What's new

General/Other Sub Zero Kombo... Whiffing

Enenra

Go to hell.
Sub Zero's JIP 224 EN Freeze dash B12 212 slide does 42%. Midscreen.

Problem? It whiffs. A lot. When it does hit, the 42% one bar kombo could help Sub Zero immensely. Can anyone help this be more consistent? A 42% midscreen one bar kombo would be immaculate for Sub Zero.

Dark_Rob

Noob

Problem? It whiffs. A lot. When it does hit, the 42% one bar kombo could help Sub Zero immensely. Can anyone help this be more consistent? A 42% midscreen one bar kombo would be immaculate for Sub Zero.
The problem is, and I hate to say it, MK9. The distance and height at which the EN Ice beam freezes the opponent is random. Sometimes they are close enough so that the follow up will hit, sometimes they are not.
The best alternative if you really need the damage is 2,2,4,EN Ice beam,foward jump,dash in,2,1,2,slide. Sometimes you can end it with 2,1,4,slide but again the height they get frozen at is as random as the distance so at least 50% of the time the 4 will whiff. 2,1,2,slide is always guaranteed.

Enenra

Go to hell.
The problem is, and I hate to say it, MK9. The distance and height at which the EN Ice beam freezes the opponent is random. Sometimes they are close enough so that the follow up will hit, sometimes they are not.
The best alternative if you really need the damage is 2,2,4,EN Ice beam,foward jump,dash in,2,1,2,slide. Sometimes you can end it with 2,1,4,slide but again the height they get frozen at is as random as the distance so at least 50% of the time the 4 will whiff. 2,1,2,slide is always guaranteed.
That is very disappointing. Sigh.

Thanks for responding though Rob :)

Dark_Rob

Noob
That is very disappointing. Sigh.

Thanks for responding though Rob :)
I was dissapointed myself. Tom Brady and I tested this relentlessly not to long ago and the conclusion was inescapable. Random. This game makes me shake my damn head. Alot.

The problem with the alternative combo I gave you is, although its consistant and hits everytime, it barely does much more damage than a meterless midscreen combo so it isnt really worth the meter. Fail sauce supreme with cheese.

Enenra

Go to hell.
I was dissapointed myself. Tom Brady and I tested this relentlessly not to long ago and the conclusion was inescapable. Random. This game makes me shake my damn head. Alot.

The problem with the alternative combo I gave you is, although its consistant and hits everytime, it barely does much more damage than a meterless midscreen combo so it isnt really worth the meter. Fail sauce supreme with cheese.
I still love MK, but NRS is still in the first month of game development. Eh. Hopefully MK10 will be improved...

Dark_Rob

Noob
I still love MK, but NRS is still in the first month of game development. Eh. Hopefully MK10 will be improved...
I still love MK as well. But the MK community is extremely tolerant and forgiving. We put up with input bugs,meter drain glitches, random advantage bugs,block infinites, block traps,guaranteed resets, random combo timings and god knows what else and we accept it, probably because even with all of this its still loads better than the crap we had to deal with in previous games.

However I bet if Ono put out a street fighter game with these kinds of problems the SF community would string him up by his thumbs.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele

It's one of those stance specific combos (Open stance only).

Dark_Rob

Noob
Interesting. Perhaps the one thing I did not test. I still feel the problem is the EN ice beam, but Im not perfect and I could be wrong. Can someone test this and report back to corroberate this? Infra dead if your right about this Il give you a free premium membership.

CYracks

Command Grabber
I thought it was this at first. Then I had more successes by mashing forward while doing EX-freeze so I'd have more time to dash forward and preform the Back 1, 2. However, this combo still seems to have random distance when the opponent is frozen.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
When i do it, i just dash in once and do the b1,2 and the hotbox on the 2 just hits them automatically.

Enenra

Go to hell.
I still love MK as well. But the MK community is extremely tolerant and forgiving. We put up with input bugs,meter drain glitches, random advantage bugs,block infinites, block traps,guaranteed resets, random combo timings and god knows what else and we accept it, probably because even with all of this its still loads better than the crap we had to deal with in previous games.

However I bet if Ono put out a street fighter game with these kinds of problems the SF community would string him up by his thumbs.
It's funny because it's true. We are extremely lenient, every game developer's dream kommunity. I just wish they'd give back and fix some of the dumb things like the 224 en ice beam SOMETIMES working. That's dumb.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Yea its not working in the non default stance. But in the default stance I can get it nearly every time by doing the b12 very quickly right after the dash. And I mean you have to do it RIGHT after dash. Input the buttons sooner than later and its working for me.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Dark_Rob I'm getting it about 7-8/10 times right now. RampaginDragon is right, you have to just be FAST.

Right now I feel like I miss because I do the B12 before the dash is finished, otherwise it seems pretty consistent but requires some serious execution.

As far as I can tell. :confused:

Somberness

Lights
Chest facing you - 2 hits on frame 9, 1 hits on frame 34, 4 hits on frame 62, ice beam starts on frame 69 and hits on 98, you recover on frame 155
Back facing you - 2 hits on frame 9, 1 hits on frame 35, 4 hits on frame 62, ice beam starts on frame 69 and hits on 100, you recover on frame 157

Conclusion: You'd think that the recovery on the ice beam would be the same since you used it at the same time but what matters is when it hits the opponent. I'm not sure why 1 hitting on a different frame changes it, or if it even matters. The beam is even slightly higher on the first example, and the the opponent is also left slightly higher in the air. This could be because the animation changes for the different stances. 2,(1) is strange that it does not have the red limb in practice mode, maybe that means something. Short answer: it doesn't work when his back is facing you.

I really don't want to test both stances for everything. :mad:

edit: Well well, 2,1 with his back facing you hits on frame 34 vs. a blocking character, just like the other stance. That's actually a bad thing, it would be +1 on block if it hit on frame 35.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Chest facing you - 2 hits on frame 9, 1 hits on frame 34, 4 hits on frame 62, ice beam starts on frame 69 and hits on 98, you recover on frame 155
Back facing you - 2 hits on frame 9, 1 hits on frame 35, 4 hits on frame 62, ice beam starts on frame 69 and hits on 100, you recover on frame 157

Conclusion: You'd think that the recovery on the ice beam would be the same since you used it at the same time but what matters is when it hits the opponent. I'm not sure why 1 hitting on a different frame changes it, or if it even matters. The beam is even slightly higher on the first example, and the the opponent is also left slightly higher in the air. This could be because the animation changes for the different stances. 2,(1) is strange that it does not have the red limb in practice mode, maybe that means something. Short answer: it doesn't work when his back is facing you.

I really don't want to test both stances for everything. :mad:
Really appreciate you Somberness. You tha man.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Dark_Rob Somberness RampaginDragon
I just noticed that 224 keeps you in the stance you did it in, ie default stance 224 ends with Sub Zero in default stance, but when you 224 freeze/en freeze your character flips stances. Possible reason for the stance specificity on the kombo?

Somberness

Lights
Whatever it is, the end result is the beam not hitting at a good time and looks like, not starting from the closest spot.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
42% for 1 bar and chance of drop due to STANCE? ... lol, no thanks.

I'll stick with B121 into F4 freeze, throw, 212 clone/freeze, 21 pressure, D4, etc
and 22 freeze NJP 1 B12 212 slide

Enenra

Go to hell.
42% for 1 bar and chance of drop due to STANCE? ... lol, no thanks.

I'll stick with B121 into F4 freeze, throw, 212 clone/freeze, 21 pressure, D4, etc
and 22 freeze NJP 1 B12 212 slide
We're trying to see if we can get it to work 100% of the time. Thus far, it's looking like if you are fast and in open stance it will land. You're telling me 42% isn't worth a bar? That's silliness.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
We're trying to see if we can get it to work 100% of the time. Thus far, it's looking like if you are fast and in open stance it will land. You're telling me 42% isn't worth a bar? That's silliness.
Not when you waste it b/c you're in the wrong stance. IDK about you guys, but I don't pay any attention to which way my character is facing during the heat of the fight, I'm too busy watching the opponent.

Truth

Noob
The problem with the combo as people already mentioned is that it's stance specific, but my main problem with it is if you're going to land it off a JIP, why not simply do B12~Freeze, NJP, Dash 1, Dash B12, 212~Slide for 38%? Sure the other combo does 4% more damage, you have to ask yourself is 1 Bar worth 4% extra damage? If you need 4% kill, just play footsies and wait for a D4 opening and then do 212 or 224 to chip them out.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
:confused: This game is whack.
Lol tell me something i dont know

This happens to alot of different characters too. Some Ermac double teleport combos are stance specific and Kung Lao's 24 spin whiffs if you and your opponent have opposite stances. Really sucks for Kung Lao, seeing as you just basically whiffed a spin at point blank range -.-