Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Wait and try to time it

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Spam directional inputs

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
Tech roll is an extremely underrated and underused tool but it can really make your defense be that much better. I'm going to admit it now, I suck at consistently tech rolling when I want to. I've tried multiple techniques and everytime I always end up getting something wrong. with each technique it's usually either one of two things that goes wrong

1. I mysteriously don't get the tech roll. No matter how hard I try or how much I spam sometimes I'll just get really unlucky and I'll just not get the tech roll which will most likely lead to me getting full comboed because the opponent gets away with whatever they were trying to do and it would be punished with a tech roll.

2. I'll almost always get the tech roll but at a cost, I will have a really hard time waking up with what I want. This either means a wake up, wake up buttons, wake up jump or just block. Usually this problem arises if I spam my movement inputs or a button like 1 and when I go for something those previous inputs will override and I won't get what I want.

The best way that I currently have is just to use the trait button when there is no trait available or use the interactable button when no interactable

Basically what I'm trying to get at here is do any of you have any tips on how to safely and effectively get tech roll whenever you want to do it?

Last edited:

Th4tDrewDude

Obscure AF Joker Player
Tech roll is an extremely underrated and underused tool but it can really make your defense be that much better. I'm going to admit it now, I suck at consistently tech rolling when I want to. I've tried multiple techniques and everytime I always end up getting something wrong. with each technique it's usually either one of two things that goes wrong

1. I mysteriously don't get the tech roll. No matter how hard I try or how much I spam sometimes I'll just get really unlucky and I'll just not get the tech roll which will most likely lead to me getting full comboed because the opponent gets away with whatever they were trying to do and it would be punished with a tech roll.

2. I'll almost always get the tech roll but at a cost, I will have a really hard time waking up with what I want. This either means a wake up, wake up buttons, wake up jump or just block. Usually this problem arises if I spam my movement inputs or a button like 1 and when I go for something those previous inputs will override and I won't get what I want.

The best way that I currently have is just to use the trait button when there is no trait available or use the interactable button when no interactable

Basically what I'm trying to get at here is do any of you have any tips on how to safely and effectively get tech roll whenever you want to do it?
I pretty much have the same problem lol

CountHyuga

Old man Hyuga.
Just to get a clarification on the basics... if you tech roll you can still do wake up attacks, right? Instead when you delay wakeup you cannot. Am I getting this?

SaucyD0ge

Worst european batman
Just to get a clarification on the basics... if you tech roll you can still do wake up attacks, right? Instead when you delay wakeup you cannot. Am I getting this?
Usually after most knockdown, people may try for gimmicky jump-in(cross-up attempts; unless it's a real hard knock-down, tech roll will counter their gimmicks.

In short, it is a universal semi-invincible wake-up backdash

CountHyuga

Old man Hyuga.
I get that. What I don't get it's with what I can get up with when I use different options. And I also had the first post issue but that was addressed just fine.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I personally use the throw button tech roll ever since they nerfed it so you can't use 3 to tech roll.
Yes you've got it. You can tech roll and still do a wakeup, but if you delay wakeup you can't do a wakeup attack.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
I personally use the throw button tech roll ever since they nerfed it so you can't use 3 to tech roll.

Yes you've got it. You can tech roll and still do a wakeup, but if you delay wakeup you can't do a wakeup attack.
You can still use 3 to tech roll apparently, I use that all the time. Also, was there any reason for them thinking it was a good idea to change that?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You can still use 3 to tech roll apparently, I use that all the time. Also, was there any reason for them thinking it was a good idea to change that?
Then I'm assuming you have Button Shortcuts off? 2 and 3 no longer trigger tech roll only if you have Button Shortcuts on. Not sure what the change was for, there's few situations where you wouldn't want to tech roll even unintentionally lol

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Then again, why you wouldn't tech roll? Aside for deciding to delay, obviously.
In some cases characters can perform a specific setup to counter a tech roll. No idea if they exist in I2 but iirc Cyrax has a few in MKX

Tech roll is nearly the exact same time as a fast delayed wakeup atleast on most knockdowns, only you get an invincible wakeup after it instead. plus you roll away. some knockdowns it speeds up your recovery, typically knockdowns that send you nearly fullscreen. its not always the best option even if theres no setup against it however its a very useful tool when its available that is if you can consistently get it.

Last edited: