What's new

Street Fighter x Tekken or SSFIV:AE?

Hemlock

Noob
Anybody have a strong preference either way?

What do you think of the gem system in SFxT? Is the story mode nearly as epic as MK?

Hemlock

Noob
-OR-

how about King of Fighters XIII?

(i'm thinking about playing new fighting game other than MK.)

kronspik

Noob
Story Mode doesn't exist in either game. Just arcade. Neither game really has a story.

SFxT gems add a lot of customization to the game, and they've patched out all of the bullshit. The game is VERY footsie and meter based. Meter is your lifeblood and your combo ability for many characters. I prefer it to SF4 now for a couple reasons.
1) Rolling in SFxT gives a way to get out of BS 50/50 setups that exist in SF4.
2) Meter is a lot more tactical in what you can use it for.
3) Less reliance on super tight links in order to do good combos.

However SFxT combos are a lot longer than SF4s and that can be frustrating when you have to watch a 15 sec combo video just because you got opened up. I really love how SF4 combos are usually quick and dirty. But they also tend to be a lot harder to execute. SF4 is getting patched soon so any complaints about unblockables will be null and void. I would still say SFxT is a more solid game though.

kronspik

Noob
-OR-

how about King of Fighters XIII?

(i'm thinking about playing new fighting game other than MK.)
KoF13's netcode is supposedly just as bad if not worse than MK9s. I don't know much about the game besides that, but if that's a turnoff then I would avoid it.

Hemlock

Noob
Story Mode doesn't exist in either game. Just arcade. Neither game really has a story.

SFxT gems add a lot of customization to the game, and they've patched out all of the bullshit. The game is VERY footsie and meter based. Meter is your lifeblood and your combo ability for many characters. I prefer it to SF4 now for a couple reasons.
1) Rolling in SFxT gives a way to get out of BS 50/50 setups that exist in SF4.
2) Meter is a lot more tactical in what you can use it for.
3) Less reliance on super tight links in order to do good combos.

However SFxT combos are a lot longer than SF4s and that can be frustrating when you have to watch a 15 sec combo video just because you got opened up. I really love how SF4 combos are usually quick and dirty. But they also tend to be a lot harder to execute. SF4 is getting patched soon so any complaints about unblockables will be null and void. I would still say SFxT is a more solid game though.
Thanks for this detailed explanation! I'm kind of thinking of going the SFxT route because of:

1) Gems look like they make things interesting
2) I like a lot of the Tekken characters
3) I like "easier" & "longer" combos
4) Loving the artwork

Do you have any thoughts on KoF XIII's gameplay mechanics?

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
If you're looking for story modes, I don't reckon you'll get satisfaction out of any of these.

As a fighter, I recommend SSFIVAE quite heavily, ditto for KoFXIII. I don't know much about SFxT as of late with the recent update, so I can't really talk about it.

KoFXIII may be the most well designed and polished 2D fighter of this generation, but it does come with some severe caveats that may make one reconsider a purchase.

KoFXIII has a really steep learning curve and execution barrier compared to SSFIVAE (which itself has more demanding execution than most things in MK), and it'll be a lot harder to find players locally. The netcode is simply unacceptable given the level of precision needed to play.
Street Fighter's well-balanced and relatively beginner friendly, not to mention its extremely large scene of players of all skill ranges.

To sum it all up, I'd recommend KoFXIII to an extreme fighting hobbyist looking for a challenge that knows they'll have people to play the game with them locally (in which case, they'd likely have the game themselves and would let you play it before you pay for it, anyway). For most others, SSFIV is highly recommended.

Rabbit

thugs bunny
AE is probably the best if you are looking for something that isn't too difficult to switch to. SFxT is fun with friends once in a while but imo it's not that fun playing seriously or online. KoF takes a while to be able to keep up with people who know how to play but it's a great game.

If you have a PS3 and PS+ AE is free to download. KoF used to be also but I'm not sure if it's still up anymore.