What's new

Teaching MK

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
First, if I have placed this in the wrong thread, I apologize.

That out of the way, I should provide some background information to this thread. Recently, I've been bringing my system and monitor to university to kill time between classes. Also, I watch a lot of MK tournament footage. Well, a few people saw me watching said footage and playing the game and have become interested in learning it.

One player comes from BlazBlue. He has solid fundementals and footsies, but he is having a hard time adjusting from all the quarter rolls of BB to the back and forth motions of MK. He has settled on Ermac, and likes the character thus far.

Another player, coming from MvC and the likes, has also taken interest in the game. I started him off with Kung Lao, but he felt as though the character was sluggish. More over, he is having a hard time adjusting to the pace of MK. I only play MK, but I am told the speed of play is slower than other games.

There are a few other players who are interested, but seem a little intimidated by the learning curve. My question is, how do you all reel new players in? How do you help them decide what character to choose? How do you teach?

Also, what characters do you recommend for new players, or players coming from "faster" fighting games?

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you for your time.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Well, if you like playing fast characters then some good rushdown characters would be Sonya, Jax, Cage, or Liu Kang. These characters strong points are that they have fast, relatively safe normals and good footisies.

If you like playing at a millions miles per second, I would go with Reptile, Kung Lao, Raiden, Kabal, and Kitana. They like to fluster out their opponents and capitalize on errors.

The best rushdown character for a newbie is Liu Kang, simple ABC combos, good footsies, and decent zoning.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Well, if you like playing fast characters then some good rushdown characters would be Sonya, Jax, Cage, or Liu Kang. These characters strong points are that they have fast, relatively safe normals and good footisies.

If you like playing at a millions miles per second, I would go with Reptile, Kung Lao, Raiden, Kabal, and Kitana. They like to fluster out their opponents and capitalize on errors.

The best rushdown character for a newbie is Liu Kang, simple ABC combos, good footsies, and decent zoning.
I would recomend Sektor. He can rush and zone. And he has huge damage potential. The negative is his wake up game.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I would recomend Sektor. He can rush and zone. And he has huge damage potential. The negative is his wake up game.
He's not a good choice for someone just picking up the game, very footsie orientated and requires a high level of skill to play properly.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Reptile is more difficult to use right! I agree with Lao and Kang. Sektor lunches you for +45% combo with 6fr. Two times and you are dead. And he is not that difficult to begginers. Learn some BnB and learn when to teleport and how to get in with f2. Then some poke game.