What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I really wonder what they were thinking when they designed the online mode. if i'm not overlooking anything, then:
  1. you can not play quick matches for longer than FT2
  2. you can not challenge specific people from the lounge. you must befriend them there, then go back to the main menu and set up a private lobby with the right settings. you can also not directly invite people from your friend list, you must set up that private lobby first.
  3. on top of that, you dont get notifications for friend requests in the lounge (aside from a tiny symbol change above the requesting avatars head that no one will pay attention to) but gotta check them once in a while.
in short: this is ridiculous. i cant imagine why a game designer would do it like that.
Number 2 particularly bothers me. I ran up to people expecting to just be able to challenge them in the plethora of options that comes up, but no. I hope this gets patched in, as it's a pretty big omission.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Number 2 particularly bothers me. I ran up to people expecting to just be able to challenge them in the plethora of options that comes up, but no. I hope this gets patched in, as it's a pretty big omission.
Technically you can play specific people if that is unclear.

You have to use the "Group Battle" stations. The purple rings on the floor are indicating the machines that are in the group. There are two bigger groups and a bunch of 1v1 groups in the flower peddle formation around the big center group.

It's not the most obvious, and you are still forced to go through the flow of getting into a training session to get matched with the other player which will have to meet whatever connection quality test it runs. Is it the best way to play a specific person? No, but it's not hard.

I mostly like the lobby, but my main issue is quickly becoming how often you have to pick a side, pick a character, pick a cpu character, pick a stage to get into a training session that will then let you start matching. Can we get a preset on the side selection screen that lets you pick all of that with one button press since a lot of times you are just going to be picking the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over

LEGEND

YES!
I honestly can't believe there isn't an option to disable the customization from opponents.

Online feels good. The few matches I played were 20 ping and felt flawless.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Technically you can play specific people if that is unclear.

You have to use the "Group Battle" stations. The purple rings on the floor are indicating the machines that are in the group. There are two bigger groups and a bunch of 1v1 groups in the flower peddle formation around the big center group.

It's not the most obvious, and you are still forced to go through the flow of getting into a training session to get matched with the other player which will have to meet whatever connection quality test it runs. Is it the best way to play a specific person? No, but it's not hard.

I mostly like the lobby, but my main issue is quickly becoming how often you have to pick a side, pick a character, pick a cpu character, pick a stage to get into a training session that will then let you start matching. Can we get a preset on the side selection screen that lets you pick all of that with one button press since a lot of times you are just going to be picking the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over
A bit convoluted, but cheers. I do hope they just add it that you can press X and challenge somebody though lol.

Also that's a good idea. A custom 'loadout' so to speak, so choose your side, main and training stage and have it always be that unless you go back into the pause menu to change it.

I honestly can't believe there isn't an option to disable the customization from opponents.

Kind of eh on this. Customisation is a huge part of Tekken, and half the joy for people is showing off their outfit to somebody else. I don't think they will ever add this option.

Some are outright abominations, but I've come across a few cool, clever or funny ones and tbh it helps set the game apart from others.

There still seems to be missing a lot of customisation stuff. I am still waiting for Paul's T4 outfit 1.

I really wonder what they were thinking when they designed the online mode. if i'm not overlooking anything, then:
  1. you can not play quick matches for longer than FT2
  2. you can not challenge specific people from the lounge. you must befriend them there, then go back to the main menu and set up a private lobby with the right settings. you can also not directly invite people from your friend list, you must set up that private lobby first.
  3. on top of that, you dont get notifications for friend requests in the lounge (aside from a tiny symbol change above the requesting avatars head that no one will pay attention to) but gotta check them once in a while.
in short: this is ridiculous. i cant imagine why a game designer would do it like that.
For the first point, I can only assume its was to deal with rank boosters etc because of T7. I dont know why they didnt keep the rematch options for quick matches because you can do it in the private lobby.

As someone who's bounced off tekken a few time, i have to say I like seeing the Jin's ff+4 CH is easier to combo off of, and normal scrub backdashing isn't awful. I might try again (last attempt was DR).

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Alright, my next guide it's going to be my main, Jin, video will be up in about 1 hour and 30 minutes or so, just check the link below later on. After Jin i'm thinking about Paul or Kazuya, and maybe victor, if you guys have suggestions down the line, i can prioritize, can give you a fresh perspective on the character you're playing.

I'm heading to bed now, been editing this since 6AM and only recently finished, but any question please do, i'm willing to answer.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
A bit convoluted, but cheers. I do hope they just add it that you can press X and challenge somebody though lol.

Also that's a good idea. A custom 'loadout' so to speak, so choose your side, main and training stage and have it always be that unless you go back into the pause menu to change it.

Kind of eh on this. Customisation is a huge part of Tekken, and half the joy for people is showing off their outfit to somebody else. I don't think they will ever add this option.

Some are outright abominations, but I've come across a few cool, clever or funny ones and tbh it helps set the game apart from others.
Yes an "I challenge thee" menu option seems sensible.

The group stuff I was careful about confirming it worked the way I thought it did. I basically had to go look at everyone in the rings, see who I matched with to confirm they were in that subgroup. Then try to match on an empty [1v1] station when others had players and hope I never had someone sit down while I was stuck in training, THEN run over to populated groups and confirm I could get a match and it was with the people in that ring. Then do it several times just to make sure. I didn't seem to get clarity on how it actually worked from the game itself but wanted to know for sure because it's kind of important to know if you wanted to play with specific people.

It's kind of a cool feature to group them like that

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder

What's more wild is it seems they still impact gameplay.
So it's not like you can hide their costume picks so they see it and you don't, because some Leroy might just like shooting shotguns off mid match and now you can't have input parity for online play, and replays

Kal

<3
It's rough out here, can't pick one character to stick to if my life depended on it. Keep going back and forth between Jun, Azucena, and Reina.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
It's rough out here, can't pick one character to stick to if my life depended on it. Keep going back and forth between Jun, Azucena, and Reina.
Yeah, you absolutely don't wanna spread yourself too thin, in Tekken of all things.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Dragunov is great i can't stop playing him and here i thought that i would be on Jun or Zafina already but nope, maybe next week. ;)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
According to Eventhubs, Tekken 8 is crushing the competition on Steam.

According to another article, "Tekken 8 more than doubles Street Fighter 6's sales in the UK".

I wonder whether the game can match Mortal Kombat 1's sales.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
According to Eventhubs, Tekken 8 is crushing the competition on Steam.

According to another article, "Tekken 8 more than doubles Street Fighter 6's sales in the UK".

I wonder whether the game can match Mortal Kombat 1's sales.
Tekken 5 and 7 both sold 10 million apiece, and were the only more recent fighting games to approach NRS game sales (12-15 mil). So it's definitely in the same ballpark.

Agilaz

It has begun
Not knocking the game when I say this, but I find it funny how MK is generally considered the scrubby game, and here comes Tekken 8 with one button, fully super armoured super moves than can be used EVERY ROUND lol

I have lost so many rounds to people just mashing Rage Art during gaps or whenever i go into stance

Not knocking the game when I say this, but I find it funny how MK is generally considered the scrubby game, and here comes Tekken 8 with one button, fully super armoured super moves than can be used EVERY ROUND lol

I have lost so many rounds to people just mashing Rage Art during gaps or whenever i go into stance
tekken 8 is 2/3 chess and 1/3 mk11, theres no denying it.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
most consistent combo that lands after pewgf.
need to hit the df3 fast. In open space can do the 31 cancel cd3 for 97 damage