What's new

Summit Clip Collection

Apparently I made the top 8 clips, or was the only one linking them on reddit I suppose: https://www.twitch.tv/btsfgc/clips?filter=clips&range=7d

I think the game is super watchable but I guess like SCVI (definitely the best tourney game all year, 600 viewers at Texas Showdown with 4 major champions in the winner's side of the top 8 bracket) won't be accepted by the continually more and more closeminded broader FGC (even though MKX was kind of the main game for a while, seems like MK11 is a more solid game in basically every way except for the casual bit); a reflection of the gradual decay of overall society into segregated groups that deny all other possible opinions. Can't really blame NRS for anything aside from the Krypt/Towers nonsense which theoretically shouldn't matter for the competitive scene (and the pre-release advantages but that was never going to change) /shrug

Anyone want to help me make a competitive subreddit for NRS games? Think its needed and the main reddit is a dumpster fire (though the mods don't seem to be too bad its just that there's too many people, wasn't really an issue in the MKX days oddly enough).

My fantasy squad: https://smash.gg/tournament/summit-of-time/fantasy/roster/d2601a78

Last edited:
Apart from K&M and Aquaman, all the other commentators are kind of annoying tbh.
In the absence of Lord Brady/Aris (the best duo in the history of anything, better than John Madden/Pat Summerall) and some of the other good ones like Arma/Mike they did a pretty good job. Rip did well when he didn't have to talk about the game, like with RPS. Shyguy was so bad that it looped around the universe and became ironically good on the humor front, plus the added comedy of "he's getting paid to sit there and say 'You Suck' occasionally"). Obviously it's impossible to get Aris to do anything so that's a pipedream but presumably Brady was gettable.

Best KnM Moment all weekend:
Big Ass Scissors the ideal thing to say with a British accent.

As predicted DJT had to do the hard carry for someone having a personality (Sonic works better in a fish out of water scenario as opposed to where he just automatically wins everything); Gross also a champion for Mafia/RPS though, Jade Prime did pretty good the last Mafia game. Drunk Scar gains a +10 to charisma boost.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
MK has actually been more and more accepted by the broader FGC over the years.

There was a time when we were basically our own thing, like an afterthought at events. No venue space, 100 entrants was a huge deal, no money. Lots of "When's Marvel".

Now everyone knows who the top players are, there's plenty of money, we're getting major opportunities.

At this point, we have to stop worrying about whether certain specific people from other communities support us or not, and just grow to that next level where it can't be ignored altogether. Having (likely) 800 entrants at Combo Breaker is a pretty good start.

But yeah, we're a pretty far cry from Soul Calibur in terms of notoriety. We cracked 26k viewers yesterday. Sonic is becoming a legitimate internet star.

We cracked 26k viewers yesterday. Sonic is becoming a legitimate internet star.
Sonic is the only star though, actually Sonic is such a big deal that he made GO1 maybe the second most popular non Daigo/Tokido/Punk person in the whole FGC (not counting Xiaohai's Chinese audience). Sonic is pretty much his own thing independent of MK popularity. It's not necessarily a question of stream viewership but wide and diverse acceptance of the game by players of many different genres (which definitely happened with MKX) and how well the game will do after Evo and/or after the customary 8 days before CEO massacre of everyone and introduction of Top Tanyer character patch.

I think the only scenario where MK's tournament scene is as vibrant next year as it is for the first few months of the game is if GO1 miraculously makes top 8 or something at Combo Breaker/EVO (nearly impossible with no training partners, if you're not part of that inner circle, which evidently even fucking DJT isn't, it's just not happening)

Worth reiterating, this is the problem in a nutshell:

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Sonic is the only star though, actually Sonic is such a big deal that he made GO1 maybe the second most popular non Daigo/Tokido/Punk person in the whole FGC (not counting Xiaohai's Chinese audience). Sonic is pretty much his own thing independent of MK popularity. It's not necessarily a question of stream viewership but wide and diverse acceptance of the game by players of many different genres (which definitely happened with MKX) and how well the game will do after Evo and/or after the customary 8 days before CEO massacre of everyone and introduction of Top Tanyer character patch.

I think the only scenario where MK's tournament scene is as vibrant next year as it is for the first few months of the game is if GO1 miraculously makes top 8 or something at Combo Breaker/EVO (nearly impossible with no training partners, if you're not part of that inner circle, which evidently even fucking DJT isn't, it's just not happening)

FALSE! One of the best things to come out that Summit was DJT. I knew nothing about the brotha but not only did his personality shined, but this OG proved he can hang with the new school. Now he got new fans such as myself. Hopefully he gets a sponsor after this so we can see more of him. DJT BABY!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Obviously Sonic is in a league of his own, but if you go to stream chat, everyone knows who Scar/DJT etc. are now. Everyone knows who Dragon is. And Tweedy is. It didn’t used to be like that. It was only really charismatic/outspoken personalities like Perfect Legend and Tom that were known cross-FGC. I first noticed this happening during the MKX ESL Pro League.

We’re a far cry from where we used to be as a bunch of unknowns playing in a venue basement corner for $100. At that point we were actually happy if we got a stream at all at some majors. That was just 7-8 years ago.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Obviously Sonic is in a league of his own, but if you go to stream chat, everyone knows who Scar/DJT etc. are now. Everyone knows who Dragon is. And Tweedy is. It didn’t used to be like that. It was only really charismatic/outspoken personalities like Perfect Legend and Tom that were known cross-FGC. I first noticed this happening during the MKX ESL Pro League.

We’re a far cry from where we used to be as a bunch of unknowns playing in a venue basement corner for $100. That was just 7-8 years ago.
Charismatic ?Question makr? More like an asshole :DOGE

FALSE! One of the best things to come out that Summit was DJT. I knew nothing about the brotha but not only did his personality shined, but this OG proved he can hang with the new school. Now he got new fans such as myself. Hopefully he gets a sponsor after this so we can see more of him. DJT BABY!
DJT was the second best player in MKX for the first like 4 months, also an EVO fucking champion and he's still not part of the Sonic and pals crew; though it's clear you don't understand the point. This is why Yomi existed as a countermeasure, but with no Yomi in sight it'll be lots of Sonic/Dragon/Semiij/Hayatei/Gross for the first year and then whoever grinds forever with 40 man tournaments for the second year (Rewind, Tweedy etc.)

Last edited:

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
DJT was the second best player in MKX for the first like 4 months or something, also an EVO fucking champion and he's still not part of the Sonic and pals crew; though it's clear you don't understand the point. This is why Yomi existed as a countermeasure, but with no Yomi in sight it'll be lots of Sonic/Dragon/Semiij/Hayatei/Gross for the first year and then whoever grinds forever with 40 man tournaments for the second year (Rewind, Tweedy etc.)
DId not follow MKX at all and had no idea he was an EVO champion. Its funny how hes just been swept under the rug....interesting.

Help me understand the point then :) You can start by telling me who the hell is Yomi por favor ?Question mark?

DId not follow MKX at all and had no idea he was an EVO champion. Its funny how hes just been swept under the rug....interesting.

Help me understand the point then :) You can start by telling me who the hell is Yomi por favor ?Question mark?
Yomi was a 20-25 man sponsor team that all lived in the same big complex in Atlanta, sponsored by a mysterious individual (so labelled due to the Texas Border incident) who really likes Mortal Kombat I take it. For the whole first year or so of the game the storyline was Sonic Fox Vs Yomi; Yomi would take 5-6 of the spots in every top 8 and Sonic Fox would win most of them; but he lost to DJT and MIT (DJT's brother Malik) a few times; top Yomi players included those two, Foreverking, Slayer, REO, Michaelangelo, Saltface, Zyphox, and so on. Eventually Sonic built up his own team via training cR or Critical Reaction that included Sonic, Honeybee, Biohazard, Dragon, Semiij (not positive but think he was briefly), Whiteboi, Gross, and a few others and after a long time they eclipsed Yomi more or less and haven't really lost hold of the top of NRS since; if you're not cR or cR adjacent you're less likely to get early access to the game and myriad other issues.

Here's a particularly memorable NLBC Bracket that demonstrates the Yomi/Sonic Fox paradigm: https://nextlevel.challonge.com/nlbc126mkx

Last edited: