What's new

Tec/strat curiosity

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
I am curious if anyone has anything new or are working on new stuff for shang? The last bit of non anti-shang info i can remember is the end of round soul steal :/
I've run into a wall skill wise with shang, and sadly it's really hard to find other people to play against for casual/ practice... WA, Kitsap(kinda bremerton)
There isn't an expectation that people would be revealing their new shiny shangness with evo just around the corner... but it would be nice to know something is in the works.

Sooo, I guess this is a call for anyone in the kitsap county area the farther north the better! As well as the tech Q.

Shang is my favorite char, but other ones (cyrax primarily) I have out leveled my shang in less than half the time... So, barring something new to toss into my game, the best way for my shang to not get hella stale and boring I really really need new competition.

Thank you for reading ^-^
~IDYLEHANDZ

Theme

Noob
I think Shang Tsung is a very footsies heavy based character. For me, I find that playing him somewhat like Cage's footsies (not involving the f3 however of Cage) works really well. Against JIP or JIK, a standing 1, like Cage, usually catches them for a 25% combo into soul steal. I also use sweep, f3 or b2 mix ups a lot. Also, throw in random SS once in awhile, it will keep them on edge and constantly blocking. I also like to low poke into f4 into GS.

Shang Tsung is a great character when it comes to blockstrings, simply because he has US and GS's. When I get someone into a blockstring, I usually end it in US right on top of them and catch them either trying to counter attack, or jump. If they simply sit there and block, you will have enough time to have another free JIP into another blockstring. You must mix it up with GS, because a lot of times they will attempt to punsh you after the blocked string, US or not, and if you use GS, you just guaranteed yourself at least 30% on them.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Nothing "new". Not many people use him either becuase he's too hard or he's not top 5. I would give you tips, but Theme covered most of it.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I think the greatest asset to you as the Shang player is knowing your opponents character. Unfortunately, that makes Shang the most difficult character in the game to use at his highest possible level, imo.

I love watching other shangs play, to see how their style differs. Some are zoning heavy, some are rush heavy. I believe the best way to play him is in between. I think there we know everything there is to know about Shang at this point. He is a simply character, but one of the deepest in the game.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
I think Shang Tsung is a very footsies heavy based character. For me, I find that playing him somewhat like Cage's footsies (not involving the f3 however of Cage) works really well. Against JIP or JIK, a standing 1, like Cage, usually catches them for a 25% combo into soul steal. I also use sweep, f3 or b2 mix ups a lot. Also, throw in random SS once in awhile, it will keep them on edge and constantly blocking. I also like to low poke into f4 into GS.

Shang Tsung is a great character when it comes to blockstrings, simply because he has US and GS's. When I get someone into a blockstring, I usually end it in US right on top of them and catch them either trying to counter attack, or jump. If they simply sit there and block, you will have enough time to have another free JIP into another blockstring. You must mix it up with GS, because a lot of times they will attempt to punsh you after the blocked string, US or not, and if you use GS, you just guaranteed yourself at least 30% on them.
d4 into ss should work well enough. d4 into gs leaves you at an unreachable poisition(safe and good, yet not the best), whereas the pushback from the ss gives you just the neccesary spacing to play footsies.

Theme

Noob
I think the greatest asset to you as the Shang player is knowing your opponents character. Unfortunately, that makes Shang the most difficult character in the game to use at his highest possible level, imo.
Indeed you need to know the player and character you are facing. However, I dont think you need to know all, just the few main ones and their bnbs. The special inputs for each character, at least you need to know. I find that whenever I SS, they often get panicked and try to JIP, in which case, you can punish with even an uppercut or full combo. Sometimes, they get very timid and stand there and just block. Id go up to them and simply grab.

LEGEND

YES!
My shang has been all about corner traps lately, Just playin footsies while i push my opponent to the corner has changed alot of MUs for me

I do have a new mid-screen reset option that i've been toying with but its more of a mixed in gimmick than a BnB setup, if your opponent doesn't know how to get out of it or doesn't see it coming it equals 24%ish (no meter) With SS reset and even if they know how to get out of it it stops their wake-ups from being a threat. In the end its not really better than the usual upskull traps and all sharing it would do is ruin its novelty so i'll just leave it at that for now

As for all around gameplay goes i am really loving Shang's D3. It lowers his hitbox is sooooo much and isn't - on hit like ermac's, its ridiculous. Anytime someone jumps at you or tries dashing in with an attack D3 evades it and changes the pace in your favor. This combined with D1 anti cross-ups and Reverse input Ex SS has made my shang completely void of weaknesses. He Can Zone, He can play footsies, he can pressure, He doesn't have problems with pressure and his wake-ups work just fine

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
LolOlolol.

It's about ending combos in mGS instead of uS.
I think I did something weird on accident with med ground skull... It seemed to have stood the opponent back up, but I've been unable to reproduce it. I don't really know what was happening on the other end.
I am curious if it was a freak accident, or if this is a explored thing?

Detroit at MLG was useing combos Iv never before. Does anyone know where I can watch that MLG anaheim top 8?
He was useings normals I normaly wouldn't use in these perfect situations. I'm always learning more about Shang, I don't know why more people don't post.

I'm not sure if this is new, but I've got a gimmick with Shang that i'e never seen used before. After F4 ground skull, you can juggle with 1,2 and follow with 1,3 xx mid ground skull. The ground skull will whiff and if your opponent doesn't tech roll and get up blocking they'll get hit by the rising skull. The whole reason that it works so well as a gimmick is that your opponent falls really fast after the l,3, so they really have to be on their toes to tech roll in time, the skull also looks like it whiffs so they'll rarely think to hold block as they wake up. After mid GS hits you combo with far GS, EX GS etc for a good amount damage. I encourage you to try it out, it might win you a couple matches!

I think I did something weird on accident with med ground skull... It seemed to have stood the opponent back up, but I've been unable to reproduce it. I don't really know what was happening on the other end.
I am curious if it was a freak accident, or if this is a explored thing?
sounds like you're talking about the same thing as lloyd banks, or a similar setup
I'm not sure if this is new, but I've got a gimmick with Shang that i'e never seen used before. After F4 ground skull, you can juggle with 1,2 and follow with 1,3 xx mid ground skull. The ground skull will whiff and if your opponent doesn't tech roll and get up blocking they'll get hit by the rising skull. The whole reason that it works so well as a gimmick is that your opponent falls really fast after the l,3, so they really have to be on their toes to tech roll in time, the skull also looks like it whiffs so they'll rarely think to hold block as they wake up. After mid GS hits you combo with far GS, EX GS etc for a good amount damage. I encourage you to try it out, it might win you a couple matches!
it's a good thing to try out once or maybe twice but it's definitely easy to blow up. although if you can condition them to tech roll it (instead of wakeup, which will blow this and several other setups with ease), you can follow 1,3 up with a far upskull. it stuffs techrolls, but it puts them too far to follow up with far gskull (you might get it sometimes though lol). but they lose 8% so it's not that bad.

Yeah, only some wake ups blow up that setup, you can block in time for others. Like I said, its totally a gimmick, it really only works due to the rarity of shang players. Thanks for providing more info bloodsport!

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
thank you guys. will give it a try and see if this is what was happening. I rarely use 1,3 but for what ever reason it's been coming out a lot in place of other things... possibly growing pains with the new controller or this damnable cut on the tip of my thumb throwing me.

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
Detroit at MLG was useing combos Iv never before. Does anyone know where I can watch that MLG anaheim top 8?
He was useings normals I normaly wouldn't use in these perfect situations. I'm always learning more about Shang, I don't know why more people don't post.
if you find the link let me know?
i will also look about. but to be honest every time i see his matches anymore, its jax, smoke, or kabal :/

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I find he has some nice tick throws especially after 1,2 is blocked. Plus his throw gains you health, so this isnt too bad of a tactic.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Detroit's taken to using f3,4GS of a hit-confirmed f4GS, which makes a lot more sense than doing 1,2 repeated. It does more damage, seems easier to execute and sets up his zoning game, giving him advantage when he ends with up skull.

Tbh I don't why all shang's (including me) haven't been doing this :/ It seems by far the superior option to take for a juggle, considering it eliminates the guessing game on upskull pressure on wake-up by forcing the opponent to block it in most cases.