What's new

Guide - Cryomancer Sub-Zero CRYOMANCER Guide

Just saw the recent conversation (for some reason the thread stopped notifying updates), just wanted to throw some things there:

The trick for the B2 run is realizing that the time to connect it is longer than it looks like as others said, you can run some steps before connecting and doing it too early will make you miss so just take your time and once you're used to it, it will be muscular memory.

Also, B2 run is only your goto midscreen option either if you started with B2 or after an EX Hammer launcher. If you freeze your opponent there are more damaging options:

F122, F122, Cold Blooded, Hammer is stamina free and deals more damage (delay the second F122 a bit while pressing forward, it will miss if you use it too soon). You can also use F122, B2, Cold Blooded, Hammer for even more damage BUT that version is tricky to connect and sometimes will send the opponent the other way so I recommend to only use it if you're close to the corner but not close enough for the double B2.

Given how Cold Blooded (F42T) cancels on hit and how Ice Hammer has better damage, more advantage and is an untechable Hard Knock Down, I recommend to never use Frost Bomb after Cold Blooded as there is no reward for doing so. Same goes for the EX versions of both moves, the EX Hammer launch is easier to connect.

He doesn't have a vortex (at least not the way I understand a vortex which is a combo you can loop multiple times from a low or and OH which he can't). He can use meter for a reset but if you start with a low and want to go for the reset, it's 2 bars (that's why I say this isn't a loopable tool) and you don't want to spend 2 bars in an average damage combo with such a meter-dependent character.

If you want to use all 3 bars in the corner, B2>B2>Cold Blooded>X-Ray deals 53 damage and can't be broken once the X-Ray connects (use the X-Ray command right after the daggers connect). I don't recommend it anyway (unless you think they will break and you can win the round with it) when you can go for 47/48 damage for 1 bar with B2>B2>Cold Blooded>Ex Hammer>(Optional and risky for the 48 version)Jump In Punch>Cold Blooded > Hammer.

This is a common misunderstanding because GM has the klone, UB has the parry and armor and Cryo has weapons, but Cryo DIES if he goes head in on offense. Cryo at his current state is a punish based character that once he opens the opponents gets a LOT of momentum because all of his combos end in a long advantage hard knock down. But you can't go rushdown mode with him as his neutral game sucks and he's very vulnerable to pressure.

I want to apologize Tanno as maybe quoting so many of your posts to make corrections looked like I was being a douche but that wasn't my intention, you happened to be the guy offering the most help so most of the posts were yours and I just wanted to complement your tips with the experience I have and help too.

Some extra general tips with Cryo to what has been said:

- Learn to use the Slide as a movement tool. Most people don't realize it because GM hides behind the klone all the time, but the slide makes SZ the best non teleporting character in terms of movement (second best since the Fridge arrived) and better than many teleporters. The slide goes under high AND MID projectiles, even some of the big ones (but not the biggest ones) and he can maneuver around zoning from anyone without a low projectile.

- Save meter. Your meterless combos deal good damage and while sometimes you will want to get extra damage, you're going to need the armor provided by your meter to give you more opportunities on reads. Take in mind that many times you finish the round mid combo so the total damage of some combos won't matter so much and it's more about how many times you can open the opponent. Going for the 40+ combos only change how many extra "check hits" you will need to connect. Being able to open the opponent more times could be better than increasing the damage but still needing to open him 3 times anyway. Also, breakers.

- Learn to play after releasing the final hammer on each combo:

The hammer gives you a free jump in punch, beating any wake up by a meterless opponent and being able to land and block if you read an armored wake up (or instead of jumping you can stay in place, take a slight step back and throw a raw hammer as a check and trade 12 damage with whatever they throw, but don't try this if they can armor launch you from a distance). In the corner the same applies to neutral jump punch.

Opponent will then try to backdash or delay their wakeups so you don't get momentum, but there are a few option selects to try to cover scenarios (for example F1B2 after the jumping punch will result in F12 if it connects for a safe check hit confirmable into a launcher, and B2 if they evaded or delayed for an OH that will catch them if they backdash).

The most important part with Cryo is being able to optimize the momentum after every combo and knowing when to use your armor (Ex Bomb may look like an inferior version of the Ex Hammer but its armor is harder to break as the move is much faster for example).

Hope this is helpful, I've been preparing a full Cryo guide for some time but I'm waiting to see the final state of the variation after the final patch before finishing it (hopefully the neutral game is addressed).
Thanks for the semi mini guide . Really looking forward to read your full guide. This really helps. Cheers

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
@Lokheit , speaking about the Frost Bomb, I wouldn't rule this out. I have noticed that this Frost Bomb distances the blocked opponent and you away. This is, also, good, because you wouldn't want to get caught to his momentum. As a GM, I use it in the corner to distance myself from my opponent, so that I can do D+4> B+2 to create the Ice Klone as fast as possible, just in case the combo fails.

About the Slide, I use this rarely, because I avoid this. This doesn't give much time to recover, so that I could block to defend my ass there. I use it, when my opponent is within Slide's range and tries to zone on me or he jumps or I try to avoid their teleporting attacks, like Goro's skydrop Stomp. I use it only very rarely in the open, or as the combo ender after the 123/B12/F33/B33.

As you might have noticed, I'm a wary person regarding these stuff.

Lokheit

Noob
@Lokheit , speaking about the Frost Bomb, I wouldn't rule this out. I have noticed that this Frost Bomb distances the blocked opponent and you away. This is, also, good, because you wouldn't want to get caught to his momentum. As a GM, I use it in the corner to distance myself from my opponent, so that I can do D+4> B+2 to create the Ice Klone as fast as possible, just in case the combo fails.

About the Slide, I use this rarely, because I avoid this. This doesn't give much time to recover, so that I could block to defend my ass there. I use it, when my opponent is within Slide's range and tries to zone on me or he jumps or I try to avoid their teleporting attacks, like Goro's skydrop Stomp. I use it only very rarely in the open, or as the combo ender after the 123/B12/F33/B33.

As you might have noticed, I'm a wary person regarding these stuff.
The thing is, frost bomb can only be used after Cold Blooded if they don't block. If they block you can't cancel it into a special. That's why I pointed it just for Cold Blooded as only on hit you will be able to cancel and in that case, hammer is better. In many other situations the bomb is a good tool of course.

About the slide, if you're at full screen and time it properly, it's very useful to go under projectiles and you're still at more advantage than them if you did it soon enough, and if you're a couple of steps closer you evade projectiles and hit for 8 damage and untechable hard knock down, 30+ frames advantage IIRC. Of course throwing kamikaze slides if they're not shooting or jumping is too risky and you will be punished for that, so you should use it as a counter measure, but when you get used to it, it's an amazing maneuver tool (there are also a couple of "slide over them" tricks and gimmicks after a knockdown).

Last edited: