What's new

General/Other Sub Zero Kombo... Whiffing

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The problem with the combo as people already mentioned is that it's stance specific, but my main problem with it is if you're going to land it off a JIP, why not simply do B12~Freeze, NJP, Dash 1, Dash B12, 212~Slide for 38%? Sure the other combo does 4% more damage, you have to ask yourself is 1 Bar worth 4% extra damage? If you need 4% kill, just play footsies and wait for a D4 opening and then do 212 or 224 to chip them out.
this... or do JiP b12 Freeze JiP b121 throw. pretty sure that is 41%... the only way to really avoid that setup is to duck.

Dark_Rob

Noob
The problem with the combo as people already mentioned is that it's stance specific, but my main problem with it is if you're going to land it off a JIP, why not simply do B12~Freeze, NJP, Dash 1, Dash B12, 212~Slide for 38%?
The main reason I assume is scenario based. Say you do a JIP combo and the JIP,2,2 portion is blocked or just the JIP,2 is blocked. You would have possibly already hit 4 in preperation to cancel with clone at the end. The EN ice beam gives you a chance to quickly convert upon recognizing a hit of maybe the last 2 giving you a chance to get damage. So what was initially going to be a blocked JIP,2,2,4,ice clone could be converted into a hit 2,2,4,En ice beam. Thats my best guess, otherwise yea, Id never choose to purposely do this instead of a meterless combo.

Somberness thanks for sharing some frame math on this, the community would be lost without you.

Truth

Noob
The main reason I assume is scenario based. Say you do a JIP combo and the JIP,2,2 portion is blocked or just the JIP,2 is blocked. You would have possibly already hit 4 in preperation to cancel with clone at the end. The EN ice beam gives you a chance to quickly convert upon recognizing a hit of maybe the last 2 giving you a chance to get damage. So what was initially going to be a blocked JIP,2,2,4,ice clone could be converted into a hit 2,2,4,En ice beam. Thats my best guess, otherwise yea, Id never choose to purposely do this instead of a meterless combo.

Somberness thanks for sharing some frame math on this, the community would be lost without you.
I could see that being the case, but hitconfirming off of one hit seems pretty tough to do. Like you said, it's definitely scenario based, but the best scenario for it be actually getting very close to the corner (3/4ths of the screen, potentially even half screen distance away from the corner) then land this combo 1 bar combo, allowing you to easily whiff the (B1)2, and yet be able to hit them 214~slide for 44%.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I'm not sure this would be worth the meter even if it landed consistently (which it doesn't). You basically already have a 41-42% mid-screen any time you want it for no meter....

this... or do JiP b12 Freeze JiP b121 throw. pretty sure that is 41%... the only way to really avoid that setup is to duck.
That's right. Actually, that'd be worth 44%. And really, it's actually harder to avoid that setup than to simply duck. You have to tech the throw. So you're making a read and still only getting a 50% chance of breaking the throw. And again, it's at the risk of doubling or nearly tripling (X-Ray) the damage output. It's pretty dumb to try to avoid it unless it's gonna kill you either way.

So take your +40% that way when you want it. Or even the traditional 38% BnB would be a better option. A bar of Sub-Zero's meter isn't worth 4%. His X-Ray is too much of a game-changer and EH Slide has better situational value. EH Freeze is rarely worth doing in my experience. Off the top of my head... the only time I'd really ever prioritize its use would be in the Mileena match-up.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I've tested the combo again this morning. Here's all you need to know about the 42% combo. (jump punch, 2, 2, 4 / Ice Beam >> {Away+1}, 2 - 2, 1, 2 / Slide.)

Open Stance: \ / or / \ Has a chance.
Closed Stance: / / or \ \ Not gonna work.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
However I bet if Ono put out a street fighter game with these kinds of problems the SF community would string him up by his thumbs.
Not quite the same but right now Street Fighter X Tekken is a broken mess. Every day theres a new glitch or infinite combo on the front page of SRK and Capcoms already working on a patch for it. For MK10 NRS just needs to stop listening to the Nerf this Buff this crowd and start putting more resources into catching and fixing bugs and such. Not to mention get a new engine, the Unreal Engine is just not designed for games like this.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Not quite the same but right now Street Fighter X Tekken is a broken mess. Every day theres a new glitch or infinite combo on the front page of SRK and Capcoms already working on a patch for it. For MK10 NRS just needs to stop listening to the Nerf this Buff this crowd and start putting more resources into catching and fixing bugs and such. Not to mention get a new engine, the Unreal Engine is just not designed for games like this.
LOL No Joke, the same day after I wrote that I was talking to Klassy Sasquatch and he was telling me broken SF X Tekken was and I remembered making that statement and I felt like a dumbass haha.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
LOL No Joke, the same day after I wrote that I was talking to Klassy Sasquatch and he was telling me broken SF X Tekken was and I remembered making that statement and I felt like a dumbass haha.
Lol yeah dude its bad, I think ive played 1 night of it since I bought it and quickly decided "Well, Im not playing this again till it gets patched."

Tong Lung

What is a breaker?
You could throw in the ice claw reset every now and then for 46% midscreen: jip,22,freeze,ice claw,b12,212,slide. I know that it's not guaranteed but it's a nice option if you're feeling bold.