What's new

Summer Games Done Quick -- And Why You Should Check it Out

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
If you've never watched a speedruns marathon before, you've been missing out on one of the most unique and creative communities in the world of gaming. Each year, aside from the individual runs a lot of the speedrunners participate in, they come together for a couple of mega-events to collaborate, stream, and push each other around the clock. So for 24 hours a day and multiple days at a time, they take turns performing skilled and tricky feats to push their clock times on some of the best and most beloved games the game industry has put out -- while raising money for charity at the same time.

The two best-known of these are:
All Games Done Quick -- Happens in the middle of winter, towards the start of the year
Summer Games Done Quick -- The (slightly) condensed version, which has gotten bigger and bigger every year

The dedication these guys have to honing their skill and technique, the lengths they go to in order to analyze and break down the game mechanics in order to bend them to their favor, etc., actually reminds me a lot of high-level fighting game play. So for anyone who loves fighting games, a speedrun marathon is something that's both interesting and entertaining to watch. Not to mention they've repeatedly raised over a million dollars at a time for important causes and organizations.

In any case, I'm going to be tuning in. So if you are too, give me a shout in the thread and let me know :D

It's going live now at http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
Been watching these for a few years now, extremely entertaining and for a great cause. I love when they run games that have really broke skips in them. Looking forward to Sonic Boom for this exact reason.