on randomly at the end and I'm not even sure if it was intentional.

Doesn't seem that useful so I'm not particularly concerned about it

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I keep hearing about people getting tired of running into it, but I legit have only seen someone use it once, and maybe one or two others toggle it on randomly at the end and I'm not even sure if it was intentional.

Doesn't seem that useful so I'm not particularly concerned about it
Not gonna lie I was salty as fuck when I lost to it and went on Discord saying it shouldn't be allowed in ranked loool. But I watched the replay and realised I just lost my head out of anger. Learned a lot from just watching that on how I can easily counter what they're trying

I genuinely don't know who they designed Stylish mode for; it feels horrible and nonsensical to use. I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner, or basically anyone.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I genuinely don't know who they designed Stylish mode for; it feels horrible and nonsensical to use. I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner, or basically anyone.
There's a claim to be made that it's an accessibility option for people with various conditions/disabilities etc too. Allowing simple button presses to do flashy stuff.

If I was an actual beginner though who didn't have the above, I'd rather just button mash everything on my controller. Ends up looking cool anyway and you feel like you're doing more (pretty much what I did as a kid playing Tekken anyways)

I hear you, my point is I just think it's really really badly designed for a player aid tool. I press the button labeled Throws/Lows and I got a mid launcher, wtf? I press it again and then maybe I get a throw or a low? Okay. The contextual rules are not intuitive at all and then it does things like that.
SF6's Modern controls at least makes sense.

Game's awesome but there's a few weird misses like this here and there, like no benchmark test for playing online for PC.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
There's a claim to be made that it's an accessibility option for people with various conditions/disabilities etc too. Allowing simple button presses to do flashy stuff.

If I was an actual beginner though who didn't have the above, I'd rather just button mash everything on my controller. Ends up looking cool anyway and you feel like you're doing more (pretty much what I did as a kid playing Tekken anyways)
I remember thinking I was ok at T3 after having played it really hard by myself against the CPU. Then a while later I got blown up by some guy that literally didn't know fighting games existed and picked Eddy pressing whatever. I think I'm still annoyed and definitely still don't know what that helicopter does.

I was hoping he would get left out for awhile, but no. Had to be DLC #1

Anyway, mashing is scary AF in this

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I know I'm at the scrubbiest of scrubby level and likely just don't understand the power level of the game, but Jun seems.. autopilot stupid? She's my first character to pick up and even the most basic of combos do insane damage on top of having three stances she can cancel into off multiple key strings with lots of shenanigans in each stance. Already can see some annoying mindgames off 122 into Izumo stance and b21 into either Genjitsu or Miare (which can also be canceled into Genjitsu) stances with b214 being a way to blow up anyone trying to call out a stance cancel.

Sure she has to sacrifice health on her magic attacks, but the payout is insane on those hits and those moves also force chip damage on block so it's still relatively even. She's also got a fucking laser beam out of her Miare magic stance that activates Heat on hit, does chip damage on block, and has some unacceptably high range for being just a 16f startup.

I'm sure this all means little to nothing at my play level, but it's definitely exciting to watch health bars explode off everything. We'll see how it shakes out once things like sidestepping become part of gameplay between myself and friends or online opponents.