What's new

Story thread- this game will have the most characters in an NRS story (Spoilers)

mattteo

Noob
MK9 had 25 characters at launch and they all appeared in the story, as well as 3 unplayable ones- Goro, Kintaro and Shao Kahn- and Motaro, Shinnok, so 30 overall.

MKX had a few more, as in 24 from the base roster (cause pre-order Goro was not) and Tanya, Rain, Sindel, Baraka, Smoke, Nightwolf, Kabal, Stryker, Sareena, Frost, Fujin, Bo'Rai Cho in cutscenes, so 36 overall ( Sektor kind of too but not really)

MK1 went back to having less, cause there were 25 from base roster+ Cyrax, Sektor, Shinnok and Kronika in cutscenes, so 29.

I am not talking about Aftermath that had a few more characters (5), just the initial story.

Now for MK1 we will have 23 playable characters that we know of and 16 kameos (who I have reason to believe will be in the story except for the 3 that are also on the base roster- Kung Lao, Scorpion and Sub-Zero. Thus, we have already seen cutscenes with Goro, Motaro, Sareena and it is very likely that Sonya, Kano, Jax, Stryker, Cyrax, Sektor, Frost- the last 3 in whichever form, human or cyborg in the story-, Darrius, Sareena, Shujinko and one other will be in the story, am pretty sure Sareena is helping Quan Chi). So that's 23 we know of +13 kameos, so 36 so far. The boss of the game is speculated to be Kronika so she appears again (not even counting Cetrion kameo). Or another boss, still 1 more. The 3 in KP1, Quan Chi, Ermac and Takeda from the future are also in the story mode apparently and because we've seen/heard about Khameleon and Tremor I am willing to bet that Mavado (also leaked by Diamond Vision as being in the story) and Ferra and all KP1 kameos except van Damme skin have a minor role in the story mode and have models, like Khameleon. Also, the 3 other kombat kids are meant to appear in a quick scene from an alternate timeline where they were corrupted by Shang Tsung and there are models for them AND for Fujin from Shang's ending in MK11, if not for more characters from there

THAT TAKES THE TOTAL CHARACTERS TO 48, but we also know we will find out what happened to Hanzo Hasashi in this timeline and the newest leaks say that he has been killed and returns at NPC Noob, in the story mode. Either this or simply Hanzo, that's one more. Also, there will be Damashi and even if Onaga is freed or not by the end, Damashi still is the presence of the character in the game. Jade may have a model too, at the very least she is mentioned or somewhere in the background at the Edenian Court. That's more than 50 characters and I am not even counting Cyber Smoke as a separate one. Also not counting characters who haven't been in games before (Jerrod).

NRS has never had so many characters in the same storyline. The only times there have been so many were in the Deception and Armageddon konquest modes. I am happy and think this is the best way in which NRS could have gone. People want to see their faves. I remember I simply loved Sareena in MKX even though she wasn't playable. She looked amazing. There will be lots of 'That's X, OMG' moments.

Last edited:

mattteo

Noob
Ok, maybe the Noob Saibot and Onaga parts were bullshit.

But still, I think we will see 50 characters in the story. An important effort