What's new

Swaggy "In your face" choice.

Macoomba

Noob
Hello there!
I'm a beginner (just used to play MKX for kinda 2 months), and I'm trying to get seriously good on MK11.
Now, my main choice was 1st Round KO Jacqui, I do love her thai style but I feel she is very difficult for a beginner, since you need to work your way out of zoning and then start throwing mixups with cancels and stuff. Well, not for somebody without solid foundamentals.
So, I'm looking for a temporary main/second choice more beginner friendly.
Since I was playing war god kotal, I really like "in your face" characters, so I dont care about zoners and stuff. I just want to get close and smash their faces.
The ones I like are Cassie, Sonya, Johnny Cage, Kotal and Jax.
Kotal seems boring here, Jax doesn't seem that easy, I heard Johnny sucks and well, the two remaining are mother and daughter.
What do you suggest? I'm open to every suggestion and opinion.

PS Sad fact: i'm on pc and can't train atm, waiting for the update....

Macoomba

Noob
If you're choosing Cassie you can still train with the combos that work in the PS4 1.02 patch, here's the thread I made: https://testyourmight.com/threads/chew-bubblegum-kick-some-ass-cassie-cage-tournament-ranked-combos-tech-and-tips-thread.69257/

Sonya is a really good beginner choice, she has a ton of options and she has some relentless pressure.
I've already read all of your comments in the cassie post :p I like her a lot but I want to be sure before start studying! Who would u suggest between cassie and sonya for me?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I've already read all of your comments in the cassie post :p I like her a lot but I want to be sure before start studying! Who would u suggest between cassie and sonya for me?
Awesome :D

To be honest, I would learn both that's what I'm doing. Cassie has more strict timing on her combos, Sonya is a bit easier so it depends if you wanna start with the harder one and then go easier or vice versa. Lab them both a bit and see what feels better for you.

Macoomba

Noob
Awesome :D

To be honest, I would learn both that's what I'm doing. Cassie has more strict timing on her combos, Sonya is a bit easier so it depends if you wanna start with the harder one and then go easier or vice versa. Lab them both a bit and see what feels better for you.
well tbh i'd prefer just one between them, since they looks "similar" to me so i'd prefer one of them and then another totally different char! How much time you think i'll need before sticking to jacqui? And what do you think about her?

also, cassie looks way cooler than sonya to me..would you mind about giving me pros and cons of them both?

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
well tbh i'd prefer just one between them, since they looks "similar" to me so i'd prefer one of them and then another totally different char! How much time you think i'll need before sticking to jacqui? And what do you think about her?

also, cassie looks way cooler than sonya to me..would you mind about giving me pros and cons of them both?
Haven't tried Jacqui at all, I've been a Cassie loyalist since launch.

I only played Sonya for like a few hours, but so far her only con seems to be slow projectiles, so I bet she'll have a hard time against zoners like Jade and Scarlet.

Cassie has great pressure, her 50/50s aren't incredible (f3,4 is slow) but she has good tools for mostly everything. We couldn't find good corner combos for her but people are figuring stuff out and getting 44% so she's damn solid all around.

Macoomba

Noob

I only played Sonya for like a few hours, but so far her only con seems to be slow projectiles, so I bet she'll have a hard time against zoners like Jade and Scarlet.

Cassie has great pressure, her 50/50s aren't incredible (f3,4 is slow) but she has good tools for mostly everything. We couldn't find good corner combos for her but people are figuring stuff out and getting 44% so she's damn solid all around.
I'm PROBABLY going with Sonya, so I could have some easier times and start having some fun. Then I'll switch to someone else. Or probably I'll love her and stick with her, who knows! Do you know if I can already train with her or her combos are fckd up on pc still?

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I’ve heard the opposite about Johnny... heard he’s quite good. Haven’t tried him myself though.

Check out Shao Kahn and Liu Kang. They seem to have potential for your style.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I'm PROBABLY going with Sonya, so I could have some easier times and start having some fun. Then I'll switch to someone else. Or probably I'll love her and stick with her, who knows! Do you know if I can already train with her or her combos are fckd up on pc still?
I don't think there were any major changes to her combos, but again just practice with the ones in the Sonya combo thread, I believe those are 1.02 ready.

Macoomba

Noob
I’ve heard the opposite about Johnny... heard he’s quite good. Haven’t tried him myself though.

Check out Shao Kahn and Liu Kang. They seem to have potential for your style.
I'm not a fan of Liu Kang. And Shao seems a bit tooo slow for me. Maybe I'll check them and I'll read better about Johnny. TY!

I don't think there were any major changes to her combos, but again just practice with the ones in the Sonya combo thread, I believe those are 1.02 ready.
Gonna try them! TY!

Macoomba

Noob
It seems like Sonya 123 doesn't work. Probably they updated her 1 on hit +frames so you can link it to the 2. But since I'm patches behind on pc........ I'm already done.

mn_tercercine

you can call me blue cheese, because I am DRESSING
Jax is an absolute monster in the corner and doesn't take too long to learn imo.

I use the Quad Grab variation and once you start the db1 Gotcha Grab + Restand shenanigans in the corner it is difficult for your opponent to get out of it if you mix things up. He also has good corner carry on a few of his moves, including the db1 gotcha.

He has 2 crushing blows off of overheads in that variation (one needs heated arms), a 400 damage crushing blow command grab for 2 meter and a crushing blow off of his forward throw when his arms are fully heated). It is very easy for me to get a crushing blow on demand when I need to end a round.

The neutral game with him is a little tougher (I struggle against Baraka players in particular) but if you can make them block a F4 then the frames are in your favor.

Macoomba

Noob
Jax is an absolute monster in the corner and doesn't take too long to learn imo.

I use the Quad Grab variation and once you start the db1 Gotcha Grab + Restand shenanigans in the corner it is difficult for your opponent to get out of it if you mix things up. He also has good corner carry on a few of his moves, including the db1 gotcha.

He has 2 crushing blows off of overheads in that variation (one needs heated arms), a 400 damage crushing blow command grab for 2 meter and a crushing blow off of his forward throw when his arms are fully heated). It is very easy for me to get a crushing blow on demand when I need to end a round.

The neutral game with him is a little tougher (I struggle against Baraka players in particular) but if you can make them block a F4 then the frames are in your favor.
I tried him but he doesn't seem too easy :/ Even if i like his rude style

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

Sadly Sonya beats Jade into submission on all variations currently. Superior frames up close and Jade's zoning is not compelling at all. Slow startup, you can just walk her into the corner. She's hella negative on everything.

Macoomba

Noob
Sadly Sonya beats Jade into submission on all variations currently. Superior frames up close and Jade's zoning is not compelling at all. Slow startup, you can just walk her into the corner. She's hella negative on everything.
I'm lucky cuz I never liked Jade :p Dont hate me! <3

I main Johnny and just picked up kollector also and I also like the aggressive in your face style of pressure play.

But I have to say these 2 just arent fitting that style well. Johnny is a shell of his former pressure self. Ending combos in nut punch in this game to keep them in front of you doesnt work that well since it's only +5. All of his strings the first hit starts high so you cant jail them with anything after other than a down poke, you can poke or throw, that's the mind game. He has a really good low string combo starter but absolutely nothing overhead so there is no reason for anyone to ever come out of crouch block which compounds the problem of all of his strings starting with a first hit high. You will get poked and upercutted a lot trying to pressure a crouch blocker with most of his strings. He is a bait and punish character requiring your opponent to make mistakes.

Kollector is fun, his best combo string starts low an can cancel into special for a combo, or you can end the string in an overhead or a low for a knockdown so it's a decent mind game. But it is fairly slow and it will get beat out if you are right on top of someone and the enders are unsafe on block so he isnt a choke you with pressure character either. He has some great far reaching normals so spacing is key with him as well.

I'm going to pick up Sonya, since her pressure options look really good.

Macoomba

Noob
I main Johnny and just picked up kollector also and I also like the aggressive in your face style of pressure play.

But I have to say these 2 just arent fitting that style well. Johnny is a shell of his former pressure self. Ending combos in nut punch in this game to keep them in front of you doesnt work that well since it's only +5. All of his strings the first hit starts high so you cant jail them with anything after other than a down poke, you can poke or throw, that's the mind game. He has a really good low string combo starter but absolutely nothing overhead so there is no reason for anyone to ever come out of crouch block which compounds the problem of all of his strings starting with a first hit high. You will get poked and upercutted a lot trying to pressure a crouch blocker with most of his strings. He is a bait and punish character requiring your opponent to make mistakes.

Kollector is fun, his best combo string starts low an can cancel into special for a combo, or you can end the string in an overhead or a low for a knockdown so it's a decent mind game. But it is fairly slow and it will get beat out if you are right on top of someone and the enders are unsafe on block so he isnt a choke you with pressure character either. He has some great far reaching normals so spacing is key with him as well.

I'm going to pick up Sonya, since her pressure options look really good.
Thank you so much for all of these info! I'm going with Sonya too I guess. Which variation you Think is better?