What's new

Teams at tournaments

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Hmmm... I just thought about this... will it before actual 2's on 2's (isn't that what SF does?) or will it be 1vs1?

I never played in teams before, that's why I ask

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I'm more accustomed to playing one-vs-one battles myself and I'm cool with whether it stays that way or not. Although, I think that is still in question for the tournament organizers, but I'm not sure of that since I don't know what sources to check for that information.

Dark_Rob

Noob
UMK3 works best with 2 vs 2 and can actually be played that way. We have messed around with it before and it is fun. The biggest question here is will there be enough time for it. I wont lie, even with all the planning and organization going into this the fact remains that things will still be hectic and time will be tight. Over the past few months we have seen more and more people come out for these tournaments and we are running more MK games than ever before.
Its alot for Shock,9.95, Summoning and myself to handle. Thankfully Storms has stepped up recently and been of huge help. And now Dan will be helping us out by running the 3D MK tourneys. btbb and Dookiebrain over at CMK appear to be helping to take things in hand with MK2. All this help is greatly appreciated guys.

As far as a team tourney goes. The best way for that to happen would be for us to get through the MK2 and MKDC tournaments as efficiently as possible on Saturday. If we have time left over we may be able to run one UMK3 later on Saturday if people are interested.

DrDogg

Noob
Generally speaking, the team tournament usually comes before the 1v1 tournament. If there are enough setups, they can both be run at the same time.

The 1v1 tournament is the main attraction, so it really depends on how many setups you have. I know at DEV 2011 we'll have enough setups to breeze through an MK9 tournament, so running teams shouldn't be an issue. But at other events, especially when MK is not a marquee title, setups can be limited and time is an issue.

When it comes to MK9 you also have to factor in the possibility of doing a tag mode tournament as well. That gives you three tournaments (4 if you opt to do a team tag mode tournament as well).

Tim Static

Adminerator
Late April in Cincinnati we'll be doing basically the first MK9 tourney, so we'll learn a lot about how MK9 works like this.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I hope the Tag Team can be used as the tournament standard. 1v1 is okay, but even in games like UMK3 the 2v2 mode is so much more fun and it gives the game more depth. It definitely will be more fun, regardless of if it's broken. Hopefully the tag team is functional enough for tournament play. So much more strategy and skill will be involved too.

Just sayin... :mail:

DrDogg

Noob
I hope the Tag Team can be used as the tournament standard. 1v1 is okay, but even in games like UMK3 the 2v2 mode is so much more fun and it gives the game more depth. It definitely will be more fun, regardless of if it's broken. Hopefully the tag team is functional enough for tournament play. So much more strategy and skill will be involved too.

Just sayin... :mail:
There's absolutely no way to determine how much strategy and skill are required in tag play. Fun is also a relative term. For you tag play may be more fun, but for me I highly doubt I'll even touch tag play before Evo. I don't mind if tag play is featured in tournaments (assuming it's not ridiculously broken), but I would not travel if tag play was the standard.

Never has there been a fighting game with a balanced tag mode in which tag wasn't the primary mode of play (Tekken Tag).

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There's absolutely no way to determine how much strategy and skill are required in tag play.
I assume you mean currently. Because when the game comes out, it's entirely possible.

Fun is also a relative term.
I learned something new today.

For you tag play may be more fun, but for me I highly doubt I'll even touch tag play before Evo. I don't mind if tag play is featured in tournaments (assuming it's not ridiculously broken), but I would not travel if tag play was the standard.
Your way or the high way huh?

Never has there been a fighting game with a balanced tag mode in which tag wasn't the primary mode of play (Tekken Tag).
Balance is overrated.

DrDogg

Noob
I assume you mean currently. Because when the game comes out, it's entirely possible.
Obviously I mean right now...

Your way or the high way huh?
I wasn't under the impression that 1v1 was "my way". But I don't see why it's so hard for you to understand this concept. I don't travel for games I don't like, so why would I travel for tag mode when I don't like tag mode (when the focus of the game is 1v1)?

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Dr. Dogg: I'm strongly considering making tag mode the standard for the san antonio community. Can you explain your objections to this? Trying to get as much feedback as possible, thanks

I think that's unfair. There have been plenty of unbalanced 1v1 games.

Plus I don't get the Tekken reference. TTT was more balanced because of the tag mode, not despite if it. Its not like their were a bunch of secondary tag modes for the other Tekken games and things were broken.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk