What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
i dont know why but the game also lacks other QoL. in practice there is no move data in the menu, only on screen if you execute it. makes developing a char very tedious.
Well what makes a move good seems pretty complicated. Frames are important, but there are a lot of other factors involved. I just spent a day going through my move list trying to reason about if a move would be useful or not, and for what reason, and against what level of play. It feels a lot less straight forward than in most games. I'm not sure how you compress all of that in a digestible way. It's probably better going the tedious route. I'm sure the basic frames and hit properties will land on a site pretty quick, so that kind of reference should still be available

Well what makes a move good seems pretty complicated. Frames are important, but there are a lot of other factors involved. I just spent a day going through my move list trying to reason about if a move would be useful or not, and for what reason, and against what level of play. It feels a lot less straight forward than in most games. I'm not sure how you compress all of that in a digestible way. It's probably better going the tedious route. I'm sure the basic frames and hit properties will land on a site pretty quick, so that kind of reference should still be available
yes its like you have to complete some circles to even understand what to do. all the moves are dependant on another and cant be viewed alone.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Is there some conversational explanation that has been had over why there is not a "punish" indicator?

There was one in T7 but only in training so I assumed there was some deliberate reason it wasn't in actual matches. The timing on punishes can tight and as a spectator it's not really something you can be expected to know. Even if you know the punish for something, and they get hit, do you or those watching REALLY know if they got hit because you got the punish or they just got hit? You can't reinforce correct timing through actual play, and in a game with this much going on, it seems perfectly reasonable to let players discover and reinforce punish options.

It's such a simple, practical, and powerful QoL feature that has existed in the game at some point, I'd like to know why it's not there, or if there is some other way you are supposed to "know" this information. If the reason is they(Devs, or playerbase) just want you to know your shit, that seems unnecessary.
there is, you have to turn on, player details, there is an indicator bellow that shines when it meets the condition, they can be either, counter hits, punish, wallsplats and more, all in golden

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
This needs to be pretty well advertised. I see a lot of streamer and chat people blaming someone's connection when this thing is flashing red all the time. It's not a fun time when someone is dropping frames

This needs to be pretty well advertised. I see a lot of streamer and chat people blaming someone's connection when this thing is flashing red all the time. It's not a fun time when someone is dropping frames

View attachment 21339
Imo, this needs to show before every online match or the person who is unstable should have their whole scree flash red or something. Too many people trying to call out others for instability when its themselves messing up lol.

EDIT: Spelling

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Imo, this needs to show before every online match or the person who is unstable should have their whole scree flash red or something. Too many people trying to call out others for instability when its themselves messing up lol.

EDIT: Spelling
So easy for people to just get angry being told it's their end.
Maybe it would be good if there was a screen that gave you a "Connection Health Report" that was just stats on your matches. Like in the last 50 matches what was your average "Instability rating" and how many frames you personally dropped (PC). Then "Recommend improvement ideas"

"Looks like your connection might have hire than average instability. Talk to your ISP about improving your signal strength, or buy a LAN cable"
"Looks like your system is struggling to run the game consistently. Try not running the game on Ultra. We know it looks nice, but..."

So far I've only run into one person that had a big issue with it. I'm just getting started, so I'm sure I'll meet many more

Kal

<3
As if SF6, and Granblue Versus didn't embarrass MK1 enough, here came Tekken 8 and just took a massive shit all over MK1 too.

So easy for people to just get angry being told it's their end.
Maybe it would be good if there was a screen that gave you a "Connection Health Report" that was just stats on your matches. Like in the last 50 matches what was your average "Instability rating" and how many frames you personally dropped (PC). Then "Recommend improvement ideas"

"Looks like your connection might have hire than average instability. Talk to your ISP about improving your signal strength, or buy a LAN cable"
"Looks like your system is struggling to run the game consistently. Try not running the game on Ultra. We know it looks nice, but..."

So far I've only run into one person that had a big issue with it. I'm just getting started, so I'm sure I'll meet many more
Exactly. for me personally my net get stupid once or twice a month so when that happens, I dont play any fighting games online. I would love it if there was a performance or instability test built into the game so you can test it out for yourself. Make the game force the test on you before playing online.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Exactly. for me personally my net get stupid once or twice a month so when that happens, I dont play any fighting games online. I would love it if there was a performance or instability test built into the game so you can test it out for yourself. Make the game force the test on you before playing online.
One thing SF6 had me thinking of was to create machine clusters that you needed to go the extra mile to play on. They have random groups like the upstairs ones that would work pretty good as some other kind of machine, so maybe you have to be wired to play on them at all. It doesn't changed the ranked situation, or the battle hub at large, just gives a few machines where you have a better chance of getting good connections. If someone is feeling like they are missing out not being able to play on the "Fancy" cabs, then they can do the work to get into the VIP section and wire up.

People would still find a way to feel a way about it, but it's promoting the ideal via FOMO rather than finger pointing and name calling.

You could go as far as to have some sort of line test pass you get going to a station. Or it could track your recent games and if you are consistently unstable or dropping frames, then you have to figure it out and play a number of games without those problems to get the pass or ticket, or whatever. That's tricky though, you could play a mess of bad connections and it not be you. It's kind of like the problem with blaming someone that disconnects all the time. You could be a RQ king, or you could be a top player that gets RQ on all the time (which KI apparently learned the hard way is a thing)

In Tekken you could do it in the groups cabs. There is a circle group with all the 1on1 stations, but you could make the 4x2 group of cabs wired only.

The Internet is a plate of spaghetti we are all playing through. Sometimes good connections are just hard, and it's just how it goes.

One thing SF6 had me thinking of was to create machine clusters that you needed to go the extra mile to play on. They have random groups like the upstairs ones that would work pretty good as some other kind of machine, so maybe you have to be wired to play on them at all. It doesn't changed the ranked situation, or the battle hub at large, just gives a few machines where you have a better chance of getting good connections. If someone is feeling like they are missing out not being able to play on the "Fancy" cabs, then they can do the work to get into the VIP section and wire up.

People would still find a way to feel a way about it, but it's promoting the ideal via FOMO rather than finger pointing and name calling.

You could go as far as to have some sort of line test pass you get going to a station. Or it could track your recent games and if you are consistently unstable or dropping frames, then you have to figure it out and play a number of games without those problems to get the pass or ticket, or whatever. That's tricky though, you could play a mess of bad connections and it not be you. It's kind of like the problem with blaming someone that disconnects all the time. You could be a RQ king, or you could be a top player that gets RQ on all the time (which KI apparently learned the hard way is a thing)

In Tekken you could do it in the groups cabs. There is a circle group with all the 1on1 stations, but you could make the 4x2 group of cabs wired only.

The Internet is a plate of spaghetti we are all playing through. Sometimes good connections are just hard, and it's just how it goes.
Yeah that sounds better than forcing it on people. Like a guiding hand into making your connection better improving your online playing conditions for all.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I ran around playing peoples' ghosts for awhile. All the ones I tried seemed pretty easy, but it will be interesting to see how they behave with more playtime and for better players. It's pretty cool if you don't want to play people and are mostly a SP player. It does change the personality of the character a lot, so even if they are never quite human, they can still give you way more experiences than a traditional 1 expression to 1 character AI ever could.

I do wonder if pro's would have to keep their name on rotation or risk getting mobbed by players trying to initiate ghost battles with them constantly

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
It might just be me, but I hate how the game has been dumbed down with the heat stuff. You can easily juggle with the toughest combos by mashing triangle, parry through most moves with little thought, etc.

I wish the game would give me the option to stop showing me when the opponent is mashing that new beginner control style or whatever that thing is called, I dont care if people want to use it but I dont need to see it flashing on my screen.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I wish the game would give me the option to stop showing me when the opponent is mashing that new beginner control style or whatever that thing is called, I dont care if people want to use it but I dont need to see it flashing on my screen.
Agree, it should be an option.

But it is funny when I - a Tekken casual since Tekken 3, never taken it seriously online - am bodying somebody, and then they resort to putting the Special Style on in a last ditch attempt to beat me. I have no problem with people using it, but that scenario does make me laugh :DOGE

Reactions: MKB
Agree, it should be an option.

But it is funny when I - a Tekken casual since Tekken 3, never taken it seriously online - am bodying somebody, and then they resort to putting the Special Style on in a last ditch attempt to beat me. I have no problem with people using it, but that scenario does make me laugh :DOGE
"Oh ish. this is too much, need to mash rage art/power crush"

Dude the customisation is wild in tekken 8 lol victor as stryker looks crazy,raven as scorpion too,seen so many creative stuff.

I really wonder what they were thinking when they designed the online mode. if i'm not overlooking anything, then:
  1. you can not play quick matches for longer than FT2
  2. you can not challenge specific people from the lounge. you must befriend them there, then go back to the main menu and set up a private lobby with the right settings. you can also not directly invite people from your friend list, you must set up that private lobby first.
  3. on top of that, you dont get notifications for friend requests in the lounge (aside from a tiny symbol change above the requesting avatars head that no one will pay attention to) but gotta check them once in a while.
in short: this is ridiculous. i cant imagine why a game designer would do it like that.

Just bought Tekken 8 this morning from Steam before leaving to work. Can't wait to get back home and destroy my brains with the learning curve. My last Tekken was Tekken 2 in 1996 :D I've been playing NRS games since MKX but I dropped MK 1 after few months, it just sucks so much balls.