What's new

Tech discussion: d4 xx Up Missile

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
As of lately, on the suggestion by another player (MANIACAL_TRICKZz), I've been using Up Missile after a d4 poke.

As we all know, d4 is a great universal footsie/poking tool. In Sektor's case, it opens way to dash in with either --high or low-- combo starter or a throw. IMO, doing Up Missile after d4 adds another layer to Sektor's gameplay because the opponent gets potentially 2 more scenarios to handle and opens up the possibility to start a damaging combo or start pressure.

I haven't hit the lab to test exactly how safe it is depending on whether d4 connects on hit or block and whether front or above Up Missile is used. Common sense points to d4 on hit with front Up Missile being the safest variation. But, to the extent I have used it, doesn't appear to be too risky to be disregarded, specially if you figure out your opponents playstyle. In other words, if the opponent likes to commit to every opportunity to get in, then d4 xx front Up Missile is the best option; converserly, if the opponent is more cautious/patient, then d4 xx above Up Missile allows you to get in. Moreover, unless the opponent uses an armored move, most attempts to counter will result in a trade.

The idea of the topic is mainly to further discuss this tech and find out if it really adds to Sektor's game or not, how it should be used, to what other tactics it can lead to, so on and so forth. I'm mainly interested in the input of those who have used it in the past or are currently using it. Though, it should be obvious anyone's input is appreciated.

ryublaze

Noob
Hi Bild haven't played you in a while.

I have been messing with this for a while but I haven't been using Sektor a lot lately so I can't remember results. On hit it's great but on block I believe the opponent can punish you before the Up Missile goes up. If you're hit before it goes up then it won't come down.

Another thing I have been messing with is 4 Up Missile (max range where the Sektor's toe hits the opponent). You kinda have to time it because the opponent can get a free jip if he jumps at the same time you do 4. After 4 Up Missile you can do Flame Burner (dash back for more space) if they try to move in.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Hey! Be sure to check the KILLA chat and stuff, some changes are coming. =]
I have been messing with this for a while but I haven't been using Sektor a lot lately so I can't remember results. On hit it's great but on block I believe the opponent can punish you before the Up Missile goes up. If you're hit before it goes up then it won't come down.
This is what I was worried about. Specially, because it can be hard to gauge if d4 hits or not.

Another thing I have been messing with is 4 Up Missile (max range where the Sektor's toe hits the opponent). You kinda have to time it because the opponent can get a free jip if he jumps at the same time you do 4. After 4 Up Missile you can do Flame Burner (dash back for more space) if they try to move in.
Hmmm, will try it. Though, with everyone's tactic of crouching versus Sektor it seems to be hard to set up.

ryublaze

Noob
Hey! Be sure to check the KILLA chat and stuff, some changes are coming. =]

This is what I was worried about. Specially, because it can be hard to gauge if d4 hits or not.

Hmmm, will try it. Though, with everyone's tactic of crouching versus Sektor it seems to be hard to set up.
I actually left Killas a while ago. It was fun but I didn't like keeping up with things, and my internet started getting laggy. The last thing I remember was getting 0-5'ed in the clan tourney lol.

Looking at the frame data, 4 doesn't seem that good. I just like its range. I'm not sure if it can hit a crouching opponent.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
When using an UM with sektor you never want to really do it if they aren't on the ground, if you from a safe distance and mixing it up with your straight ones you're ok. But doing one right in their face is really risky, Off a D4 you may as well go for something else because on block you're safe and can go for another string after (unless they D1) and on hit you get the guaranteed pressure. If the pressure is successful you can do the UM to finish your combo.

An interesting idea but not very practical :p

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I usually do d4 xx close upmissile or d4 xx homing missile. Occasionally I'll do d4 xx straight missile

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
When using an UM with sektor you never want to really do it if they aren't on the ground, if you from a safe distance and mixing it up with your straight ones you're ok. But doing one right in their face is really risky, Off a D4 you may as well go for something else because on block you're safe and can go for another string after (unless they D1) and on hit you get the guaranteed pressure. If the pressure is successful you can do the UM to finish your combo.

An interesting idea but not very practical :p
Yeah, the risk is there. I wanted to find it out if it could be used akin to 1-2-2 xx Up Missile, but more sparingly.
I usually do d4 xx close upmissile or d4 xx homing missile. Occasionally I'll do d4 xx straight missile
Has it turned out to be at least a dependable tech? Have you bee punished many times? What is the average reaction from your opponents?

PND_Ketchup

The risk is that against characters that have lunging normals (like cage for example) they tend to move right past the missile anyway.

Using a homing missile isn't that bad as it tracks them, but the risk of the missile missing isn't worth being full combo punished for it.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Some characters even get around homing missiles. Say you throw a homing missile out, Kabal can dash you, block the missile and still have time to punish you.

Similar to Ketchup I would recommend mainly using up missiles as combo enders or from full screen when combined with strait missile and flame. Again, as Ketchup said, up missile is very limited against dashing characters (Reptile, Kabal, Nightwolf, Scarlet, Cage, Raiden)

122, up missile can work wonders. It's just very unsafe.

For d4, flame afterwords. It's safe against most characters on block.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
With d4 xx any upmissile I tend to use it most on characters that don't have a fast punish like kabal reptile mileena etc. When I do use it I normally NJP afterwards to catch jumpers. If they just block then I'll just dash in and continue pressure

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
That's a good tech at times, me personally I like doing jump in 1, 22, up close missle then rush them down into 50/50's. Works good too.

MKF30

@LordoftheFly, LMAO, coming from a NW player...I wouldn't listen to someone who doesn't even use Sektor at all....

PND_Ketchup

@LordoftheFly, LMAO, coming from a NW player...I wouldn't listen to someone who doesn't even use Sektor at all....
To be fair, doing an UM on block in their face is genuinely a really dumb idea.

Unless it's off a 1,2,2 and you wanna risk throwing it out there. Even then it's a huge risk.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I play sektor dude. I play tons of people.

Nw, rai, sektor, kenshi, cage, scorp...etc. if used sparingly, d4 into front missle can be very effective. I wouldnt make it a staple of my game but d4 at max range into close missle isn't THAT bad...jees

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
We all know the negatives but what about the positives. up missle is like +40 on block you can do whatever you want. And if they jump and it hits you get a combo for 30ish. If they dash forwar and it hits you get 50%. If they stand block you can still dash in for pressure as if you just followed up the d4 withough up missle. If they dash back you got space for footsies.

MKF30

To be fair, doing an UM on block in their face is genuinely a really dumb idea.

Unless it's off a 1,2,2 and you wanna risk throwing it out there. Even then it's a huge risk.
Ok, I think you mis-understood what I meant in my initial post.... I never said to do an up missle in your face lol(perhaps I worded it wrong), that's just dumb and way too risky I agree. He has a combo that pushes them back, then do the missle after a kick in one of his small chains. It backs them off on block while gives you time to get your missle off safely. He's like my 3rd or 4th guy, which you may remember when we played. I know I gave your NW Raiden and Ermac, but I might have picked Sektor as well. At any rate, I just found your post random since a lot of people know I use Sektor as one of my guys. Most of the time I just prefer to zone and turtle with him, you can also be aggressive with him which is why I like him.

@Lord, yeah sparringly not constantly I do D4 into up missle, then if I can do a fast jk, since a lot of times their first reaction will be to jump.

Personally, I like to do his seeker then jump in and put 50/50 pressure on at times as well, like stated, if the missle hits it's at least 40%+ depending on what you do. :)

PND_Ketchup

Sorry MKF30, i don't remember fighting you. if i did, cool. I did actually misread your post, 1,2,2 UM is still a bad idea on block as it's still punishable. Risk it if you want, theres no way to guarentee you'll be punished, but against some of the cast you'd wanna avoid that.

but the negatives outweigh the positives i'm afraid, it's something to gamble yeah. If it's on hit you get Um pressure, but on block it's full combo punishable, i don't think i'll take that risk thanks. Especially as on block, i'm at anti air range, B1 range, F2 range, flamethrower range etc. On hit i can dash in and go for something much better.

Doing a HM instead is fine.

MKF30

Yeah, I rarely if ever do it anyway. I just prefer to just keep people away from me and outzone them with Sektor with his missles, there is one trick I like doing it though sometimes after a teleport punch(normal one) he has time to do one, what it'll do is force them to roll back. If they do a wake up unless it's Raiden's superman, you'll still hit them if not trade hits at least. I do it here and there, if they block I'll rush down and throw them or simply jump in with a 50/50 high or his high to low juggler :)

If you know what I mean, I'm sure you do.

Yeah, I like doing HM. To be honestly naked UM I prefer to do the close one since it's kind of like a shield for Sektor to use, if they try to jump or rush in it will hit them, even if they're blocking, it gives Sektor a chance to rush in for another attack. We'd have to play, and I can show you my own style with him. Sometimes, people have a different style that seems odd to others, yet it's effective to the one using it.