What's new

Streets Of Rage 4 announced

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I love how Axel is rocking a beard and a gut lol. Definitely brings back Gensis memories. What platform is this coming out on? Give me Pit Fighter, Golden Axe, and Shinobi next.
Shiinnnoooobbiiii

I'm kind of hyped about this remake, even though I think they're going to get a pile of hate in 2018 for Blaze looking like an amalgamation of all the problematic female stereotypes.

This kind of makes up for Shaq-Fu being re-released as a beatemup. I miss games like this and Fighting Force.

It might be controversial, but I don't think GoldenAxe was actually a good game -- purely on game play. I think they had good marketing and branding. But I feel like the other games in that genre were way ahead :)

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Was Die Hard Arcade a good beat'em up game? I remember playing and liking it as a kid, but I thought almost any game was good as a kid. As a kid I thought Justice League Task Force was the coolest.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Shiinnnoooobbiiii

I'm kind of hyped about this remake, even though I think they're going to get a pile of hate in 2018 for Blaze looking like an amalgamation of all the problematic female stereotypes.

This kind of makes up for Shaq-Fu being re-released as a beatemup. I miss games like this and Fighting Force.

It might be controversial, but I don't think GoldenAxe was actually a good game -- purely on game play. I think they had good marketing and branding. But I feel like the other games in that genre were way ahead :)
I don't recall playing a lot of the 3d beatem ups beyond quick rentals so I can't really weigh in on that. Golden Axe was just sort of another flavor of the beat em up quarter munching arcade cabinets. There's better examples of that for sure but Golden Axe just happened to be popular enough to show up at my favorite hangouts as a kid (skating rings, movie theaters, arcades, restaurants, convenience stores) AND make it to home console. I really dug Knights of the Round, X-Men, Avengers, Altered Beast, Bad Dudes, Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden, Simpsons, and TMNT.

I wonder if contemporary FGC players even realize that the beat em up genre birthed the fighting game genre?

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I wonder if contemporary FGC players even realize that the beat em up genre birthed the fighting game genre?
I think it's tricky memory-wise because Karate Champ and the original Street Fighter came out before most of the games that are recognized as pillars of the beatemup genre.

P.S. that Simpsons game is still one of my favorite arcade games of all time.

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Shiinnnoooobbiiii

Somebody never got bikini dragon magic... lol

Nah it probably was the worst of the three on that Sega starter-pack multi-cartridge. SoR was clear winner for me though, one of the first games I used to speed run as a child.

This trailer makes me happy in Jack Nicholson ways.

Edit, also multiplayer meant golden axe often got more use than shinobi