What's new

Subliminal Messages in MK2

Has this ever been experienced in a video game? I'll keep this as an MK2 thread because of the addictiveness of the game. Subliminal messages are everywhere......on the products you buy, the commercials you see, movies..etc. Curious as to what people think.

Subliminal Messaging has its place in both entertainment and music industies but I feel it can be counter-productive at times. It can be a good thing or a bad thing when place in certain places that may or may not sense.

Plus I'd like to call those messages in the game "clues", my favorite is the one about Goro.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
I think video games in general have subliminal messaging built into them, but not in the sense of putting a single suggestive frame in a movie ala "Fight Club". Fighting games especially are a very active mental activity and that alone is probably a massive part of their addictivness. Add in that they are very cheap/Time compared to other forms of entertainment and you have a recipe for success of addiction.

Now the really interesting question is, is there a frame in mk2 that said "Dude go buy sais" making Mr.Jason buy them?

Or is the entire MK series a long set subliminal message to desensitize us because they have developed genetic alteration techniques that will allow us to fight like MK characters!!??

Hmm. I'm starting to think that the release of nuerotransmitters in the brain is just more frequent for fighting games. Winning, which causes pleasure, happens more often in this genre making them more addictive. It also takes less time to be successful, compared to, say, an RPG. There's just one huge goal that can generate a rush in a fighter. Other games have multiple objectives. But, I suppose other games are like fighters. Subliminal messages are probably not in MK2 unless someone starts remarking on auditory or visual elements we didn't take notice to before. It's not impossible is what I'm saying. That's all. The fun of the game seems to make it unnecessary. However, that deep, penetrating hum after a fatality always affected me. Might have to analyze the frequencies people respond to in order to see if there's something more to that.

Hmm. I'm starting to think that the release of nuerotransmitters in the brain is just more frequent for fighting games. Winning, which causes pleasure, happens more often in this genre making them more addictive. It also takes less time to be successful, compared to, say, an RPG. There's just one huge goal that can generate a rush in a fighter. Other games have multiple objectives. But, I suppose other games are like fighters. Subliminal messages are probably not in MK2 unless someone starts remarking on auditory or visual elements we didn't take notice to before. It's not impossible is what I'm saying. That's all. The fun of the game seems to make it unnecessary. However, that deep, penetrating hum after a fatality always affected me. Might have to analyze the frequencies people respond to in order to see if there's something more to that.

Yeah that fatality hum was creepy and for what reasons could be used to control certain patterns of the mind.

When I've been drinking a lot, like I am now, I imagine that Boon, Tobias, Forden, and the others made a promise that they'd keep, only to share when the last of them were on their death bed......secrets with depths no one could fathom. I wouldn't be surprised to find out on my own death bed that those guys with the star masks in MK, as well as, the purple floaters from MK2, were somehow playable. Or other characters in the series. It would be something to talk about. Someone decipher hidden meanings in the game so we can come to this conclusion.............Coming up next......MK2 art and its symbolism......especially in statues.......

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
When I've been drinking a lot, like I am now, I imagine that Boon, Tobias, Forden, and the others made a promise that they'd keep, only to share when the last of them were on their death bed......secrets with depths no one could fathom. I wouldn't be surprised to find out on my own death bed that those guys with the star masks in MK, as well as, the purple floaters from MK2, were somehow playable. Or other characters in the series. It would be something to talk about. Someone decipher hidden meanings in the game so we can come to this conclusion.............Coming up next......MK2 art and its symbolism......especially in statues.......
It would be an epic travesty if there are secrets hidden in the first MK games that no one has unlocked yet :(

Not really about MK2, but since you brought up subliminal messages...
I only remember seeing something like that once; I was watching "Cheaper by the Dozen 2" the Steve Martin film in a theater.
During the scene where they were in the hospital, a sign appeared for an instant at the top corner of the screen. It said: "KEEP WATCHING" in all caps. I was bored, not looking at the characters. Nobody else saw it. It wouldn't have worked anyway, fuck that movie

Good topic. The MK franchise has has soooo much subliminal messaging its not funny! Not so much in a selling sense but more in a end of world who kinda runs shit on planet earth kinda thing. As in Maybey appocolypse prediction illuminate gaff e.g. Take reptile for instance a reptilian creature from unknown who walks the earth cloaked as a human if you familiar with that conspiracy you'll know what I mean. A lot of occult sorcery symbols used through out the series in the artwork of stages and structures. Mk3 it's blatant. Then there's the violence and sex. Who know if that effects our subconscious playing from a early age haha I know playing street fighter and mk when I was 10 I'd press pause when chun li would do a upside down spinning whirl kick or on a mileena kitana high kick have a sly pull hahaha (don't pretend you' s didn't ). If boon or tobias are telling us something the elite know or they just taking the piss, it's all there. Still wouldn't change a thing but

Ha......the Reptilan Hybrid Conspiracy....yes, I'm familiar. Never occurred to me until you mentioned it. As for the sex and violence, it's interesting to hear the screams of the female characters, especially after an uppercut. They seem accentuated, and maybe even sexualized. Then again, I'd probably scream like that too if I was being uppercutted into the rafters or kicked across the room by some super human. There are several emotional outbursts for the characters. Good stuff.

Yeah man always found Baraka Lao and the ninjas throw blahhhhhh sound eerie. Another thing I find interesting the name "kabal" is actually what they call there military bases in around the Iraqi boarder. Funny when you Finnish mk3 it has a screenshot of kabal strolling through the desert and his outfit looks more like he's on a kill bin laden night mission than any artificial breathing device I've seen. Oh and MK Armageddon the slaughter as everyone charges up the great pyramid. Haha love these discussions. Btw don't the Lin kuie masters have a uncanny resemblance to the stone cutters secret society from the Simpsons ?? Boon you cheeky devil what you up to ;)

Industry secret:
Most video game covers today are Blue and Red gradients. In most cases favoring the cool side usually with the warm side on a small fragmented section of the box art. Using red and blue is hypnotic to the eyes for some ass reason. Some jerk off was explaining to me it has some link to how old school 3D glasses had one red side and blue or green on the other. Because the cool side is more "flexible" to more cooler colors of the spectrum, most devs find it best to wash it out with the coldest color of all, white. The same visual patterns can be found on all modern budgeted advertisements and slot machines.

This practice has completely replaced the artistic endeavors of many gaming companies like EA which has restricted there box arts with an all white back ground, character of to one side with some small warm coloring mix variation over them like light or small flame. Point is They find that its necessary to have to do this to maximizes sales.
reality is it works like crazy because we are all just filthy animals that can be tamed with ease thanks to thousands of years of human research.
dont believe it? go through your games, notice the farther back you go the less you will find this trend. remember that this is common in side the games as well. In fact Injustice opens up to a menu screen that's all washed out cool blue and white, but with the Flash's red shoulder or something segmented to the right. Its just his shoulder, why is that the first thing we see?

Industry secret:
Most video game covers today are Blue and Red gradients. In most cases favoring the cool side usually with the warm side on a small fragmented section of the box art. Using red and blue is hypnotic to the eyes for some ass reason. Some jerk off was explaining to me it has some link to how old school 3D glasses had one red side and blue or green on the other. Because the cool side is more "flexible" to more cooler colors of the spectrum, most devs find it best to wash it out with the coldest color of all, white. The same visual patterns can be found on all modern budgeted advertisements and slot machines.

This practice has completely replaced the artistic endeavors of many gaming companies like EA which has restricted there box arts with an all white back ground, character of to one side with some small warm coloring mix variation over them like light or small flame. Point is They find that its necessary to have to do this to maximizes sales.
reality is it works like crazy because we are all just filthy animals that can be tamed with ease thanks to thousands of years of human research.
dont believe it? go through your games, notice the farther back you go the less you will find this trend. remember that this is common in side the games as well. In fact Injustice opens up to a menu screen that's all washed out cool blue and white, but with the Flash's red shoulder or something segmented to the right. Its just his shoulder, why is that the first thing we see?
Good point McDonald's KFC are huge on colour manipulation for up sales red and yellow causes you to rush and make snap decisions on the spot. So you buy more than you need and the franchises ca$hing in big time

I think there are a lot of people in marketing that know human tendencies well. It wouldn't surprise me to know they took their share of psychology and sociology courses while in school.Now.....those statues in MK2. There are 6. 2 ladies in the Deadpool, 2 old men holding something in the Wasteland, and 2 demon, bat, cat-dogs in the Wasteland. What's the inspiration?

Hmm tough to say from first look the beast statues in the wasteland look fit the description from the book of revelations the beast that emerges from the sea. Has the body of a leopard lions head with horns and hooved feet. Or could be a shrine to the centaur imam race that comes into mk3 story involving motaro. Haha long shot for the other statues of the old men and women in deadpool there all throwing up a hail. Nazi influence perhaps shao khan bit of a dictator. Haha it's a tough one. They do look oriental / Hindu influenced that for sure

I definitely don't see ANYTHING related to the book of revelation. Nothing. I know you're trying to think, but, lol, cmon. If anything, .....the women appear to be judges of those 'worthy', waiting for death .....the old men might be guides or lightbringers(as they stand above lit areas).......PLUS, they wield something.....a talisman? weapon? consider the dead too. The Wasteland is more like a Graveyard. the animal statues appear to be protecting some red thing...perhaps a symbol of knowledge or wisdom.......or even power.... they seem like gargoyles more than anything else, and their purpose was to scare away evil spirits.

Take a look at the architecture in the background. What influences do you see?
Haha yeah man my imagination goes crazy with these topics. Think you smack on with the gargoyles didn't even cross my mind that. As for the old men looks like there holding a potion bottle/jug ?? Sorcery?? They look bit like old man tsung. And the dead pool women statues yeah your theory makes sense. Ummm background scenery as in wastelands? Isn't that the evil monastery in the background? And the bones around the statues fallen warriors I'm guessing. Should YouTube tmk out world tours pretty funny and insightful

I'll checkout Tours. It's seems pretty apparent a lot of the structures are influened by Far Eastern styling. Is it a pagoda?, or whatever they're called. Thinking the gargoyle idea is off too now. The creatures were probably taken out of some Japanese mythology book or something similar. Yeah, i'll watch tym tours you recommended.

Watched outworld tours. Though I was impressed with the Dead Pool description, I was underwhelmed with everything else. Overall, I was disappointed. In no particular order.....1) The tower, monitored by the purple warlock appears to have been, or still is a portal in itself. I'd think it would be used by those guys to travel through the clouds. They hover like clouds too. The intricate pattern of holes suggests to me much more about the opening. The rolling clouds also reinforce this. 2) I hoped more images in the Armory, like the faces, (Kintaro?), the 'fist emblems on the sheds?, or how Reptile makes the floor move. 3) Who is seated in the balconies of the arena? 4) What about the fact that a few days pass in an hour or so? 5) Who are those two guys that died in the Forest? 6) Back to Kahn's Arena, what is that scepter he's holding? Also, was it ever explained what happened to Kano and Sonya. Intertwined snake symbols or something are also visible............I can probably think of more.