What's new

Video/Tutorial Teaching fundamentals early ft. Gootecks

One of the most difficult parts when it comes to fighting games is not only learning the basics, but engraving fundamentals in your gameplay early so it becomes second nature. The video below shows Gootecks doing an excellent breakdown of SFV, teaching pro wrestler Xavier Woods the basics of Street Fighter.

It's important to watch this because what Gootecks is doing is developing Xavier's fundamentals before getting into the details of the game. Notice he did not teach him combos, only tools to use in the neutral game.

This is generally how a beginner should approach any fighting game, not only Street Fighter. As a player picking up a new fighting game, you need to know the spacing, and movement of your character, their tools, and add more and more as time goes on. The initial goal shouldn't focus much on losing or winning, but your development as a player.

I would suggest watching the whole video, but to skip straight to the breakdown go to 4:08

Important things to note:
-Notice how gootecks sets a gameplan, and works backwards
-Notice how he gives Xavier a few tools to work with. This prevents overwhelming him with too much information. (less is more)
-Notice that Gootecks did not teach him combos
-Notice that that Xavier was not taught to jump/discouraged from jumping
-Notice how Xavier was taught to walk forward in neutral to pressure the opponent in the corner
-Notice how well Xavier does in the first round of his match
-Notice how Xavier's opponent panics when put in the corner and goes for unsafe options
-Notice how nerves affect Xavier in the third match. Keep in mind Xavier performs in front of thousands and yet even nerves get to him playing online.
-Notice that Gootecks is impressed on how well Xavier does and is able to identify where he went wrong. Winning or losing wasn't a factor, only development of neutral was observed.

Last edited:

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
I think I know how to play SF now thanks to this video. All the fundamentals guys bring up regarding MK are actually plausible in SF. Only time I see these things in MK are at the high levels. Good tutorial nonetheless.

SF is alot different compared to how MK is supposed to be played.

Just saying
I apologize for the late post since this was eons ago haha, but I agree with what your saying (MK's gameplay is vastly different than SFV). Keeping in mind however that I feel that a person picking up any fighting game should generally learn the basics. In the vid, they taught Xiaver movement, walking forward to pressure the opponent into the corner, and a simple poke for spacing. (in later vids they teach him anti-airing and other nuances)

Relating this to when I was playing tekken tag 2. All I wanted to do was to learn hwoarangs just frame sky rocket and combos/setup when one of the things I didn't focus on was trying to learn better movement, better spacing, learning to whiff punish, seeing what was punishable, etc. That's pretty much what I was trying to emphasize when it comes to a person picking up a fighting game.

If given the chance, I would like to make a thread about in detail about this topic also, just don't have the time as of now though. :(

Solignac

Noob
This slower, more thought out style makes me miss playing SF. MK is just "prepare your anus" on oki everytime. I think they limited his toolset a little bit too much, even for teaching fundamentals but it's a great start to move on from. Some players think they're EVO 420 blze it champions the minute they start the game. Learning fundamentals is like learning combos. If you break the combo into smaller pieces and just practice those pieces individually before moving on, you can pick up things very quickly.