What's new

Strategy thread

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
There may not be a ton of Nightwolf players around but there are enough intelligent people around here in order to discuss strategies against certain matchups.

I want people who may have problems against certain matchups to post them here so we can have discussion on how to beat that character. Remember that every character is beatable and this is based on offline play.

Thanks

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I'd like to start the discussion with tips for fighting cyrax since I lost to one at SCR :(
Ok let's start with cyrax...we can talk about noob next.

Cyrax is a difficult matchup because of his ability to turtle out NW. These matchups could easily turn into a time out situation. In order for nightwolf to win this MU a few things need to happen:

1) learn the opponents bomb patterns and net patterns. Use reflect to build meter off of his nets and eh reflect to keep the life lead in your favor but be carefully to leave enough meter for a breaker just in case.

2) when you understand the patterns it's time for the arrows...if you can manage to hit cyrax with an arrow from full screen, the lightning is guaranteed...but it has to be from full screen. Mao lets say he throws a medium bomb then far bomb then net as a sample pattern. After the medium bomb shoot an arrow as he releases it. While he is inputting far bomb the arrow should hit giving you a free lightning. If your not full screen then a shoulder before a net and in between bombs is acceptable just beware the shoulder bait cause if he sucks it he gets 75%

3) make him teleport and punish it heavily with either standing 1(7x) 122 shoulder or d1 axe 1,(4x) 122 shoulder. If you use eh reflect to keep the life lead you should be able to eventually make him come to you with either dashes or teleport.

4) breaker at the right time...if he goes for a reset make sure to breaker after he uses a bar of meter for eh bomb...this will help you as the match goes on.

5) patients patients patients. You cannot just rush down cyrax because you will shoulder into a net eventually, you will eat a d4 into block strings, you have the tools to zone but it takes mucho patients to do it effectively.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Is Noob Saibot a tough time to NW ? I have my doubts, but ....
Yes noob makes NW life very hard. By not being able to reflect back to noob the only use is eh reflect...but it's hard to time because of how fast they come out. I don't have a ton of noob experience but I did fight noob at battle and brew in winners finals, losing two out of 3 matches. What I did to win was instead of jumping(which every noob player wants) I got close and dash d4 dash d3 my way in. I tried to space d4 to hit under his up shadow. When d4 connects I can dash in for f3 pressure...and once you get in you gotta stay in.

I'll post the videos as soon as they are available.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Any other thoughts?
I am new to NW, but I am finding the easiest matches so far, against Ermac, Reptile and Sub Zero.

I understand that Nightwolf may have to get a life lead against alot of characters and turtle the lead out, such as against smoke, and most rush down characters he has to go toe to toe with, like CSZ, and KL.

But yes, Cyrax can weird to fight, but if I remember properly, in the reflect guide, it said his bombs can be absorbed? Can you explain more on that?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I am new to NW, but I am finding the easiest matches so far, against Ermac, Reptile and Sub Zero.

I understand that Nightwolf may have to get a life lead against alot of characters and turtle the lead out, such as against smoke, and most rush down characters he has to go toe to toe with, like CSZ, and KL.

But yes, Cyrax can weird to fight, but if I remember properly, in the reflect guide, it said his bombs can be absorbed? Can you explain more on that?
Did I say that? If I did I was wrong. Bombs cannot be absorbed...only net.

Ermac and sub I think are 6-4 NW favor...reptile I'm not sure about...I think it's 5-5

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
Do any cyrax or noob players have an opinion? Any other matches people want to discuss?
i will try and get hold of mustard and see if he has anything to say about this matchup as well.

i know bombs can be shoulder charged on reaction.

far bombs can be countered with lightning

and obviously nets are reflected

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!

Rushdown SZ = impossible to beat! He gives me the biggest problems more so than any other character. hitting the clone with lightning worked, to some extent

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Against sub it's about spacing. U need to know the range of his attacks and know when to counter. If he does dash d4 u can double back dash and axe. Or u can back dash into lightning. By using lightning at the right time...you will make him jump eventually. You need to be ready to punish the jump.

So I'll do an uppercut or AA jab into uppercut then lightning trap. After the first lightning trap, they won't let it happen again. What they will do is eh slide out but I'll just bait and punish.

Just Stay out of the corner and zone with lightning, arrow, reflect, b22, axe and when u get in, stay in with f3 pressure. Practice and knowing the right ranges is key. Very heavy footsie game.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Help against a turtleing cage.

Your life's easy if cage turtles!

Reflect all projectiles, shoot arrows, use lightning/eh lightning, absorb fireballs if you need to keep the life lead.

You can out turtle Johnny cage all day. If you have the life lead, he HAS to come to you

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Turtling* cage and strategy in general. Also help against Sonya
Against cage you can't let hm on you...you need to play footsies with him to get him to block. Once he is blocking it opens up eh lightning. Stay outside of jump distance and punish his dash ins with b22 or axe...just don't let axe wiff. Also space with d4 as much as possible.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Sonya is very similar to cage. She is rushdown and you can't let her on you. Save your meter for breakers and try to bait eh cartwheels so she loses meter. B aware of her ability to dive kick and punish it hard when u can. By punishing her dive kick you force her to use it sparingly. Now you can use AA that you couldn't before.

Footsies, don't jump AT ALL, axe her d4 or litning her d4, or JK her d4