What's new

Sun choke has several issues

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Normal grabs have the same range as sun choke, it doesn't have any longer range.

It's 14f vs 10f of normal grabs.

It does 125/180 dmg vs 140/154 back/front throw.

It forces a sideswitch, meaning that if you corner someone, you can't use it at all.

It doesn't give you any oki whatsoever on MB, no non-mb you get a F2 check and that's it.

Charges are temporary. I explained how you don't get great oki, or get none at all if you mb it, you're most likely not going to get in and make use of those charges. I played about 100-150 games these 2 days, very rarely did I ever hit sun chokes while I was charged up, and only twice in those ~150 games did I hit a sun choke at lvl 3, and that was in cases where the opp was just literally not blocking and getting hit by F2.

On top of that, the tick throws are extremely poor. You can tick throw with S1, D1, D3.

S1, D1 are fine. D3 is a buggy mess, in which half the time it whiffs point blank, the only way to 100% guarantee you tick D3 is in the case that you hit D3 as you're walking inside their hurtbox, you have to be walking, otherwise you might whiff, even if you're completely point blank. They also completely removed the F3 tick throw, it could've been a good mixup tool, but meh.

As a last thing, command grabs trading with normals is complete bullshit, was the same in mk9-10. Command grabs should always beat normals that collide on the same frame.

Call me an idiot for criticising something on day 2 of a game, whatever, but discussions do need to be had on some things that just seem ridiculous.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
It’s very obvious that they designed it with the f3 tick in mind, but when they had to quickly remove that due to that broken exploit that was found it severely crippled his potential as a grappler.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I think the F3 tick will come back. This was a hotfix not a patch and they probably just wanted a quick fix until they figure out what to do with it in a full patch. Same as Kollector's infinite, they just flat out removed the dash cancels and it sounds like a temporary quick fix to me.

Lanqu

Noob
I see, thanks. I agree with the list of issues as we see it now. Now need to understand what was the design behind it, may be we need to think in another dimension

I think the F3 tick will come back. This was a hotfix not a patch and they probably just wanted a quick fix until they figure out what to do with it in a full patch. Same as Kollector's infinite, they just flat out removed the dash cancels and it sounds like a temporary quick fix to me.
God I hope Kollector’s UpMace dash cancels will come back.

Malec

Noob
It’s very obvious that they designed it with the f3 tick in mind, but when they had to quickly remove that due to that broken exploit that was found it severely crippled his potential as a grappler.
Funny thing, in the Kombat Kast where they did the Kotal breakdown, they explained tick throws with F3 into Sun Choke...hope it's coming back

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I just started playing him and he has no quick mods... f1 should be a mid, even then it’s 11 frames so not exactly really quick. F122 being so unsafe seems silly to me too.

What combos are you doing? I’m just doing string~df2~f12~grab.

What corner combos and pressure do you have? I find having no good close mid makes his oki bad

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I just started playing him and he has no quick mods... f1 should be a mid, even then it’s 11 frames so not exactly really quick. F122 being so unsafe seems silly to me too.

What combos are you doing? I’m just doing string~df2~f12~grab.

What corner combos and pressure do you have? I find having no good close mid makes his oki bad
11F is the epitome of quick lmao

There's no reason you should ever finish f122 on block, it's extremely easy to hit confirm to.

That's the bnb. He has no real pressure other than command grab

colby4898

11F is the epitome of quick lmao

There's no reason you should ever finish f122 on block, it's extremely easy to hit confirm to.

That's the bnb. He has no real pressure other than command grab
What I mean is that would be standard with every other character in the game. Some have 9f mids.

Considering you don’t get much off of it unles it crushing blows, and it starts with a high, I don’t see why it needs to be -16. Maybe like -9 or something.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What I mean is that would be standard with every other character in the game. Some have 9f mids.

Considering you don’t get much off of it unles it crushing blows, and it starts with a high, I don’t see why it needs to be -16. Maybe like -9 or something.
Some have 9f mids and he has a 22f mid that reaches halfway across the screen, what you want is just stupidly excessive.

If it crushing blows and starts with a high, why even finish the string. It's not hard to hitconfirm, just sounds like an excuse not to.

colby4898

Some have 9f mids and he has a 22f mid that reaches halfway across the screen, what you want is just stupidly excessive.

If it crushing blows and starts with a high, why even finish the string. It's not hard to hitconfirm, just sounds like an excuse not to.
I don’t think an 11 frame mid would be excessive

Stuck

Mid Tier Whore. 1 combo and a dream.
d1 command grab is the only thing I can do up close without getting uppercut or beat out by faster strings or strings that duck highs. People constantly jump in and end up right in my face after blocking. What’s his best anti air? I’d rather not end up face to face so often.

The way it is now Sun choke works well only during combos and outside of them Sun choke is far worse than regular throw.
From time to time you will manage to surprise enemy with it but its probably best to not use it outside of combos.

KingJerm731

Psn: kingjermx
d1 command grab is the only thing I can do up close without getting uppercut or beat out by faster strings or strings that duck highs. People constantly jump in and end up right in my face after blocking. What’s his best anti air? I’d rather not end up face to face so often.
S1xx df2 f122xx df2 is what I use.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
The best anti I can do on reaction is s1 but it's finicky what I've been doing is using his god-like movement speed to walk back on reaction and wiff punish the jik with F12/B22 into standard combo. I generally leave off the command grab to gain corner carry. You can end with forward dash 122 or D1 into F12/12 Kahn-cut.
You can dash forward after every combo launch from Kahn-Cut and D1 then follow with whatever. It adds an extra percent. Ending in combos with 122 is HKD and gives 24% compared to 20-22% Kahn-cut enders.

Last edited: