What's new

Guide - Cryomancer Sub-Zero CRYOMANCER Guide

B2 is your overhead launcher, you'll need to learn it. It isn't too bad though, the run cancel should not be held very long. Remember, runs can be cancelled with normals so just run and hit f4 when in range
Thanks for the advice, will try to learn it. When I just practise the run cancel without the combo, it goes allright, but when doing it in a combo it is harder.

Also, is b12xxex hammer -->b2-->run cancel-->f321+3 the bnb combo for Sub Zero to execute when not in the corner?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Thanks for the advice, will try to learn it. When I just practise the run cancel without the combo, it goes allright, but when doing it in a combo it is harder.

Also, is b12xxex hammer -->b2-->run cancel-->f321+3 the bnb combo for Sub Zero to execute when not in the corner?
This is a good combination for BnB. There are a lot to consider there. You may want to consider such combos there, just in case they defend their ass there:

Notation: The T means the Throw.

F42T> Ice Hammer
F42T> Frost Bomb
B12> Ice Hammer
B12> Frost Bomb

You may add the EX to send them in air to execute the kombos, like the one you found there.

The B12> EX Hammer> B2> RUN> F42T> Ice Hammer gives 40% DMG.

The Ice Hammer can be combined and cannot be laggy no matter what in any combos.

This is a good combination for BnB. There are a lot to consider there. You may want to consider such combos there, just in case they defend their ass there:

F42T> Ice Hammer
F42T> Frost Bomb
B12> Ice Hammer
B12> Frost Bomb

You may add the EX to send them in air to execute the kombos, like the one you found there.

The Ice Hammer can be combined and cannot be laggy no matter what in any combos.
Thanks for the tips, going to practise these.

Thanks again

Tanno

Try this combo in the corner:

B2> B2> F42T> EX Ice Hammer> F42T> EX Iceball (the normal is laggy, so use EX)> F42T> EX Ice Hammer> 123> Slide. 50%!

F42T> Ice Hammer
F42T> Frost Bomb
B12> Ice Hammer
B12> Frost Bomb

Does the ice hammer combo at the end?

Tanno

Just checked something else. If you start with F42T> your combo you found, this combo will be 42% DMG. ;)

Tanno

I found another AWP. This EX Ice Hammer works also as an Anti-Wakeup Parry. If timed right, it will send your opponent in air. ;)

WATCHD0G

Noob
Thanks for the tips, going to practise these.

Thanks again
if you are still having problems with the run..Here's how i learned the B2 run combo

when you do B2 immediately input the run but then hold forward, that makes it easier move into F4 string
also i found that the runtime is not as strict as you might think, let the run go and actually let yourself miss then keep reducing the time until you connect and then get more comfortable from there...

I just picked him up a week ago and this is how i learned it, hope this helps (if you still need it lol)

Tanno

Another tip for the B2> RUN is to get used with the B2> B2. If you do the B2, then you know when to do the run. You just need to time them down. If you see Sub Zero to return back to his stance, then it's the moment to do the run input. While you run, hold F to do the F42T.

if you are still having problems with the run..Here's how i learned the B2 run combo

when you do B2 immediately input the run but then hold forward, that makes it easier move into F4 string
also i found that the runtime is not as strict as you might think, let the run go and actually let yourself miss then keep reducing the time until you connect and then get more comfortable from there...

I just picked him up a week ago and this is how i learned it, hope this helps (if you still need it lol)
Thanks for the tip, am definitely going to try that out. I also read somewhere that it could help if you change the block button to r1 since it is more precise then the r2 button on the ps4 pad.

Hey Peeps, am still practising with Sub Zero and the run cancel is definitely improving. I also played a few online matches and I am improving in that area as well, but it is still hard to execute the combos online.

I also have a question. In a lot of situations you are not in the face of the opponent, often there is some space between the players. In that respect, what is a good way to cover that distance. I mean I cannot find a string that covers a significant amount of distance with the first hit. My questions is: how do you cover the distance between you and your opponent. I hope it isnt too broad of a question

Thanks in advance

Tanno

Hello,

Glad you almost got used with Cryo Sub Zero. You need to practice the combos first, and then you'll understand that the combos can be executed in the same way as in the offline matches. You only need to learn them off by heart. This is how we can execute the combos with ease.

Speaking about the distance, many players do know the other characters, who might be their opponents, so they distance themselves for safety's sake. You only need to get near them either by run and instant block, or by slide. By instant block, I mean to help you protect yourself from incoming zoning attacks. They will do anything in their power to prevent you from getting near them. Tip: Some characters' projectile attacks, like Sub Zero's Ice ball, CAN'T hurt you, if you simply duck WITHOUT blocking.

You only need to know WHEN to force his momentum off, so that he will panic about how to deal against you.

Cryo Sub Zero has a variety of mixups that would serve as a vortex. You only need to figure them out.

Hello,

Glad you almost got used with Cryo Sub Zero. You need to practice the combos first, and then you'll understand that the combos can be executed in the same way as in the offline matches. You only need to learn them off by heart. This is how we can execute the combos with ease.

Speaking about the distance, many players do know the other characters, who might be their opponents, so they distance themselves for safety's sake. You only need to get near them either by run and instant block, or by slide. By instant block, I mean to help you protect yourself from incoming zoning attacks. They will do anything in their power to prevent you from getting near them. Tip: Some characters' projectile attacks, like Sub Zero's Ice ball, CAN'T hurt you, if you simply duck WITHOUT blocking.

You only need to know WHEN to force his momentum off, so that he will panic about how to deal against you.

Cryo Sub Zero has a variety of mixups that would serve as a vortex. You only need to figure them out.
Okay, cheers for the tips. Will definitely try those out.

Hello,

Are there also some attacks that are good when you are are at distance from your opponent

Tanno

Those would be the B12 and F42T (T for Throw, which would be either the L1 or the 1+3). Try those small combinations to get close to your opponent and to press him/her.

B12> Frost Bomb
B12> Ice Hammer
F42T> Ice Hammer
F42T> Frost Bomb

If you see your opponent get dizzy with B12 or get caught with F42T, try the Iceball after the B12 or the EX Ice Hammer after the F42T. The rest is up to you how you wreck him/her out. You might also want to do EX Iceball to confuse your opponent, and keep pressing him/her.

You might see your opponent that jumps to avoid your Iceball, because he doesn't know how to deal against you. This will be your chance to freeze him during his jump, if timed correctly. The EX Iceball is, also, very useful against their zoning. If they throw you anything (except of the interactions). This EX Iceball destroys their projectiles and freezes them instantly.

But, if you get very close to your opponent and he still blocks, avoid no matter what the slide. Use the slide only as the combo ender. The Slide is, also, useful against the jumping characters, except of those that have downward attacks, like Kitana's.

Those would be the B12 and F42T (T for Throw, which would be either the L1 or the 1+3). Try those small combinations to get close to your opponent and to press him/her.

B12> Frost Bomb
B12> Ice Hammer
F42T> Ice Hammer
F42T> Frost Bomb

If you see your opponent get dizzy with B12 or get caught with F42T, try the Iceball after the B12 or the EX Ice Hammer after the F42T. The rest is up to you how you wreck him/her out. You might also want to do EX Iceball to confuse your opponent, and keep pressing him/her.

You might see your opponent that jumps to avoid your Iceball, because he doesn't know how to deal against you. This will be your chance to freeze him during his jump, if timed correctly. The EX Iceball is, also, very useful against their zoning. If they throw you anything (except of the interactions). This EX Iceball destroys their projectiles and freezes them instantly.

But, if you get very close to your opponent and he still blocks, avoid no matter what the slide. Use the slide only as the combo ender. The Slide is, also, useful against the jumping characters, except of those that have downward attacks, like Kitana's.
Cheers, for those very helpfull tips, really appreciate it.

Tanno

Cheers, for those very helpfull tips, really appreciate it.
np, bro. It's but a matter of experience. If you play Sub Zero for a longer time, then you'll understand why. ;)

Cryo Sub Zero's philosophy is of the offensive, so be careful of how much aggressive you get against them.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Sub zeros biggest problem as a whole is that he isn't really equipped well to handle the neutral , to be honest his best tool for getting in is probly d4. And what I mean by that is when your in the neutral and trying to get your positioning , d4 is your longest reaching quick normal. So you hunt with it. You step in and out staying right around the range of your d4. When you throw it out there - on block you can back dash /walk back /armor if they press buttons , and on hit your around +17 (if I remember correctly) at that point you are free to run in and begin pressure/mix up etc.
also his 12 has deceptively good range if you are comfortable whiffing a normal.
Begin the string knowing the 1 will whiff but the 2 will connect, from there you can ex hammer etc.
When your up close choose wisely as to when you press buttons , subs pokes are very slow , when you do block something safe but still negative , don't be afraid to stagger things like 11 and f12 to open them up.
cryo is a punishing character and frustrating them into doing something unsafe is a big part of his gameplan.
That being said you are going to have a hard time against characters with safe specials and strings , and characters the severely out range you

Sub zeros biggest problem as a whole is that he isn't really equipped well to handle the neutral , to be honest his best tool for getting in is probly d4. And what I mean by that is when your in the neutral and trying to get your positioning , d4 is your longest reaching quick normal. So you hunt with it. You step in and out staying right around the range of your d4. When you throw it out there - on block you can back dash /walk back /armor if they press buttons , and on hit your around +17 (if I remember correctly) at that point you are free to run in and begin pressure/mix up etc.
also his 12 has deceptively good range if you are comfortable whiffing a normal.
Begin the string knowing the 1 will whiff but the 2 will connect, from there you can ex hammer etc.
When your up close choose wisely as to when you press buttons , subs pokes are very slow , when you do block something safe but still negative , don't be afraid to stagger things like 11 and f12 to open them up.
cryo is a punishing character and frustrating them into doing something unsafe is a big part of his gameplan.
That being said you are going to have a hard time against characters with safe specials and strings , and characters the severely out range you
Cheers, will keep it in mind

Lokheit

Noob
Just saw the recent conversation (for some reason the thread stopped notifying updates), just wanted to throw some things there:

The trick for the B2 run is realizing that the time to connect it is longer than it looks like as others said, you can run some steps before connecting and doing it too early will make you miss so just take your time and once you're used to it, it will be muscular memory.

Also, B2 run is only your goto midscreen option either if you started with B2 or after an EX Hammer launcher. If you freeze your opponent there are more damaging options:

F122, F122, Cold Blooded, Hammer is stamina free and deals more damage (delay the second F122 a bit while pressing forward, it will miss if you use it too soon). You can also use F122, B2, Cold Blooded, Hammer for even more damage BUT that version is tricky to connect and sometimes will send the opponent the other way so I recommend to only use it if you're close to the corner but not close enough for the double B2.

F42T> Ice Hammer
F42T> Frost Bomb
Given how Cold Blooded (F42T) cancels on hit and how Ice Hammer has better damage, more advantage and is an untechable Hard Knock Down, I recommend to never use Frost Bomb after Cold Blooded as there is no reward for doing so. Same goes for the EX versions of both moves, the EX Hammer launch is easier to connect.

He doesn't have a vortex (at least not the way I understand a vortex which is a combo you can loop multiple times from a low or and OH which he can't). He can use meter for a reset but if you start with a low and want to go for the reset, it's 2 bars (that's why I say this isn't a loopable tool) and you don't want to spend 2 bars in an average damage combo with such a meter-dependent character.

Try this combo in the corner:

B2> B2> F42T> EX Ice Hammer> F42T> EX Iceball (the normal is laggy, so use EX)> F42T> EX Ice Hammer> 123> Slide. 50%!
If you want to use all 3 bars in the corner, B2>B2>Cold Blooded>X-Ray deals 53 damage and can't be broken once the X-Ray connects (use the X-Ray command right after the daggers connect). I don't recommend it anyway (unless you think they will break and you can win the round with it) when you can go for 47/48 damage for 1 bar with B2>B2>Cold Blooded>Ex Hammer>(Optional and risky for the 48 version)Jump In Punch>Cold Blooded > Hammer.

Cryo Sub Zero's philosophy is of the offensive, so be careful of how much aggressive you get against them.
This is a common misunderstanding because GM has the klone, UB has the parry and armor and Cryo has weapons, but Cryo DIES if he goes head in on offense. Cryo at his current state is a punish based character that once he opens the opponents gets a LOT of momentum because all of his combos end in a long advantage hard knock down. But you can't go rushdown mode with him as his neutral game sucks and he's very vulnerable to pressure.

I want to apologize Tanno as maybe quoting so many of your posts to make corrections looked like I was being a douche but that wasn't my intention, you happened to be the guy offering the most help so most of the posts were yours and I just wanted to complement your tips with the experience I have and help too.

Some extra general tips with Cryo to what has been said:

- Learn to use the Slide as a movement tool. Most people don't realize it because GM hides behind the klone all the time, but the slide makes SZ the best non teleporting character in terms of movement (second best since the Fridge arrived) and better than many teleporters. The slide goes under high AND MID projectiles, even some of the big ones (but not the biggest ones) and he can maneuver around zoning from anyone without a low projectile.

- Save meter. Your meterless combos deal good damage and while sometimes you will want to get extra damage, you're going to need the armor provided by your meter to give you more opportunities on reads. Take in mind that many times you finish the round mid combo so the total damage of some combos won't matter so much and it's more about how many times you can open the opponent. Going for the 40+ combos only change how many extra "check hits" you will need to connect. Being able to open the opponent more times could be better than increasing the damage but still needing to open him 3 times anyway. Also, breakers.

- Learn to play after releasing the final hammer on each combo:

The hammer gives you a free jump in punch, beating any wake up by a meterless opponent and being able to land and block if you read an armored wake up (or instead of jumping you can stay in place, take a slight step back and throw a raw hammer as a check and trade 12 damage with whatever they throw, but don't try this if they can armor launch you from a distance). In the corner the same applies to neutral jump punch.

Opponent will then try to backdash or delay their wakeups so you don't get momentum, but there are a few option selects to try to cover scenarios (for example F1B2 after the jumping punch will result in F12 if it connects for a safe check hit confirmable into a launcher, and B2 if they evaded or delayed for an OH that will catch them if they backdash).

The most important part with Cryo is being able to optimize the momentum after every combo and knowing when to use your armor (Ex Bomb may look like an inferior version of the Ex Hammer but its armor is harder to break as the move is much faster for example).

Hope this is helpful, I've been preparing a full Cryo guide for some time but I'm waiting to see the final state of the variation after the final patch before finishing it (hopefully the neutral game is addressed).

Last edited: