What's new

Tech discussion: d4 xx Up Missile

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Yeah, I rarely if ever do it anyway. I just prefer to just keep people away from me and outzone them with Sektor with his missles, there is one trick I like doing it though sometimes after a teleport punch(normal one) he has time to do one, what it'll do is force them to roll back. If they do a wake up unless it's Raiden's superman, you'll still hit them if not trade hits at least. I do it here and there, if they block I'll rush down and throw them or simply jump in with a 50/50 high or his high to low juggler :)

If you know what I mean, I'm sure you do.

Yeah, I like doing HM. To be honestly naked UM I prefer to do the close one since it's kind of like a shield for Sektor to use, if they try to jump or rush in it will hit them, even if they're blocking, it gives Sektor a chance to rush in for another attack. We'd have to play, and I can show you my own style with him. Sometimes, people have a different style that seems odd to others, yet it's effective to the one using it.
Im confused what you're on about. Do you mean Um after a telepunch to pressure them on wakeup?

Sektor players have been using that for a very long time.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
We all know the negatives but what about the positives. up missle is like +40 on block you can do whatever you want. And if they jump and it hits you get a combo for 30ish. If they dash forwar and it hits you get 50%. If they stand block you can still dash in for pressure as if you just followed up the d4 withough up missle. If they dash back you got space for footsies.
When AC1984 comes over soon I'll make a video that illustrates why up missile is a bad idea outside ending your combo with an up missile trap.

And don't get me wrong, doing something that isn't safe every once in a while is fine - I think it's a good thing just to keep people in check. I've started to do f2-b1 until people block it. But you'll see how once a person is trained on how to react once they see an up missile; your day is over.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
When AC1984 comes over soon I'll make a video that illustrates why up missile is a bad idea outside ending your combo with an up missile trap.

And don't get me wrong, doing something that isn't safe every once in a while is fine - I think it's a good thing just to keep people in check. I've started to do f2-b1 until people block it. But you'll see how once a person is trained on how to react once they see an up missile; your day is over.
I've had people blow me up for it. But 9 out of 10 times it trades and I recover first to get a combo. Unless I'm fighting nw, raiden, reptile or the obvious fast advancing special characters. But if I do d4 ten times I might throw in the up missle once and it works because of the rarity.

PND_Ketchup

I've had people blow me up for it. But 9 out of 10 times it trades and I recover first to get a combo. Unless I'm fighting nw, raiden, reptile or the obvious fast advancing special characters. But if I do d4 ten times I might throw in the up missle once and it works because of the rarity.
it's not a NO NO NO NO sort of thing, like you said. they could always not expect it, but there's just better options to do in that situation :p

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
it's not a NO NO NO NO sort of thing, like you said. they could always not expect it, but there's just better options to do in that situation :p
It's part of my footsie game. I play defensive poke, poke, poke, up missle chaos everywhere, homing missles, flame throwers, reg missle, then I go for pressure when they think I will sit back. It's just part of training my opponent. I use it so I can open up other options and earn respect for d4

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Perhaps I'm not a fan due to these two reasons:

1) The people I play with I have told them everything there is to know about beating Sektor with any character. This makes me play a really limited game even against other people since I'm too scared to do a lot risky stuff; being that they are trained to punish me 100% of the time.

2) The amount of characters that can on reaction punish you for a close up missile is rather large. Scorpion, Liu, Kung, Sub, Ermac, Cage, Jade, NW, Smoke, Kenshi, Kabal, Sonya, Jax, Mileena, ect. Don't get me wrong, the list of people who can punish d4 into flame is other rather vast.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Im confused what you're on about. Do you mean Um after a telepunch to pressure them on wakeup?

Sektor players have been using that for a very long time.
Yeah, exactly. Sometimes I like doing the seeker too besides the UM. I'm sure the solid Sektor players or smart ones do that often, a lot of them online don't though or at least Sektors I encountered so far. They all seem to go for that B3, 4, teleport combo. The smartest Sektor players I've played so far out of all of them on xbox were Menzo's and xmygodsx. Do you play on xbox?

PND_Ketchup

Yeah, exactly. Sometimes I like doing the seeker too besides the UM. I'm sure the solid Sektor players or smart ones do that often, a lot of them online don't though or at least Sektors I encountered so far. They all seem to go for that B3, 4, teleport combo. The smartest Sektor players I've played so far out of all of them on xbox were Menzo's and xmygodsx. Do you play on xbox?
Yeah i do, but not very often. I dislike playing the game online unless i'm playing friends from the UK.

I think its can be good as a mix-up between D4 flamethrower since people have and will always have alot of respect for it so with then being scared it would be nice to sneak in D4 UM would create great opportunities.

When I think of it I think of it as a way to keep myself unpredictable as sektor because you never wanna be the same tune or you'll get old and exposed lol, so just to mix things up you should use this tool since it's not at all completely horrid as other strategies. So to keep yourself unpredictable you should use this as a tool. Besides if you use it as a 50/50 it's great cause if they even think about moving D4 flamethrower will win, if there scared D4 UM will come out and all you have to do after if they just is AA and punish them for what like 30%(Which is great so people will really have to respect your sektor!

Also I don't know but 21(Delayed 4) as a 50/50 can be great cause if you 21 back up B34 they'll get hit and eat 35% and if they don't respect 21 just end it with 4 and flames which I've been using alot lately. All for now!

I gotta get back online lol offline for 4 weeks now O.O

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
I think its can be good as a mix-up between D4 flamethrower since people have and will always have alot of respect for it so with then being scared it would be nice to sneak in D4 UM would create great opportunities.

When I think of it I think of it as a way to keep myself unpredictable as sektor because you never wanna be the same tune or you'll get old and exposed lol, so just to mix things up you should use this tool since it's not at all completely horrid as other strategies. So to keep yourself unpredictable you should use this as a tool. Besides if you use it as a 50/50 it's great cause if they even think about moving D4 flamethrower will win, if there scared D4 UM will come out and all you have to do after if they just is AA and punish them for what like 30%(Which is great so people will really have to respect your sektor!

Also I don't know but 21(Delayed 4) as a 50/50 can be great cause if you 21 back up B34 they'll get hit and eat 35% and if they don't respect 21 just end it with 4 and flames which I've been using alot lately. All for now!

I gotta get back online lol offline for 4 weeks now O.O
d4 flame is punishable by characters with advancing moves, and its in no way a 50/50 as you have MORE than enough time to see him go for a rocket instead. like you said, if used sparingly you might get away with it but using it as a staple in your game? i really dont know about that.

d4 flame is punishable by characters with advancing moves, and its in no way a 50/50 as you have MORE than enough time to see him go for a rocket instead. like you said, if used sparingly you might get away with it but using it as a staple in your game? i really dont know about that.
Guess I've been playing noobs :) Anyways good to know I'll just not use it vs Raiden and reptile, kabal IDK but yea

Also D4 is severly slow but if you say put the missile in front of yourself and then try to punish you will land an easy 47% 1 meter, this is the case for me alot!

PND_Ketchup

Guess I've been playing noobs :) Anyways good to know I'll just not use it vs Raiden and reptile, kabal IDK but yea
Not just special moves man, characters that have normals that move forward like cage or liu kang. With cage, not only would you be punished, but you'd get put in his frame traps.

Not just special moves man, characters that have normals that move forward like cage or liu kang. With cage, not only would you be punished, but you'd get put in his frame traps.
Gay!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have quit then, damnit I love my Ex tele into missile pressure tho :) I'll rely on that more. D4 UM(Is now a No No) But damn D4 flame looks soooo safe :( This is sad.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Tom...I understand that those characters can punish it but most cannot without trading with the up missle. On hit up missle is like + 60 or 70 so you still get a combo. I don't mind the trade of its in my favor. But if they can punish it while avoiding the missle...I wouldn't do it.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Tom...I understand that those characters can punish it but most cannot without trading with the up missle. On hit up missle is like + 60 or 70 so you still get a combo. I don't mind the trade of its in my favor. But if they can punish it while avoiding the missle...I wouldn't do it.
Exactly. It's probably around 70% of the cast that can avoid the missile and have time to punish you for it. That's why I don't bother on almost anyone.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yeah i do, but not very often. I dislike playing the game online unless i'm playing friends from the UK.
Oh, you're from the UK? So I take it you're UK's biggest Sektor user with that name huh? lol Yeah, I hear ya. lol I'm from the states, everytime I play someone from Europe the lag is ridiculous, there's this guy named KimiKing, from Spain always follows me in every room, he's not a bad player but just does shoulder rams with NW and the lag is annoying as hell, normally not hard to read but with massive lag lol you can imagine.

In regards to UM'ing in their face...I do it...like its my job. I do realize the oppurtunity to punish Sektor however I lead into situations like this with conditioning. I get them used to Sektor's "rushdown" via 1,2 & 2,1...after the second time I change it up and start completing my strings. 1,2,2 UM pushes them away and gives me oodles and noodles of options while the fabulous (yes I said it) delay of the kick in the 2,1,4 string sends them back to zoning range. I can't understate how effective this mind game is. Plus if your feeling ballsy (or have a breaker cushion) you can attempt 2,1,TP, b+21,b+34 exTP, b+21 for about 40%...as I said this works well against conditioned opponents. ALSO it is important to utilize the clUM to cover your ass against people with "lunging normals" or people that might try to cross over JP you.

In regards to what this thread is originally about...I find d+4 clUM much more safe/effective however the button input is wacky.